Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-13-2013, 06:15 PM   #1
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Indexing

I recently started using my Kindle Touch again after it not having been my main ereader for a while. I updated it with the new firmware that came out the other day (5.3.2). Then I decided that I wanted to store more of my library on their so I loaded a lot of books (~250) from Calibre. After a few hours I noticed the number of books still to index wasn't going down. I left it overnight and the number was the same in the morning.

So then I did a reset and started loading 10 books at a time and waiting for them to index before doing the next batch. I only got to 30 before it was "stuck" again. This time I removed the most recent batch and added them one by one and discovered a particular book that caused the problem. I added another book - fine, another - fine, then a new batch of 12 this time - and it got stuck on 9.

Now this is not a show-stopper but it's a bit of a blow. The books open fine and I have read a couple with no problems, but I do use search and it's annoying not to be able to.

Does anyone else have this problem? Are they known ways to avoid it? or to identify books that might be an issue?

Thanks
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:27 AM   #2
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
You can try a mobi to mobi conversion in calibre. If that works for the offending books, just batch convert everything before loading into Kindle, and you won't have that guessing game no more.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2013, 12:37 PM   #3
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for replying.

I'll try a mobi to mobi on that particular file and see if it helps. TBH though I'm not keen on the idea of a batch-convert. I'd prefer it if the firmware was able to abandon files it didn't like and skip to the next one but it seems if it gets stuck it stops.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:11 PM   #4
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
My K4 wont index anything if the battery is low. Not at need a charge level but low enough. I found what fix that is plugging into the wall charger and wait a bit then restart the Kindle.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:12 PM   #5
latepaul
Wizard

Just tested it on my Kindle Keyboard (running 3.4) and the same file indexed without any problem. Of course to do a conclusive test I'd need to do the exact same set of actions on both.
Advert
Old 01-14-2013, 01:15 PM   #6
latepaul
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
My K4 wont index anything if the battery is low. Not at need a charge level but low enough. I found what fix that is plugging into the wall charger and wait a bit then restart the Kindle.
Good thought. However when I was testing this last night I had the Kindle permanently plugged into the computer and the charge light was showing green i.e. fully charged.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:35 PM   #7
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
Good thought. However when I was testing this last night I had the Kindle permanently plugged into the computer and the charge light was showing green i.e. fully charged.
Then hmm...At this point a factory reset may be needed. The index may have gotten corrupted.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:08 PM   #8
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
You can view the indexing status and get a list of the books that have yet to be indexed by searching for '.' (period) on the Home screen. If Search Results says 'No results returned' it is done with indexing. If it has an entry for 'Items Not Yet Indexed' you can select that and it will show a list of the unindexed items. You might need to wait for a few seconds after downloading a new item before it will show up in the 'not indexed' list.

Indexing can get 'stuck' in at least a couple of ways:
- file is corrupt and Kindle can't identify the content to index
- file contains a DRM signature that doesn't match the device's (as when moving a file from one Kindle to another)

The solution is to delete the offending item, then Kindle will be able to proceed with the remaining ones.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:03 PM   #9
Bricorn
Addict
Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG
Rather than doing a full reset then re-adding the books, you can just connect to your computer, delete the Index database, then disconnect and re-start. It'll then re-index everything.
Bricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:43 AM   #10
latepaul
Wizard

Thanks for the replies. I actually did do a factory reset the first time and still hit the problem when I re-added that book. Also being able to identify the failing book was part of the problem, I was only able to do it by process of elimination. Which would mean only adding one book at a time which is a pain. And even deleting the book only worked once the Kindle was re-started. It seems like once indexing has stalled it needs a re-start to get it going again. (Maybe it would eventually have done so if I'd left it long enough)

Anyway I seem to have identified the problem which is good.

I tested mobi to mobi conversion and that didn't help. I deleted the book and downloaded the Amazon one (rather than the DRM-free copy I'd been using) and that still had the problem. So I tried changing the title in Calibre and re-doing a mobi-to-mobi conversion (so the change got into the file's metadata). This fixed the problem.

So apparently the problem was that the original title had a comma in it. Without the comma this problem did not occur.

I'm going to do some more tests tonight and see if I can provoke and fix the problem at will with some homemade mobi files. Once I'm sure this is really the problem (and also checked for any other problem characters) I'll pass it on to Amazon who can hopefully fix it.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:02 AM   #11
Julius Caesar
Addict
Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
If you don't mind to reindex the whole books all over again, you can force Kindle to restart indexing by:

1. Connect your Kindle to your computer.
2. Click Start, select Control Panel, and select "Folder Options" from the Control Panel menu.
3. Select the View tab.
4. In the View List, select the radio button to Show Hidden Files and Folders and uncheck Hide Protected Operating System Files if available.
5. Deselect the checkbox to Hide Protected Operating System Files. (You may want to re-enable this after re-indexing your Kindle.)
6. Open the Kindle internal memory on the PC.
7. Open the System folder on the Kindle disk.
8. Open the Search Indexes folder inside the System folder.
9. Select all files inside the Search Indexes folder and move them to the Recycle Bin.
10. Disconnect the Kindle from the computer.
11. Connect the Kindle to a power source.
12. Put your Kindle to sleep.

Depending on how many books you have, the indexing process should be complete within 24 hours. Please leave the Kindle connected to a power source for this time frame.
Julius Caesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:34 AM   #12
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
So apparently the problem was that the original title had a comma in it. Without the comma this problem did not occur.
Comma turns indexer in a nice coma, why trust a dyslexic indexer any more.

Interesting find.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:54 PM   #13
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

I don't think it was a comma as alot of my books have those. More likely it just needed a new name for the indexer to pick it up. Good to know though. If I have issues to rename the title.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:22 PM   #14
latepaul
Wizard

Yeah I can't reproduce the problem now - even with the original file. There's obviously more going on here.