Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-27-2009, 12:54 AM   #1
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Favor: check free ebook for me?

Kindle users...

I'm working on creating a free version of Bertrand Russell's 1919 classic Introduction to Mathematical Philosophy, available online in many different formats. (This is in the public domain, though I've produced a new corrected version with consultation from the Bertrand Russell Archives, which I'm distributing freely.)

I have working HTML, PDF (in various sizes) and ePub versions, but I want also to make available a version that works on Gen 1-2 Kindles, so I created a mobi version. The limitations of the file format created certain difficulties, particular with regard to some of the mathematical notation used in it.

In particular, it uses the Hebrew letter aleph as a name for certain transfinite numbers (standard since Cantor), but this can't be done the normal way in the mobi format, so I resorted to putting in a tiny in-line image that looks like the character. I'm curious how it looks on a Kindle, but I don't own or even have access to one. (I have checked what it looks like in Mobipocket creator, but I'm not sure if that's indicative.)

Would someone be kind enough to load it on their Kindle, and let me know what it looks like, particularly the alephs, which are mainly in chapters 8-9. (You can compare it to the HTML or PDF versions if need be.) Screenshots would be nice, but not necessary.

In return, you get a free book!

If so, you can download the .mobi version from project page here. (You can also find the other versions there too.)

Once I know it's working properly, I'll upload it here too.

Thanks in advance!
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 05:55 AM   #2
Slow_hand
Groupie
Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
Looks out of place - very pixellated.
Slow_hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2009, 07:21 AM   #3
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

That's a shame. Not quite sure what to do about it... Thanks, though.

If anyone can do a screenshot, however, I'd appreciate it.
Old 09-07-2009, 07:53 AM   #4
zacheryjensen
Addict
zacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, iPhone 4
I've posted a flickr set. I took pics with my iPhone, at night in poor lighting, so hopefully they aren't TOO bad to see what it's like. In person it's slightly easier to see the pixelation. What you probably need to do is render an image of the character *without* font smoothing (antialiasing). But, honestly, I don't think it's that bad. If you got rid of antialiasing, use a more slender glyph maybe, and made it slightly smaller, I wouldn't have thought anything of it. Enjoy the pics!
zacheryjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 12:58 PM   #5
frabjous
Wizard

Wow, thanks so much Zachery. Above and beyond the call of duty!

As luck would have it, last night I uploaded a new version with a different, slimmer aleph (rendered with PNG rather than a GIF image). I'm not sure which version yours are of: pre- or post-change. If you know when you downloaded it, or have the "version number" (which should be on one of the opening pages -- probably something like 0.996), that would be helpful.

I don't think I can expect perfection here. Actually what bothered me more about your pictures is the size of the aleph relative to the text around it, which is not how it looks in MobiPocket reader, though I worry that making it smaller will have a bad effect on other .mobi-reading devices.

Isn't it possible to actually take a screenshot on Kindle rather than a photo? The reason I think so is that someone once sent me some...
Advert
Old 09-07-2009, 05:26 PM   #6
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by frabjous View Post
Isn't it possible to actually take a screenshot on Kindle rather than a photo? The reason I think so is that someone once sent me some...
Yes, I think it is Alt-Shift-G to take a screen shot... It saves them in the device on the Kindle 2 and I think on the memory card on a Kindle 1

Last edited by rcuadro; 09-07-2009 at 05:39 PM.
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 05:37 PM   #7
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here are a couple direct screen shots from a Kindle 2...
You will also notice that you can find page numbers enclosed in brackets throughout the text.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-125.gif
Views:	291
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	35595   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-126.gif
Views:	295
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	35596   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-127.gif
Views:	300
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	35597  
Old 09-07-2009, 05:48 PM   #8
frabjous
Wizard

Those are great shots.

I don't think there's really any way to make them less pixelated -- turning off antialiasing might help a little, but I doubt very much. Still, I should perhaps try to make them smaller.

Thanks to everyone for their help.

P.S. The page numbers indicated in the text are of course deliberate.
Old 09-07-2009, 06:55 PM   #9
rcuadro
Wizard

While they are pixelated I don't think that is a big issue. it gets the point across.As for the page numbers, I skimmed though it and it does reference page numbers in the text so I can see how it is helpful but I think they look funny being in the middle of the text and a bit distracting
Old 09-07-2009, 08:02 PM   #10
frabjous
Wizard

I totally understand why you feel that way -- I actually find them distracting too. But if the book were going to be used in a classroom setting (which is the most likely use), having the page numbers precisely marked is very important. It's also something the other academics I've worked with on this project have been very insistent upon. I mark them in a different, and hopefully less distracting, way in the PDF versions, but I can't think of another way to do them with the limits of the .mobi format. If you have any other suggestions, I'll definitely consider them though!
Old 09-07-2009, 11:40 PM   #11
frabjous
Wizard

OK, I've taken one more stab at this, and uploaded a version with a smaller aleph with no anti-aliasing in the image here: imp.mobi (download)

If anyone had the time to check that out on a Kindle and post a screenshot, of course I'd greatly appreciate it, though I'd understand if no one had the time to be my personal tester.

Thanks!
Old 09-11-2009, 01:11 AM   #12
zacheryjensen
Addict
zacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, iPhone 4
Screenshots this time! Though of course you don't get to see what it really looks like on the real screen but it's close enough I guess.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-13453.gif
Views:	263
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	35714   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-13454.gif
Views:	258
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	35715   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-13455.gif
Views:	271
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	35716  
zacheryjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 08:26 AM   #13
frabjous
Wizard

Thanks so much! I really appreciate your help. The Karma is on me.

I'll admit it doesn't look great, but I'm pretty much out of ideas on how to make it look better.
Old 09-12-2009, 01:55 PM   #14
rcuadro
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by frabjous View Post
I'll admit it doesn't look great, but I'm pretty much out of ideas on how to make it look better.
I think it looks good enough