I do it with the little finger. 1 1.08%
I do it with all my fingers (please explain) 2 2.15%
I do it with a toe 1 1.08%
I use another way (please specify) 2 2.15%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-26-2009, 05:10 PM   #31
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
I usually have my Reader propped up so I am reading hands-free, and I use my pinky fingernail on my left hand in a right-to-left gesture most of the time (sometimes I use the buttons).

I read while I'm eating, with my Sony in a bookstand on the left of my lapdesk and my food on the right. I can keep my left pinky fingernail clean no matter what I'm eating!

Never having had an eReader before, I took the raised frame for granted. It will make it easier to apply a screen protector, and I think it looks elegant!! Since I never got used to anything else, I also have no big problem having no "back" button, although I can see it would be useful.

The only thing I have doubts about is the size of the buttons and their placement. I was hitting the "home" button when I meant to turn a page (, more careful now! ), and I have to support the Reader with my hand behind it to use the buttons. That's because I have mine in a pink(!) m-edge case flipped backwards and held closed by its strap. You see?? No? Aarrrgh! If I had a picture I wouldn't need so many words!

Fi
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 08:58 PM   #32
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelC View Post
Okay just to finally resolve this (although probably no one cares anymore ) I am on my macbook now and it is definitely left to right for page forward and right to left for page back.

Mel
thanks for the confirmation mel ! it's very interesting to know that. i wonder what the logic is (i.e. is it similar to the communication theory left to righ = going towards the future). anyway it's quite surprising (but interesting) to see that apple uses both configurations in their devices.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2009, 03:09 AM   #33
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Gen3 PRS-505 PRS-600 PB360 PB302 K2 Opus BebookMini OnyxBoox K3 KDXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filark View Post
I usually have my Reader propped up so I am reading hands-free, and I use my pinky fingernail on my left hand in a right-to-left gesture most of the time (sometimes I use the buttons).

I read while I'm eating, with my Sony in a bookstand on the left of my lapdesk and my food on the right. I can keep my left pinky fingernail clean no matter what I'm eating!
Neat tecnique!

Quote:
The only thing I have doubts about is the size of the buttons and their placement. I was hitting the "home" button when I meant to turn a page (, more careful now! ), and I have to support the Reader with my hand behind it to use the buttons. That's because I have mine in a pink(!) m-edge case flipped backwards and held closed by its strap. You see?? No? Aarrrgh! If I had a picture I wouldn't need so many words!

Fi
I can see it, and yes, buttons could have been put somewhere more ergonomic...
Juliette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 10:16 AM   #34
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliette View Post
Looking at the poll- nobody really uses the ring finger? That's the only option with a 0... (I can see some reason, as it feels weaker- but maybe it's just me )
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I don't know what a "ring finger" is. From the other options in the poll I'm guessing it's the finger next to the little finger? I never knew that there was a specific finger that one had to wear a ring on .
Something I learned a LONG time ago from a cosmetician, the Ring finger (or Wedding finger) is one of the weaker fingers and thus the one we should use when applying make-up. Accord the cosmetician, you want to use the least amount of pressure on the skin, particularly around the eyes, to keep the skin youthful.

I've been trying out Zelda's friend's suggestion of "pushing" the page (a gesture from Right-to-Left) with my thumb for the past few days. I like using it on the 600 since that way I don't encounter the frame. It is taking me a little time to get used to it as I've been using the LtoR gesture for many months, but it is seems to be a little gentler on my arthritic thumb knuckle. So. . .Thanks, Zelda's Friend!!
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 10:27 AM   #35
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazbates View Post
Something I learned a LONG time ago from a cosmetician, the Ring finger (or Wedding finger) is one of the weaker fingers and thus the one we should use when applying make-up. Accord the cosmetician, you want to use the least amount of pressure on the skin, particularly around the eyes, to keep the skin youthful.
duly noted.

Quote:
I've been trying out Zelda's friend's suggestion of "pushing" the page (a gesture from Right-to-Left) with my thumb for the past few days. I like using it on the 600 since that way I don't encounter the frame. It is taking me a little time to get used to it as I've been using the LtoR gesture for many months, but it is seems to be a little gentler on my arthritic thumb knuckle. So. . .Thanks, Zelda's Friend!!
good to know. i tried a different gesture last night, since i switched to holding it in my left hand, using my thumb. it was still the same direction (r-to-l) but since it was my other hand it was the opposite gesture (thumb going towards the hand). i'm not sure whether it was because it was my left hand, or the gesture itself, but i found it really uncomfortable and soon went back to using my right hand (thumb going away from the hand to turn pages). also i seemed to have much more trouble getting the swipes to register using the left thumb, but that was probably because it's my weaker hand and it's less adroit.
Advert
Old 09-27-2009, 10:35 AM   #36
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
duly noted.

good to know. i tried a different gesture last night, since i switched to holding it in my left hand, using my thumb. it was still the same direction (r-to-l) but since it was my other hand it was the opposite gesture (thumb going towards the hand). i'm not sure whether it was because it was my left hand, or the gesture itself, but i found it really uncomfortable and soon went back to using my right hand (thumb going away from the hand to turn pages). also i seemed to have much more trouble getting the swipes to register using the left thumb, but that was probably because it's my weaker hand and it's less adroit.
I can barely do ANYTHING with my left hand. It's mainly there as support for whatever my right hand is doing! Actually, because I am using the M-Edge cover, I need to use both hands while reading, just as I would with a paperbook. For the most part, though, I prop the book on a pillow on my lap and "turn pages" with my right hand.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:37 AM   #37
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazbates View Post
I can barely do ANYTHING with my left hand. It's mainly there as support for whatever my right hand is doing! Actually, because I am using the M-Edge cover, I need to use both hands while reading, just as I would with a paperbook. For the most part, though, I prop the book on a pillow on my lap and "turn pages" with my right hand.
that's what i like about the sony covers, you can fold them back and still hold the thing with one hand. i think they're still not available here yet (i haven't checked in a few days) so i might try to buy one online, because i really don't like that slipcase.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:41 AM   #38
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
that's what i like about the sony covers, you can fold them back and still hold the thing with one hand. i think they're still not available here yet (i haven't checked in a few days) so i might try to buy one online, because i really don't like that slipcase.
They have just become available in the UK in the last few days - I've just bought one for my 600. Overpriced, but good.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 10:44 AM   #39
kazbates
Wizard

Quote:
I could fold the M-edge cover back, but the leather is so nice that I didn't want to crease it. (I have over 2000 paperback books and none of them have any creases in the spine. How do you say Obsessive Compulsive Disorder in French ~ not that I want to start anything. ) I just received the new one for my 600 a few days ago. I was surprised that it was larger than the one I had ordered for my 700. There is extra space at the "spine" for a book light. I contacted the company and they don't have any booklights available for it yet but are anticipating some being available "in the Autumn" whatever that means.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:44 AM   #40
kazbates
Wizard

Quote:
They have just become available in the UK in the last few days - I've just bought one for my 600. Overpriced, but good.
Harry ~ Did you get the one with the light?
Old 09-27-2009, 10:48 AM   #41
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
No, just the standard one. I saw the light cover for the PRS-505 and it seemed pretty horrible to me; the light coverage was very uneven, and the light diffuser made the screen look very "foggy".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 10:51 AM   #42
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

"Autumn" in the broadest sense possible, I suppose- I was said to wait for the end of the month, but it's here
Old 09-27-2009, 10:54 AM   #43
kazbates
Wizard

Quote:
No, just the standard one. I saw the light cover for the PRS-505 and it seemed pretty horrible to me; the light coverage was very uneven, and the light diffuser made the screen look very "foggy".
I was concerned that it might have added a lot of weight. I'm anxious to see what the M-Edge people will market. I liked the look of the light they provided for the Kindle, but they told me it was too long for the the 505 cover I purchased for the 600. The 505 cover fits the 600 fairly well and has a sleeve or slot on the right hand side that would fit a light like the one they sell for the Kindle. Right now, I use a mighty-bright clip, but would prefer something incorporated with the cover.
Old 09-27-2009, 12:16 PM   #44
Juliette
I eat books

I use a model similar to the UltraThin LED Book Light and I must say that M-Edge really works out well with the 505. I'm not that sure with the 600, given the glare issues...
Old 09-27-2009, 12:26 PM   #45
emaxt6
emaxt6 began at the beginning.

Device: gen3
Does the 600 have an oleophobic treatment on the surface of the screen like others touch devices on the market?
emaxt6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
page turn gesture, prs-600, touch screen