Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-29-2009, 02:40 PM   #1
jotas
Connoisseur
jotas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jotas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jotas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jotas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jotas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: who knows?
Sony font scaling : time to change?

I didn't like too much Sony font scaling in the past, but considering the new readers and supported formats (PDF improved a lot, I like it, ePub should improve, LRF remains for compatibility), as well as new sizes... really Sony can't do better with scaling?

In the past, we had S, M, L sizes; now for new ones (hope in a near future Sony really supports customers and release a new 505 firmware), we have XL and XXL. I consider XL and XXL almost useless.

The problem is that all levels scale from a base size, and Sony always go to a bigger one. IMHO, this is totally wrong. Sony will do much better if they add more levels, and also scaling down.

Let's say, having 8 levels, and 4 as the reference level, so:

(1) <(2)
(2) <(3)
(3) <(4)
(4) Is the base (file/format coded) level, current "S" one
(5) Is M
(6) Is L
(7) Is XL
(8) Is XXL

This can be done also using 5 levels as actually, maybe removing XXL (8) and creating (3) as "Small", and (4) continuing to be base one, "Normal".

But, as many levels and options, the better.

Last edited by jotas; 08-29-2009 at 02:56 PM. Reason: change font size, just as Sony ;-)
jotas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 02:45 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I have to say that the font in the above message is, for me, unreadable .

Many devices offer a much wider range of font sizes than the Sony devices do; eg the Bookeen devices have 12 font sizes which one selects from a menu. Perhaps Sony would be advised to do something similar?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2009, 03:00 PM   #3
jotas
Connoisseur
jotas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jotas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jotas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jotas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jotas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I have to say that the font in the above message is, for me, unreadable .
Oooppss.... sorry! Better, now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Many devices offer a much wider range of font sizes than the Sony devices do; eg the Bookeen devices have 12 font sizes which one selects from a menu. Perhaps Sony would be advised to do something similar?
Yes! Definitely!

Cybook devices are ones of these having a wider range of fonts. They promised two upcoming releases for MOBI and/or ADE, supporting 12 (12!) font sizes ... we will see.

Thanks! Regards!
Old 08-29-2009, 03:03 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
That's much better, thanks .

Yes, it was the Bookeen CyBook devices to which I was referring. I have both a CyBook Gen3 (with Mobipocket) and a CyBook Opus (with ADE). Both offer a choice of 12 font sizes.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 05:15 PM   #5
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
I agree. It would be pretty easy to add 1-2 smaller fonts and 3-4 larger fonts relative to the "base" size, which should cover a good size range for most original files.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2009, 05:43 PM   #6
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
A smaller font option would make the books from Sony's store readable for me. The only time I want 12 pt text in LRFs is when I'm reading in dim light; it's too big to be comfortable during the daytime. I feel like the book is shouting at me.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 05:54 PM   #7
jotas
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoze View Post
I agree. It would be pretty easy to add 1-2 smaller fonts and 3-4 larger fonts relative to the "base" size, which should cover a good size range for most original files.
Yes, and big ones should scale better. They are too big, and too different.
Old 08-29-2009, 06:00 PM   #8
jotas
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
A smaller font option would make the books from Sony's store readable for me. The only time I want 12 pt text in LRFs is when I'm reading in dim light; it's too big to be comfortable during the daytime. I feel like the book is shouting at me.
LRFs use to be coded at 10 or 12pt, so more sizes, and specially more reasonable resizing, would benefit, too.

My main concern are PDF and ePub files since, if Sony also solves the issues with on-device viewer, here we found a broad range of very different font typefaces and sizes, and more sizes and better scaling can help a lot.

Maybe, we can finally allow Sony put no more than 16, or something alike

Thanks! Regards!
Old 08-31-2009, 06:28 PM   #9
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Making larger sizes, really is kinda useless. I've not checked out the Sony epubs, but the old stuff from sony was always big to start with. for those of us who don't have issues seeing, smaller is better. I like more stuff on a page at the same time.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:08 PM   #10
advocate2
My Kingdom for Karma
advocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Sony 350, 650, 950, Nook Color
I agree that the mid-range is where I need help. The small is too small on library books, and the large is ridiculous. If I could get just one font size larger the M it would be great.
advocate2 is offline   Reply With Quote