Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-01-2010, 10:30 AM   #1
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Feel Good Story of the Year!!

Well, it is early in the year, but I think I will call it.

I got my kindle back!!! Got a call this morning, someone tried to sell it to this guy (Michael), and he took it out of my nice Oberon case, and saw the business card taped to the back of the case. The seller said "I found it, I will return it." Michael said "You tried to sell it, I will return it." Unbeknowst to him, there had been a business card taped to the inside front cover - that had been removed.

It had been offered for $200. I'm thinking a Starbucks gift card.

Obviously, I have wracked some karma up somewhere!

Debra
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:32 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Congratulations on getting your Kindle back. The business card was a very good idea.

So can this seller get in trouble for trying to sell it?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2010, 10:36 AM   #3
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
That's fantastic news!!! Does that mean you will have 2 kindles now?
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:39 AM   #4
drmaxx
Connoisseur
drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!

Device: none
It is great to see that there is a lot of good out there in the world!
drmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:50 AM   #5
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
I am SO happy for you! And glad that at least the intended buyer had some scruples. May a lightning bolt (with your business card attached) find the seller.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2010, 10:51 AM   #6
columbus
Wizard
columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs 650, 505
That's great news! How long has it been now?
(remember reading your post when you lost it but can't remember when).
columbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:58 AM   #7
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Wow, that was really nice of him!! You better return the favor somehow.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:12 AM   #8
SimonSays
No wire hangers, ever!
SimonSays will become famous soon enoughSimonSays will become famous soon enoughSimonSays will become famous soon enoughSimonSays will become famous soon enoughSimonSays will become famous soon enoughSimonSays will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-300
That is great news! How smart of the "buyer" to check the back too.

I think a Starbucks card would be great
SimonSays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:49 AM   #9
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
that is fantastic! and how gutsy of the buyer to stand up to the seller!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:51 AM   #10
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Wow, that's great!
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 12:59 PM   #11
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
The guy who was buying your Kindle and noticed your card definitely just earned some karma. How many people would tell the seller (thief) that they were going to take the Kindle and make sure it got back to its rightful owner. That's one hell of a guy (or gal).
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 01:17 PM   #12
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So can this seller get in trouble for trying to sell it?
Probably, but life is too short - he lost a $200 sale, I think that is enough for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbus View Post
How long has it been now?
(remember reading your post when you lost it but can't remember when).
Sometime in November. So it has been awhile. I had written it off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
The guy who was buying your Kindle and noticed your card definitely just earned some karma. How many people would tell the seller (thief) that they were going to take the Kindle and make sure it got back to its rightful owner. That's one hell of a guy (or gal).
I agree. The more I think about it, I don't think a Starbucks card is sufficient. I replaced the kindle, and no one else in my family reads for pleasure. I have 2 chargers at home. I'm thinking of asking him if he would like to keep it, I will give him the chargers (and even the original box) and he gives me $50. What do you think?
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 01:31 PM   #13
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
He was willing to pay $200 for it -- I think he'd be thrilled.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 01:34 PM   #14
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
Sounds like a good idea to me. As you do, I *always* put at least 2 ID's on my portable devices. I usually use return address labels, of which I have a plethora, because they're both self-adhesive & small enough to hide. I always put one in plain sight, both to make it easy for honest people to return it & to fool the dishonest ones into thinking they've removed the ID-then I hide another one somewhere, so I can positively identify the device if it turns up somewhere. (I know they have serial #'s, which I have recorded, but I don't carry the serial #'s with me all the time-so something similar to 'initials scratched in the case' but without the damage works best for me.)

Not that I've ever lost a device, but I figure it's a little late to take precautions after the device is gone.

And being able to do anything to the seller would be questionable anyway-he can always claim that *he* bought it in good faith. Sure, he'd probably be lying-but how would you prove it? So I think your decision on that is a good one, too.

Last edited by calvin-c; 03-01-2010 at 01:37 PM.
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 01:37 PM   #15
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Cool story, and your idea of selling it to the hero and a greatly reduced cost is a great idea.... a little bit of my faith in humanity is restored
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote