Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 01-03-2010, 11:15 AM   #1
DeColores
DeColores began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS900, KindleDX, Nook
science pdfs on ereader

I'm need to be ready for some major exams by the week of Jan. 17, 2010. I bought the Sony Daily Reader, Kindle DX, and Nook with the idea that one of them would work with complicated science type PDFs. The Sony seems to come closest to working, which means I can take notes and keep different subjects somewhat organized, but I can't seem to get the PDFs to be more than miserable to read in terms of font size etc. I'm wondering if it's possible to convert all the PDFs to some other format and then reload them onto my ereader(s). Time is of the essence, so if I can't do what it takes over the next couple of days, I'm thinking I should just print all the papers out (about 50 of them). Any advice? Thanks.
DeColores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 11:30 AM   #2
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Technical/scientific PDFs generally do not survive well the process of converting them from PDF to another format. I'd advise either tweaking the PDFs or converting them to images and working with the images to make them better work on your screen size.

Try tools like soPDF , PDFLRF and/or PaperCrop to see if any of them yield something that you can read comfortably.

I use these tools to read technical PDFs on my Sony PRS-505, which has a much smaller screen than a Daily Edition or DX.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2010, 12:10 AM   #3
Jürgen Hubert
Enthusiast
Jürgen Hubert will become famous soon enoughJürgen Hubert will become famous soon enoughJürgen Hubert will become famous soon enoughJürgen Hubert will become famous soon enoughJürgen Hubert will become famous soon enoughJürgen Hubert will become famous soon enough

Device: iRex 1000S
If your papers have any kind of complex mathematical equations, then I am afraid your attempts at conversion are doomed - I know that I've tried.

Nowadays I just use my iRex DR1000S, which works like a charm for scientific papers.
Jürgen Hubert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 05:48 AM   #4
tanzifi
tanzifi began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Hi,

This was my old problem; but I handled it to my best, in a way that COMPLETELY fits my Sony Reader PRS-600 by
1- Converting .pdf to .lrf using PDFREAD software,which you may find in this forum, by activating 'no edge enhance' and 'optimize PNGs', setting 'Cropping Percent' to zero, and using "prs505-p" profile
2-Converting .lrf to .pdf using CALIBRE software in this forum and setting margins to zero , and 'Chapter Mark' to 'None'

Do the above exactly and you'll find that the result is outstanding.

Regards,
tanzifi is offline   Reply With Quote