Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 12-02-2009, 08:30 AM   #16
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura81 View Post
Thanks for the heads up, Robert! Is there any chance at some point of improving the ability to read .lit files? I tried to read a few on my PP and the device just freezes up and I have to reset it. So to me it can't read .lit files if it's going to do that when I try.
I have the exact same issue with .lit files on my PocketPRO - every one of them locks up the unit, requiring a reset to unfreeze it.

93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 08:34 AM   #17
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
Robert,

Do you feel it might be possible to have the firmware implement the use of a logfile at all? I'm asking as I have some fb2 files that start to load, then just drops me back to the main menu and I have nothing to work off to diagnose the problem (either the device or the fb2 file). This might also be of use with other file formats such as the common complaint of .lit, and even mobi files. The issues people are having might not be so much with the reader but more the file itself.

Just a question, doesn't hurt to ask.
I actually just had this happen to me with an ePub file. The only fix I was able to find was to reconvert the original file format (I think it was either .txt or html) to ePub, wihich worked fine the second time, IIRC.
Advert
Old 12-02-2009, 10:19 AM   #18
Laura81
Addict
Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by omro View Post
Does the PP anti-alias the fonts in PDFs like Acrobat allows you to?
Could there be an option to turn the anti-alias off on the PP, which Acrobat also allows you to do?

I turn off the anti-aliasing on PDFs that I have trouble reading on screen and that helps. If the PP doesn't support this, maybe it could be a feature request?
Honestly I don't even know what anti-aliasing is.
Laura81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 10:35 AM   #19
omro
Addict
omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Honestly I don't even know what anti-aliasing is.
omro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 10:50 AM   #20
Laura81
Addict
Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 5
Ah, bitmapped looks much better!
Laura81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2009, 11:22 AM   #21
ekaser
Opinion Artiste
ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Ah, bitmapped looks much better!
It's a matter of taste, and is better illustrated with two examples, the one above, that easily shows what's being done, and the one below that shows the actual results. The "anti-aliasing" is done to 'smooth' the edges of the characters, to get rid of the 'jaggedness' caused by discrete, individual stepping of "all on" or "all off" pixels. At REALLY small font sizes, the non-anti-aliased will actually be more readable, but at any half-way decent resolution (giving enough pixels to work with), the anti-aliased will look much better.

Click image for larger version

Name:	anti-alias.jpg
Views:	684
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	40583

(Okay, I give up. You'll have to click on the image to see it full-sized, as I can't remember now WHAT you have to do to get a stupid image to show up full-sized IN the post. Sigh.)

Last edited by DaleDe; 12-03-2009 at 12:08 PM. Reason: try to make the image bigger.
ekaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 01:18 PM   #22
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
What will be on Firmware Upgrade

Dear All:

I did hear back from China and the firmware upgrade will include:

1. Swedish, Danish, and Thai language support (many people are asking for this and waiting patiently, particularly in Europe).

2. Change to scroll wheel where when you push "in" on the nib it will change the mode from page up and page down to adjusting the music volume. (many people want to be able to adjust the volume of the music while they continue reading).

3.The Visable Clock will be placed in the status bar down near where the Battery Charge icon is now.

These changes will apply to both the 6 inch and the 5 inch!

We hope it will be up on our website no later than next Monday.

Yes, I have heard all the comments about the need to read LIT better. The factory believes the problem is only with "large" LIT files. I will have the engineers go to work on trying to improve the LIT function so it works better and faster and will do larger files.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 01:44 PM   #23
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, PocketBook 360, Astak PocketPro (RIP), Tungsten T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasMcKean View Post
That's very interesting! Yew are putting forth that the problem is not with the reader or the device, but rather with the files?

I suppose I could see that ... MAYBE ... with some .mobi files, but my understanding is no one has gotten the .lit files to work properly.

In the case of .mobi, the errors do seem to be random. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't, sometimes they freeze half way through and sometimes it is never a problem. Under these circumstances, being as the problem is very intermittent, it will be quite difficult to track down.

In the case of .lit, I would say it is much more likely the reader than the files...
Why does this surprise you. I couldn't make Astak or BeBooks firmware do anything with some Calibre created FB2 files. They simply wouldn't open. I installed the LBook firmware and those books open without any problem and look really nice. Now, if the menus were just in English instead of Ukrainian...

My LIT files convert very well into ePubs, so I don't worry about trying to read them.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 02:57 PM   #24
ThomasMcKean
Disabilities Advocate
ThomasMcKean doesn't litterThomasMcKean doesn't litter

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Yes, I have heard all the comments about the need to read LIT better. The factory believes the problem is only with "large" LIT files. I will have the engineers go to work on trying to improve the LIT function so it works better and faster and will do larger files.
YAY!!!!!!
ThomasMcKean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 03:29 PM   #25
93terp
Fear The Turtle!

Quote:
Dear All:

What is the definition of a "large" .lit file? The ones I was trying to open were maybe 500kb at the largest...
Old 12-02-2009, 04:25 PM   #26
diokdin
Groupie
diokdin began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 4, Astak EZ Pocket Pro, Kindle 3 3G
Quote:
Great!
diokdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 05:07 PM   #27
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
3.The Visable Clock will be placed in the status bar down near where the Battery Charge icon is now.
In all formats? ...and will the status bar be permanently visible when reading ePubs?
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 06:45 PM   #28
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
In all formats? ...and will the status bar be permanently visible when reading ePubs?

I would be willing to bet that since the Hanlin rendition of ADE does not even have a status bar that there will be no clock display for EPUB or PDF.

The Lbook firmware already has the clock display in CoolReader's status bar and the factory implementation is much more likely to be a clone of what Lbook has already done, which means a status bar ( now with clock) for all book formats except EPUB and PDF.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 06:59 PM   #29
wpeace
Seer
wpeace began at the beginning.

Device: Nook WP7 Pocket PC/SmartQ7/Pocket Pro/A5A iPad Streak 5
Quote:
Dear All:

Am I to read this correctly you're replacing the battery charge indicator?
I'd really like to have both
wpeace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 07:01 PM   #30
omro
Addict
omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
The Visable Clock will be placed in the status bar down near where the Battery Charge icon is now
Don't think so based on what was said in the post.
omro is offline   Reply With Quote