Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 03-14-2013, 10:44 AM   #16
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
The big problem was that it effectively locked out everything except iOS, and that puts the heaviest load on the servers because every purchase immediately tries to download. If they'd limited it to the web they wouldn't have had all those iPads and iPhones queuing up 600-odd downloads and running 600-odd separate purchase transactions.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:14 AM   #17
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Or, if they'd just let it do a purchase only and not tried to download immediately. That might have increased the strain on the purchasing servers, but could have been manageable. Not to mention that few probably have space to download all 700 at once on their tablets.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2013, 11:23 AM   #18
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
Or, if they'd just let it do a purchase only and not tried to download immediately. That might have increased the strain on the purchasing servers, but could have been manageable. Not to mention that few probably have space to download all 700 at once on their tablets.
Unfortunately, the iOS application doesn't support that option. Any iOS purchase immediately starts to download, and you have to go in and pause it manually.
The app also only lets you purchase one issue per transaction.

That's why turning it off everywhere except the web would have worked. The web interface allows buyers to bundle multiple issues into a transaction and doesn't add an immediate download request to every purchase. It would have cut the server load down immeasurably.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:27 PM   #19
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Separating the login servers from the download servers would have helped quite a bit also - It took two days to get my Marvel login completely working (and another after that before it would sync with Comixology).

The IOS app let me "buy" quite a few. Only one downloaded and I don't think any of them actually went into my acct. I suspect I'll have to delete the app and redownload to get it correctly synced (and lose that one issue).
Old 03-14-2013, 12:33 PM   #20
Lemurion
eReader

I was lucky, I managed to get a fair number on my iPhone, though I couldn't log in through the web or on my Android tablet until they reset everything on Tuesday.
Advert
Old 04-08-2013, 09:19 AM   #21
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Got a notice just a moment ago in my email:

Quote:
Since you asked for updates about the Marvel #1 promotion, we wanted to let you know that we have been working hard to make things right, and now...*drumroll please*...you are among the first to know how to get your hands on them.

Because you already have a comiXology account, no further action is needed at this time, and you’ll be the first in line.

On Thursday, April 11th, we will begin sending out invites with your personalized link to access over 700 FREE Marvel #1 issues, so be on the lookout for your email! Please add noreply@comixology.com to your address book so things don't get caught in your junk mail.

Once you receive your Marvel #1 invite, you will have 48 hours to choose your FREE Marvel #1 issues!
So, it sounds like they are using a rollout method to make sure they don't get overloaded again. I'm just relieved they are starting it soon, because I was worried they'd do it at the end of the month when I'm traveling.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:55 PM   #22
koland
Grand Sorcerer

Got mine too; also Thurs.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:40 PM   #23
skinmaan
Wizard
skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android tablet, Kindle KB
Thank heavens it is open not just to those who filed an earlier complaint; I had over a dozen titles in my cart and could not check out in the crush. Anyone who is interested can sign up at https://promo.marvel.com/ today and tomorrow for a spot in line.

Thanks for the heads-up, or I would not have known to go looking for this.

skinmaan
skinmaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:37 PM   #24
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Yeah, I got the e-mail earlier too.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 03:06 PM   #25
Byrdie
Walking Library
Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle Paperwhite 5, 16 gb version
Signed up at Comixology, got the email. Would be nice if they added a "Buy All" button for this one, then I could just stick 'em in the cart, check it out & download at leisure. 48 hours is not really all that long when we're talking 700 books to hunt thru.
Byrdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:56 PM   #26
Pete731
Connoisseur
Pete731 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pete731 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pete731 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pete731 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pete731 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pete731 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pete731 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pete731 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pete731 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pete731 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pete731 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kobo Glo; Nexus 7
It has begun! Just got an email from Comixology, followed the link, and there they are. I ordered about 50, they said they'd email me when they finished adding them to my account.
Pete731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:15 PM   #27
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete731 View Post
It has begun! Just got an email from Comixology, followed the link, and there they are. I ordered about 50, they said they'd email me when they finished adding them to my account.
Ditto. Got my email at 10:47am CDT. I ordered 77 of them, and they were in my account within 15 minutes.

For anyone who is new to Comixology due to this promo, don't miss their regular "free" section. A lot of it is preview issues but they also sometimes offer first issues and standalones.

I think I've transferred my ebook addiction to comics.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:39 PM   #28
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Got my email. Is it just me or is it not possible to click through for details on the comics offered?

I could just click on everything that looks remotely interesting, but that would clog up my archives with a lot of stuff, or compare to the item on the full Comixology site but that sounds like a lot of copy/paste and searching.

I'm not knocking this, it's great that they've offered all this for free, but it's just odd that you're selecting with just the cover and title to go on.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:45 PM   #29
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
Got my email. Is it just me or is it not possible to click through for details on the comics offered?

I could just click on everything that looks remotely interesting, but that would clog up my archives with a lot of stuff, or compare to the item on the full Comixology site but that sounds like a lot of copy/paste and searching.

I'm not knocking this, it's great that they've offered all this for free, but it's just odd that you're selecting with just the cover and title to go on.

Graham
I noticed that, too. At least they did organize them somewhat, but yeah. There were several of my 77 that I'm not sure I actually wanted because I didn't feel like cross-referencing them with a search. I'm guessing they set the promo items up in a separate database to make it more lightweight, which could be why they weren't linked.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:01 PM   #30
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
I'm guessing they set the promo items up in a separate database to make it more lightweight, which could be why they weren't linked.
Yes. Now that I've been through, I'm impressed at the speed of the interface - so maybe it was a conscious decision not to complicate it with a click through. I've hauled off 43 of them for later consumption.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote