Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 03-12-2012, 10:24 AM   #1
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Free (Kindle/iTunes/DRM-free ePub & Mobi) CK-12 School Science Textbooks [Education]

The CK-12 Foundation, which is a project to create open-source freely redistributable science textbooks for personal and professional use by kindergarten to high school teachers, homeschoolers, and interested other parties, is once again offering a new batch of them free in multiple venues.

You can get the lot directly from their website, which mainly has PDF files for most titles, but also now has DRM-free ePub and Mobi for what I assume are selected "finished" works which have a stable, bugs-worked-out edition.

You can also get syncable versions free @ Amazon (available to Canadians; selected titles also available in the UK) and iTunes, according to a note on their website (I don't have iTunes properly installed on the netbook, so someone else will have to provide a link or I'll edit one in later).

(ETA: I should add that these are very large, 20-100+ MB image-filled files and you should probably use the "Transfer via Computer" option for the Amazon version and try not to hammer the CK-12 site by getting them all at once.)

Titles include the usual maths, biology, chemistry, physics, engineering, etc. that you'd expect, but it also looks like they're branching out into history as well and have some Spanish-language translations of selected volumes. I've looked through some of these in the past and the information seemed pretty solid for the subjects I had some acquaintance with.

I hope their project succeeds, because basic science education (not to mention history) in many places could certainly be a lot better, or even existent at all.

Last edited by ATDrake; 03-12-2012 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Warning: Large Files Ahead!
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:48 PM   #2
scrapking
Evangelist
scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo
Wow, what an interesting project. Thanks so much for passing these on!
scrapking is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2012, 08:43 PM   #3
MsMiq07
MsMiq07 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!MsMiq07 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!MsMiq07 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!MsMiq07 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!MsMiq07 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!MsMiq07 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!MsMiq07 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!MsMiq07 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!MsMiq07 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!MsMiq07 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!MsMiq07 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: none
Thanks, this looks like a great secondary resource for my nephew.
MsMiq07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
education, mathematics, permafreebie, science