Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-09-2007, 09:44 AM   #1
THJahar
Zealot
THJahar is on a distinguished road

Device: Jinke V2 Prototype
What's the kindle like for typing documents on?

Well as the title say's what's the kindle like for typing documents on?
Has anyone used it for say writing a multi page document, and what are their thought's?
I like to write short stories and was considering an Eee but if i could happily tap away at a kindle and achieve the same effect i'd be happy.
THJahar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 11:56 AM   #2
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
If it has an ediitor program I haven't noticed it. My typing has been limited to annotations and search. It's slow, especially if you need to see your text as you type since the screen is slow. Personally, I'd rather have an Eee if I were going to do much typing. I really don't consider the Kindle a multi-function device. Yes, you can websurf and such on it, but that's not what it's good at. It's good at being a reader.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2007, 01:04 PM   #3
azog
Enthusiast
azog began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Kindle
Well, it's a reader, not a writer. You can make annotations (I think! I haven't used that feature one way or another), but you really can't do any significant writing on it. You could login to a web page, say Wikipedia, and edit with the built-in browser, but I think I'd rather pluck my nose-hairs out one at a time. I did notice when typing in the search bar, it's a little slow on the keys...

Since it runs Linux, it might not be unrealistic to think that someone will eventually hack it and turn it into a portable type text console.
azog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 05:21 PM   #4
rflashman
Zealot
rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle, Archos 605 Wifi, & Sony PRS-500
There are many BETTER choices of what you can get for $399 if you are shopping for a word processing computer. Though you do bring to air the rising interest in people wanting a e-Ink based computer for increased readability.
rflashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 07:40 PM   #5
cfw123
Enthusiast
cfw123 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Eee vs. Kindle for typing.

I have both the Eee Asus and the Kindle. I certainly don't recommend the Kindle for typing content. The Eee is much better, but the keybard is a little small for my touch typing fingers, but I can learn anything. But I think I prefer my Toshiba Laptop over both. I bought the Eee for portability, even though the Toshiba Laptop isn't too bad to carry around -- but can't come close to the Eee for real portabiloity.

I enjoy reading very much -- hence the Kindle. But I also enjoy writing, and get many of my creative ideas while reading the writings of others. But I really hate being stuck at home to type, as that kills my creativity. So both the Eee and the Kindle match my needs perfectly.

The Kindle was a snap to learn -- it's great, simple, and does exactly what I want it to do. But I still have to learn to "master" the Eee -- it is different, especially in Linus mode, which I have never used before. But it looks great, and just need to spend the time to really get acquainted with it.

Charles Wilkes
cfw123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2007, 07:43 PM   #6
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Which e-book format do you use on the EE cfw123 ?
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 09:30 PM   #7
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
I have read one review that said the Kindle keyboard was extraordinarily hard to type on, not just because of the delay in the letters appearing on the screen, but because the keys themselves were hard to depress enough to get the letter to register, and made a loud click.

But it could have been just that one unit--everybody else has basically described the keyboard as cramped but useable.
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 08:15 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
eInk screens and word processing are not a happy combination .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 10:31 AM   #9
rflashman
Zealot
rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle, Archos 605 Wifi, & Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsittingstill View Post
I have read one review that said the Kindle keyboard was extraordinarily hard to type on, not just because of the delay in the letters appearing on the screen, but because the keys themselves were hard to depress enough to get the letter to register, and made a loud click.
I suspect the hardness of the Kindle keyboard is intentional to prevent accidental presses. I must admit I've never pressed a key accidentaly.
rflashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 02:01 PM   #10
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Somewhat tangential but, It boggled my mind to read that half the bestsellers on the Japanese market were written on cellphones.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 03:12 PM   #11
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
eInk screens and word processing are not a happy combination .
Especially for big hands and fingers like mine. Look up "fat finger" and you'll see my picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
Somewhat tangential but, It boggled my mind to read that half the bestsellers on the Japanese market were written on cellphones.
That's amazing, I hate texting on a cell and usually write the message on my Palm with Graffiti and send it to my cell.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote