Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 07-14-2013, 03:34 AM   #1
tbhudson
tbhudson began at the beginning.

Device: none
MacBook can't read the Calibre program

I'm running 10.6.8 on my MacBook and can't seem to get Calibre to install. I took it out of the download section as recommended and stuck it on the desk top. Clicking on it give me "Calibre 0.9.39.dmg Not recognized". The download seemed to be adding time instead of subtracting time for a while before it got shorter but said the download time was well over an hour. At about one hour, it suddenly showed that it was all downloaded. Did it twice since the first time it gave me the same response.
Any thoughts as to why it won't install?
tbhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 03:50 AM   #2
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
All I can suggest is to scrap it and re-download. And it shouldn't take an hour, unless you're on 1990s dialup. It's two minutes here, on slow ADSL.

You didn't happen to move the file while it was still downloading, did you? And you checked that you're downloading the OS X version, not another one?
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2013, 07:00 PM   #3
tbhudson

downloading

I've downloaded it twice and both times it wants to take forever. Both times, I moved the file to the desktop and got the same response. I shifted it to the app folder and got the same thing. I'll scrap everything I have so far and try again.
Thanks for the input.
Old 07-14-2013, 11:51 PM   #4
tbhudson

Now I got it.

I did as you suggested and scrapped everything I had downloaded and started over again. This time, it took about 15 minutes to download but it did it just fine and now I'm up and running.
Thanks for the help.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:44 AM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

15 minutes is a quite a long time

If you are using satellite comms, and you are where your profile indicates, then Soulik might have been causing your problems.

When I'm on a satellite link I don't even bother trying to download any chunky files when one of those puppies is nearby.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert