Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-07-2012, 11:57 AM   #1
Jane12
Groupie
Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iDevices
Sideloading on Kindle Paperwhite?

I've shied away from Kindles because I prefer epub, but the new Kindle Paperwhite is intriguing enough that it may just make me a convert. However, I'm wondering about sideloading options.
  1. I know you can email personal documents to your Kindle account and they get stored on Amazon's servers (which makes me a little leery). What are the pros and cons of this -- e.g., limitatations, privacy concerns, etc.?
  2. Can you use the web browser to access a Dropbox account and download files from Dropbox? If so, does it work well?
  3. Can you transfer files via USB cable?

Thanks for any insights.
Jane12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:06 PM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

1. Using the cloud is safe and secure and private. If you use the cloud then you can sync your furthest page read and other information between multiple devices/apps.

2. Never used it but I think so.

3. Yes. Drag and drop. Very easy to do. But syncing options are very limited for docs that are transferred this way. The cloud is better as far as syncing.
Advert
Old 10-07-2012, 12:21 PM   #3
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Adding to what Jack said..

There is an Amazon app or program that lets you drag and drop and upload to the cloud. I like it more because circumvents the 20MB limitation via email.

That's what I use on my Mac Air ... :-)
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:32 PM   #4
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Dropbox works great (with the mobile friendly interface). Google Drive also. I have not gotten MS SkyDrive to work. Problem with login.

I use this for KF8 files since Personal Documents service doesn't support it yet (unless it changed recently).
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:17 PM   #5
Jane12
Groupie
Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iDevices
Thanks jswinden, jocampo and tomsem! Very helpful!
Jane12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert