Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-30-2012, 06:57 PM   #1
thesuker
thesuker began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Problem with character encoding

I recently got a book in mobi format. When converted with Calibre to epub and sent to my sony prs-t1, a lot of ? symbols appear. When I looked into the mobi html file using the mobi extractor plugin, I saw that there were many  characters before quotes,question marks, etc. I tried changing into all available char encoding, but it didn't work. The book is in English, but the characters that appear after the  are different to the ones I normally see in texts. For example, the " are tilted to the left or to the right. Is there any way to solve this?
thesuker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:53 AM   #2
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
you can usually manually fix those things in the epub, in sigil, before sending it to sony, though it is often less hassle to find a better, retail quality, source,

A lot of books have curly quotes for speech, no need to change those, unless you really want to.

how does the mobi version look if you open it in kindle for PC , not in calibre viewer.

TIP: to see how the book will long on Sony, before actually sending it, open the epub in ADE on your PC.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2012, 10:11 PM   #3
Barb-B
Tech appreciator
Barb-B began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Kepler Pro (wow I love this reader!)
It has to do with the specified character set. If you use mobi-unpack tool to disassemble it to its component parts, you can open the main html file with notepad or wordpad and see what character encoding has been used. Then when you convert in calibre, you can supply that character set name in the "Look & Feel" section of the conversion dialog.

My experience has been that nearly every time, it is iso8859-1. So now I just try that first, before bothering with taking anything apart. On the rare occasion it doesn't work, then you can still dig into the mobi file to see what it really is.

Also, you're best off NOT trying to make the changes in Sigil, which assumes by default that everything is UTF-8. Once you've opened the file with Sigil and then saved any changes. You're pretty much stuck with the bad characters, until you do as cybmole suggests, and manually edit them. Ugh.

Last edited by Barb-B; 11-09-2012 at 10:15 PM.
Barb-B is offline   Reply With Quote