Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-15-2009, 10:58 AM   #1
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
PRS-900 specifications and manuals are up

Specs page.
You can also preorder now. No release date announced yet.
Manual link now only leads to the map of the wireless coverage, but Gunnerp245 discovered a link to the Quick Start Guide which shows the battery module installation(!) and a screenshot of how Sony Store looks like on the device:
Click image for larger version

Name:	prs900store.png
Views:	582
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	39259
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 02:30 PM   #2
Nine989
Ebook Destroyer
Nine989 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505 - Kindle 2 - Kindle Dx
So it has user replaceable battery?
Nine989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2009, 02:59 PM   #3
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
When is it supposed to get out ?
Any words about europe ?
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 04:06 PM   #4
nwinter
Zealot
nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: sony PS-505, Iphone and about to add a Kindle DX
I am in love........ I love my PRS 505 but would like the screen a little bigger so this is perfect. I shall wait as long as I need to.

Natalie
nwinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 04:33 PM   #5
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
When is it supposed to get out ?
Any words about europe ?
My guess would be around mid December, when they switch the store to EPUB.
As for the second question,
Quote:
  • A SIM card is factory installed. Please do not remove the SIM card.
  • Wireless connectivity is only available in the USA, within the service coverage area. Connectivity may vary.
  • Turn off the wireless feature outside the USA. Do not use the wireless feature in other countries.
Also
Quote:
Supports HSPA, UMTS, Edge, and GPRS data services with two bands (850 and 1900 MHz)
while Europe uses 900/1800.
Advert
Old 11-15-2009, 04:57 PM   #6
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwinter View Post
I am in love........ I love my PRS 505 but would like the screen a little bigger so this is perfect. I shall wait as long as I need to.

Natalie
As I mentioned in another thread:

Quote:
Resolution : 600 x 1024 pixels
Screen Size : Vizplex™ 7.1 inches

Note that, as it looked from the photos of the unit, the aspect ratio is not the 3:4 one you have on other units. So the 7.1 inch figure makes it seem "more larger" than it actually is. This unit (doing a little high school math) will have a screen size of roughly 3.6 by 6.1 inches. But a "real" 7.1 inch screen-- meaning one keeping the 3:4 aspect ratio of other e-paper readers-- would have a resolution of 768x1024 and a screen size of 4.6 by 6.1 inches. So you are losing a full inch of screen width from what is implied by the listed diagonal measurement.
which means that the "7.1-inch" 900 will be the same 3.6 inch width as your 6-inch 505. It will be 1.3 inches taller. What that means is that PDFs and other documents that already fit the width of your display will be not one millimeter bigger and will just have more white (okay, slightly grey) space at the top and bottom. The extra width will only matter on documents without set page sizes-- those will able to have extra lines of text. (The extra height will turn to extra width in landscape mode, of course-- in that case, the height will be the same as your 505.)

Because of all this, I don't conciser the "7.1-inch" to be a 7.1-inch screen, just an "enhanced" 6-inch screen.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 05:16 PM   #7
igorsk
Wizard

On a whim I decided to check the FCC OET database and sure enough PRS900 is there. While no detailed pictures are available yet, I did discover some things:
1) The FCC label image says MADE IN JAPAN.
2) The confidentiality request letter says (emphasis mine):
Quote:
For the product stated above, we request this confidentiality on the basis of ensuring that business sensitive information remains confidential until the actual marketing of our new device, which is planned for Dec, 15,2009.
3) The GSM module (Ericsson F3507g) supports only 850/1900 frequencies. So no wireless in Europe even if you manage to disable software locks.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:03 PM   #8
nwinter
Zealot
nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: sony PS-505, Iphone and about to add a Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
As I mentioned in another thread:

which means that the "7.1-inch" 900 will be the same 3.6 inch width as your 6-inch 505. It will be 1.3 inches taller. What that means is that PDFs and other documents that already fit the width of your display will be not one millimeter bigger and will just have more white (okay, slightly grey) space at the top and bottom. The extra width will only matter on documents without set page sizes-- those will able to have extra lines of text. (The extra height will turn to extra width in landscape mode, of course-- in that case, the height will be the same as your 505.)

Because of all this, I don't conciser the "7.1-inch" to be a 7.1-inch screen, just an "enhanced" 6-inch screen.
I dont use it for PDF doc's and only read books that I buy from the Sony store so the extra lines on the page and the fact that it is touch screen verses the button I have now means that for my application its a great product ( well I hope). I was thinking if I buy the 900 then I could sell my 505 but that would be a really silly move as the 505 is great - I just want more words on the page. I guess everyone has different requirements for any reader which is why is great there are so many choices. As for me, Ill be lining up when they are released and even though I live O/S I have a friend who will accept delivery and forward it for me.

Natalie
nwinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 09:18 PM   #9
schmolch
Connoisseur
schmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it is

Device: Kindle
They should make it twice as high so it can fit 4 pages.
schmolch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 10:13 PM   #10
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
If they do PDF rendering right on this device, the 7.1" screen would actually be a perfect fit for many PDF documents that are a bit to "tall" for the current readers. (eg: remove the margins and your store bought PDF's suddenly display perfectly on the device...)
sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 10:28 PM   #11
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
$400 MSRP, eh?

Even with the added features, I can't imagine this will be a big seller -- especially if it has the same glare issues as the 600.

Then again, knowing the psychology of price, adding a $400 model may well make the other models seem more reasonably priced, and may up sales of the 600....
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 05:15 AM   #12
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
The GSM module (Ericsson F3507g) supports only 850/1900 frequencies. So no wireless in Europe even if you manage to disable software locks.
I don't care much about using wireless. But that probably means i won't be able to buy it.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 11:33 AM   #13
rainsux
rainsux began at the beginning.

Device: BB Curve
The SonyStyle link for the Owner's Manual, actually links to the AT&T 3G coverage map.

Anyone have a link for the Owners's Manual? (Not the Quick Start guide)

-doug
rainsux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 01:17 AM   #14
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
This device is pretty high on my next-to-buy list at the moment.
I am waiting for the news on the glare issue (as compared to PRS-600).
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 05:12 AM   #15
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by m-reader View Post
I am waiting for the news on the glare issue (as compared to PRS-600).
99.9999....% it is going to be 1:1 like 600.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote