Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 12-08-2013, 12:07 AM   #1
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I live and learn-deleting unwanted formats

Sometimes I want to delete a specific format of a book and I have been doing this in the edit metadata individually.

Today I discovered I can do this by right clicking on the format in the book details pane. Much faster.

I am a compulsive backer upper usually so it is not about the disk space saved. Often when I convert a PDF to epub and am unsatisfied I want to delete the ugly epub. Or if I want to import a format and I don't want to change my add books options and change them back. Much easier than the remove specific format command.

Probably everyone knows this but me, but just in case.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 12:21 AM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
You can also do it via the Remove Books icon (which weirdly uses the recycling icon -- I had to override that with a custom icon.)

The dropdown allows you to remove only a specific format.

As an added bonus, you can then do a bulk remove.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2013, 01:35 AM   #3
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
You can also do it via the Remove Books icon (which weirdly uses the recycling icon -- I had to override that with a custom icon.)

The dropdown allows you to remove only a specific format.

As an added bonus, you can then do a bulk remove.
Yes the dropdown/right click on book is what I meant by the remove specific format command I have been using this for years, but sometimes found the edit metadata window less bother.

For removing a single format from a single book in the book details pane it is one right click and one select click. Seems simpler but no big deal if it is not something you do regularly. The files deleted still go to the recycling bin though in either case.

Helen
Old 12-08-2013, 02:15 AM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Of course it goes to the recycling bin, where else do deleted files go? I mean, come ON!

Why is that a bad thing???

And I would think the remove books dropdown was less clicks than edit metadata ==> remove format....

In any event, you can always go ahead and configure the delete key shortcut to pop up with a list of specific formats to delete. Then it is a button click plus a mouse click and you're done. Even easier.

A truly lazy person would put in the extra effort to make sure it works smoothly.
Old 12-08-2013, 12:25 PM   #5
speakingtohe
Wizard

Quote:
Of course it goes to the recycling bin, where else do deleted files go? I mean, come ON!
So why the custom icon you referred to earlier? Come ON!
Quote:
Why is that a bad thing???
Not saying it is a bad thing for most. I would prefer an option to permanently delete like the <shift>Del in Windows.
Quote:

And I would think the remove books dropdown was less clicks than edit metadata ==> remove format....

In any event, you can always go ahead and configure the delete key shortcut to pop up with a list of specific formats to delete. Then it is a button click plus a mouse click and you're done. Even easier.

A truly lazy person would put in the extra effort to make sure it works smoothly.
Well often I am in the edit metadata window anyway and just have to click the format and the little recycle icon.

Helen
Advert
Old 12-08-2013, 12:34 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
So why the custom icon you referred to earlier? Come ON!
Not saying it is a bad thing for most. I would prefer an option to permanently delete like the <shift>Del in Windows.

Well often I am in the edit metadata window anyway and just have to click the format and the little recycle icon.

Helen
Recycle is so PC (and when applied to some e-books, a license violation...'May not be transferred or sold...)

For years, my desktop W9x Icon said 'Dumpster"

Calibre has always allowed you to change the icons
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 01:01 PM   #7
speakingtohe
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Recycle is so PC (and when applied to some e-books, a license violation...'May not be transferred or sold...)

For years, my desktop W9x Icon said 'Dumpster"

Calibre has always allowed you to change the icons
I was just wondering why change an icon which depicted a function in a way that was according to eschwartz blatantly obvious.

I do know you can change the icons, but never had the urge. Don't mess with the simple stuff unless it offends you mightily is my motto.

Helen
Old 12-08-2013, 02:38 PM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Because the recycling symbol is just wrong. I am not recycling the book/format, I am deleting it. So I replaced it with a trash can icon from some thread or another.

It may be called the recycling bin on Windows, but on Ubuntu it is called Trash, and thus on Ubuntu I have changed the icon. As in most things, Windows is wrong here, and it sounds stupid. Hey, let me recycle my files! Well, where am I reusing them?

Recycling is for materials that can be repurposed for new stuff, a paradigm that does not fit here.

However, I may heed your advice and not change the icon on my Windows install (when I get back to it, it's at home and right now I'm in school.) Clearly it fits in there with all the other Windows "quirks". I hadn't thought of that, to be honest.

Live and learn, indeed!!
Old 12-08-2013, 03:02 PM   #9
speakingtohe
Wizard

Quote:
Because the recycling symbol is just wrong. I am not recycling the book/format, I am deleting it. So I replaced it with a trash can icon from some thread or another.

It may be called the recycling bin on Windows, but on Ubuntu it is called Trash, and thus on Ubuntu I have changed the icon. As in most things, Windows is wrong here, and it sounds stupid. Hey, let me recycle my files! Well, where am I reusing them?

Recycling is for materials that can be repurposed for new stuff, a paradigm that does not fit here.

However, I may heed your advice and not change the icon on my Windows install (when I get back to it, it's at home and right now I'm in school.) Clearly it fits in there with all the other Windows "quirks". I hadn't thought of that, to be honest.

Live and learn, indeed!!
I guess I don't give that much thought to icons. Long as I know what they do, they are ok with me. Apple IIRC always had a trashcan icon too. And wasn't trying to advise you, just curious. You should do exactly as you want to with your icons.

Helen
Old 12-08-2013, 03:22 PM   #10
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
I guess I don't give that much thought to icons. Long as I know what they do, they are ok with me. Apple IIRC always had a trashcan icon too. And wasn't trying to advise you, just curious. You should do exactly as you want to with your icons.

Helen
Well, I'm taking it anyway, so there!
Old 12-08-2013, 09:42 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
@eschwartz: Just FYI, recycling refers to the recycling of the storage space used by the file and not the file itself. And many linux desktops use trash bins with recycle symbols on them for trash, for example, the KDE Oxygen theme.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:58 PM   #12
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

"The recycling of the storage space" is a little too deep for me. My files are thrown away, that is the main point as far as I'm concerned.

As a matter of curiosity, is that why the default Remove Books icon is the recycling symbol? Are you a KDE Oxygen man?
Old 12-08-2013, 11:42 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No, I dont use desktop environments. However, calibre icons are taken from many linux desktop icon projects, oxygen being one of them. The delete icon in calibre was originally from the oxygen project, the current one however, was custom designed for calibre by Kamil Tatara. (Most of the icons on the main toolbar and the calibre logo were all designed by him).
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote