Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-23-2008, 08:41 PM   #1
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
Foreign accented characters and libprs500

Gang, I know that this has been addressed before and I'm sure it is easy but I can't figure it out. I am using Libprs500 on a Mac. I am converting an HTML text that has foreign accent marks and characters (Spanish and French). When I convert using lp500 I get question marks in squares for these characters. I read that I needed to embed a unicode font which I did (Arial Uni or Apple Symbol) but that didn't make a difference. I have converted foreign language texts before with BD and the accents came through ok. However, I prefer to work in lp500 if I can.

Thanks.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 09:37 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
May be a file encoding detection issue. When you don't embed the fonts and view it with libprs500's inbuilt viewer, do the characters show up correctly?
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2008, 10:34 PM   #3
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I tried that. I used lp500's embedding feature and tired first Arial Uni then Times Roman and then Symbol. None of them made any difference although they changed the look of the book on the internal viewer. I get a black diamond with a question mark in the middle where the foreign character should be.

I am going from HTML to LRF. Is there anything else that you recommend?

Thanks.
Old 02-23-2008, 11:09 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Try Times New Roman. Also dont embed a font at all and then look at it in the internal viewer.
Old 02-24-2008, 09:49 AM   #5
Stingo
Fanatic

Here is what I did. I went back to the original doc and changed the font to times roman. I saved the file again as HTML. I deleted the original from lp500 and imported it again. I then told it to convert to prs without embedding any fonts. On the lp500 viewer I still get the black diamond with a question mark in the middle for accented characters.
Advert
Old 02-24-2008, 02:03 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

No no, in the libprs500 conversion dialog you have to specify the embedded font as Times New Roman. But if it isn't working with the inbuilt viewer then it is likely to be an encoding problem. Try to convince your editor to save the file in UTF-8 encoding.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:51 PM   #7
Stingo
Fanatic

Thumbs up

Ok. This really helped. I opened the file in Word and tried to change from Western European (mac) to UTF-8. This caused my foreign characters to desapear and be replaced by underlines. So, I went back, saved the html as RTF, reoppened it as rtf, told it to use UTF-8, the symbols were still there so I saved and then told it to save as html again. Bingo. This worked and lp500 loved it and gave me the usual beautiful result.

Didn't even need to embed a font.

Thanks for your patience and help.