Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-05-2013, 09:57 AM   #46
Liriel
Connoisseur
Liriel might easily be mistaken for a TexanLiriel might easily be mistaken for a TexanLiriel might easily be mistaken for a TexanLiriel might easily be mistaken for a TexanLiriel might easily be mistaken for a TexanLiriel might easily be mistaken for a TexanLiriel might easily be mistaken for a TexanLiriel might easily be mistaken for a TexanLiriel might easily be mistaken for a TexanLiriel might easily be mistaken for a TexanLiriel might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: BOL Oyo, Kobo Glo 8GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhyrePhox View Post
I tried writing the recovery.img from the Allesbook download to a spare mSD card but my Glo wouldn't do much: blue light at power-on then nothing. I must be missing something essential here.
because allesbook has no image from the kobo shine postet only die tolino shine software.
from the kobo shine is no image here to download.
Liriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:28 AM   #47
Koboloid
Koboloid is on a distinguished road

Device: kobo glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhyrePhox View Post
I tried writing the recovery.img from the Allesbook download to a spare mSD card but my Glo wouldn't do much: blue light at power-on then nothing. I must be missing something essential here.
download the untouched tolino firmware dump from this site http://naberius.de/category/linux/programming/kernel/. look for backup_internal_sd_shine_after_sys_recover.img.gz. write the image to sd card (dont just copy), insert in internal slot and boot up.
the recovery.img is for rooting the device afterwards. copy to sd and insert in external slot. follow instructions on the guide.

the tolino fw is in german !
you can switch to english in android later.
this doesnt affect the tolino reader, it stays german.
for changing language, tap on "Einstellung", then "Sprache & Tastatur" and "Sprache auswählen".

Viel Erfolg !

edit: when i switch to english on android and reboot i get sytemcrashes on every start up. dont know if this is a known issue or its just me.
i dont really care because my native language is german

Last edited by Koboloid; 11-05-2013 at 11:14 AM.
Koboloid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2013, 11:29 AM   #48
Liriel
Connoisseur
Liriel might easily be mistaken for a TexanLiriel might easily be mistaken for a TexanLiriel might easily be mistaken for a TexanLiriel might easily be mistaken for a TexanLiriel might easily be mistaken for a TexanLiriel might easily be mistaken for a TexanLiriel might easily be mistaken for a TexanLiriel might easily be mistaken for a TexanLiriel might easily be mistaken for a TexanLiriel might easily be mistaken for a TexanLiriel might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: BOL Oyo, Kobo Glo 8GB
i have a kobo glo that i buy this monday and the Tolino shine software works.
the hardware is one of the latest hardware.

Last edited by Liriel; 11-05-2013 at 11:36 AM.
Liriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 10:04 AM   #49
pbra
pbra began at the beginning.

Device: kobo glo
Great finding ! thanks.
I put the tolino software on my glo and root it. Two things annoy me : I can't switch off the light (I can adjust luminosity, though) and the green led always blink.
Did somebody have clues to resolve this issues ?
pbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:51 AM   #50
KevinShort
Addict
KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbra View Post
Great finding ! thanks.
I put the tolino software on my glo and root it. Two things annoy me : I can't switch off the light (I can adjust luminosity, though) and the green led always blink.
Did somebody have clues to resolve this issues ?
I wrote a little program to control the light some time ago. Someone would just need to write a little wrapper Android app to turn the light off from our Kobo Shine. The green LED can be turned off with some commands found in the default /etc/init.d/rcS script of the Kobo firmware. I'm sure there's some Android startup script where you could put those commands.

I see several people requesting an image of my Kobo Shine SD card. I don't mind uploading it, but the SD card I'm using is 16GB so I'm not sure if you could use that image on a smaller SD card. The actual Android installation only takes up about 4GB, I think. Let me know if you'd still like me to upload my image.
KevinShort is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2013, 12:14 PM   #51
stasys
Zealot
stasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Glo, Paperwhite
Kevin, your Kobo Shine also has blinking green light and not working light switch?
Anyway, please upload your SD card image somewhere. Nowadays 16GB card is not big deal.
stasys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:41 PM   #52
KevinShort
Addict
KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, my green LED does blink, and the light button is set to be the Android back/home button. I'll upload my image and post here when it's finished.
Old 11-06-2013, 03:47 PM   #53
Cesco
Connoisseur
Cesco can illuminate an eclipseCesco can illuminate an eclipseCesco can illuminate an eclipseCesco can illuminate an eclipseCesco can illuminate an eclipseCesco can illuminate an eclipseCesco can illuminate an eclipseCesco can illuminate an eclipseCesco can illuminate an eclipseCesco can illuminate an eclipseCesco can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Aura 2-Aura H2O-K1-LibraH2O
Will appreciate very much. thanks Kevin
Cesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:25 AM   #54
Tachikoma
Connoisseur
Tachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kobo Glo
Been using this for the last day and I have to say, the performance is miles better than the Kobo software. I couldn't get root working as Windows 8 won't accept the ADB drivers, and annoyingly I bought an 8GB especially for it, so when KevinShort uploads his rooted image, I will have to fiddle with it to make it fit.

I wish the font could be made smaller as I like my text tiny, but it renders epubs better than the Kobo software. Even if I need to recharge it weekly rather than fortnightly, I think I will be keeping this software until/unless Kobo improve their software performance.

I don't even mind if the system stays in German to avoid crashes, while I can only speak a few words of German, I don't need to know any to be able to open books.
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:36 AM   #55
_darch
_darch began at the beginning.

Device: n/a
Anyone got the Shine Android running on the Kobo Aura HD, yet?
Im thinking of buying a refurbish Aura HD for the same price as a Glo, but would like the most options for hacking.
_darch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 11:53 AM   #56
KevinShort
Addict

I just got my rooted Kobo Shine image for the Glo uploaded. I've sent those of you who wanted it a PM with the link. If anyone else would like the link just send me a message.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:36 PM   #57
giorgio130
Time Waster
giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo and Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by _darch View Post
Anyone got the Shine Android running on the Kobo Aura HD, yet?
Im thinking of buying a refurbish Aura HD for the same price as a Glo, but would like the most options for hacking.
I'm working on it in my spare time. I think the changes needed to make it work would be to change the bootloader and the kernel to suit the hardware in AuraHD. Bootloader should be done, but the kernel changes are a lot bigger.
giorgio130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 03:19 PM   #58
myself11
Enthusiast
myself11 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook ST + Kindle PW2
Well, I have some questions

- Google Play works?

- Regular apps, like kindle, dictionaries, etc., work?

- Is it very different from a NST rooted? Better?
myself11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 04:26 PM   #59
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis
AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several eReaders and tablets
A request for those with Android (2.3.3 or 2.3.4 ?) running on a Kobo Glo: can you please install the APK of epub3reader?

https://github.com/pettarin/epub3reader/

The APK is here (hit "raw" to download): https://github.com/pettarin/epub3rea...PUB3Reader.apk

And let me know if it works? Thanks in advance.
AlPe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:14 PM   #60
SyreKron
SyreKron is on a distinguished road

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Wireless
The APK failed to install with the following error message:
Code:
Failure [INSTALL_FAILED_OLDER_SDK]
SyreKron is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, glo, kobo, shine, tolino