Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 03-30-2008, 04:40 AM   #1
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Character encoding in the filesystem

Hi all,

I've had some issues with the Cybook which I think are encoding-related:

1. When you read a PDF file, the Cybook creates a .dat file with the same name, which holds the current page number, so that when you open the PDF again it shows the same page. I noticed that if the file name has non-ASCII characters (accented letters), then the generated .dat file does not have the same name, but the special characters are translated into something different (probably into utf8 encoding, I don't remember exactly and can't check it now). The .dat file still works fine, i.e., the Cybook remembers the current page in the PDF. I guess something similar would happen with .mbp files.

2. Now I've put all my books in subdirectories in a SD card, I moved both PDF and .dat files to the subdirectories. I noticed that, if the subdirectory has non-ASCII characters in its name, the Cybook stops remembering the current page: everytime I open the PDF it comes at the page it was when I moved the files, but if I read more, no new page is saved. So the .dat file is read but not written. I then changed the name of the subdirectory to remove accented letters, and now it works fine, the current page is successfully saved.

Both issues seem to be related and, as I said, is probably a problem with encoding. I've been transferring files with a Linux system that is configured to use iso-8859-15 (latin1+euro) encoding, and I mount the card with "iocharset=iso8859-15" option. At some early point I tried putting "iocharset=utf8", but it didn't solve the first issue, I believe. Are others having the same experience? If not, how do you mount the Cybook/card? Any other suggestion?
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 05:36 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
There are issues on many readers with filenames that have accented letters, etc, in them. It's best to stick to ASCII characters for filenames.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert