Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Kindle Books

Notices

Old 02-07-2008, 04:31 AM   #31
tanir
tanir began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Ericsson P1i / mobipocket
thanks bro

Thanks a lot tompe I now have a dictionary with wonderful search strings working good. finally.
tanir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 04:39 AM   #32
tanir
tanir began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Ericsson P1i / mobipocket
Thanks a Lot!

I have now a dictionary working good in my SE P1i phone with search strings.
I really am very happy for all the guys and gals that helped me to avail the web dic.

Jbenny I am now a fan of yours. how did you do it? please! please! if you have more to share please include me, my email is tanir2002@yahoo.com
I would really like to use my phone as a library and a handy reference guide.

Thanks a lot Jbenny. more power God bless!
tanir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2008, 11:33 PM   #33
jbenny
Addict
jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Tablet PC and Nokia N800
Sorry I haven't been around for a few months. Things have been really screwed up for me lately. I'm glad to see that some folks have found the dictionary useful. I may not be able to actively participate for a while yet, but I'll try to check in once and a while.
jbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 03:54 AM   #34
slussen2
Enthusiast
slussen2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Webster 1913 dictionary

I wanted the Webster 1913 dictionary made available by jbenny.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
Took me a couple tries but you need to do the following.

1. download "Webster1913.001.zip"
2. download "Webster1913.002.zip"
3. download and install 7-zip
4. rename "Webster1913.001.zip" to "Webster1913.zip.001"
5. rename "Webster1913.002.zip" to ""Webster1913.zip.002"
6. Right-click on "Webster1913.zip.001" and select "7-zip->Extract to Webster1913\"

7-zip will find both files and combine and unzip them. 7-zip and renaming are required for this to work. This will result in /Webster1913/Webster1913.prc.
I followed Carld's advice, changing the names of the 2 zip files and using 7zip. The options I had with right-clicking on the Webster 1913. zip.001 file and going to 7zip were:
1.Open Archive 2. Extract files 3.Extract here 4.Extract to "Webster1913.zip.001" 5. Test archive 6. Add to archive 7. Compress & email 8. Add to "Webster 1913.zip.001.zip.7z" 9. Compress to Webster 1913.zip.001.zip.7z & email 10. Add to "Webster 1913.zip.001.zip.zip" 11. Compress to "Webster 1913.zip.001.zip.zip" & email.

I chose 4. and got the message, "Cannot open file 'H:\Program archives\Mobipocket.com\Webster 1913.zip.001.zip' as archive.
Can anyone help?
slussen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 09:04 AM   #35
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by slussen2 View Post
I wanted the Webster 1913 dictionary made available by jbenny.
I followed Carld's advice, changing the names of the 2 zip files and using 7zip. The options I had with right-clicking on the Webster 1913. zip.001 file and going to 7zip were:
1.Open Archive 2. Extract files 3.Extract here 4.Extract to "Webster1913.zip.001" 5. Test archive 6. Add to archive 7. Compress & email 8. Add to "Webster 1913.zip.001.zip.7z" 9. Compress to Webster 1913.zip.001.zip.7z & email 10. Add to "Webster 1913.zip.001.zip.zip" 11. Compress to "Webster 1913.zip.001.zip.zip" & email.

I chose 4. and got the message, "Cannot open file 'H:\Program archives\Mobipocket.com\Webster 1913.zip.001.zip' as archive.
Can anyone help?
I have 7-zip installed so archive operation choices appear in a cascading sub-menu off of the main context menu for the file. The option "Extract to "Webster 1913\" appears there, like this:

When I select it, the directory "Webster 1913" is created below where I saved the files JBenny provided, and a 14MB file called Webster 1913.prc is in it.
______
Dennis

Last edited by DMcCunney; 02-17-2008 at 09:07 AM.
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2008, 01:14 AM   #36
slussen2
Enthusiast

Hi Dennis, That's not the picture I get when I point the mouse to 7-zip. As can be seen in my previous entry, there are differences in the choices I'm given.
Old 02-18-2008, 01:42 AM   #37
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hi Dennis, That's not the picture I get when I point the mouse to 7-zip. As can be seen in my previous entry, there are differences in the choices I'm given.
That much is obvious. The question is why.

Which version of 7-Zip are you running, and what version of Windows? I have 7-Zip 4.57, the current release, under Windows XP Pro SP2.

Also, do you have "Hide extensions for known file types" turned on? (Tools/Folder Options/View - "Hide extensions for known files types" should not be checked.)

I think the problem may be that you didn't successfully rename the two zip files. They should not have a Zip extension. The extensions should be .001 and .002. If "Hide extensions for known file types" is checked, you won't see the .zip extension and may not realize they weren't properly renamed.

Also, 7-Zip needs to be registered as the default handler for files with a .001 extension. Right-click on the .001 file, and it will recognize it is the first part of a multi-part archive, and transparently combine the parts and extract the file from the combined archive.
______
Dennis
Old 02-19-2008, 05:42 AM   #38
slussen2
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
Also, do you have "Hide extensions for known file types" turned on? (Tools/Folder Options/View - "Hide extensions for known files types" should not be checked.)
____
Dennis
This turned out to be the crucial factor. Once I had unchecked this box everything went more or less smoothly.
Now I'm left with a folder, "Webster 1913", which I assume includes the .002 file. Now I've got to get an extension memory for my Cybook!
Thanks Dennis.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:31 AM   #39
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
This turned out to be the crucial factor. Once I had unchecked this box everything went more or less smoothly.
Now I'm left with a folder, "Webster 1913", which I assume includes the .002 file.
It includes a 14MB file called Webster 1913.prc, which is the dictionary file. 7-Zip transparently combined the .001 and .002 files into a single Zip archive, then extracted the distionary file from it and put it in the sub-directory.

Quote:
Now I've got to get an extension memory for my Cybook!
Fortunately, those are cheap.

Quote:
Thanks Dennis.
You're quite welcome.
______
Dennis

Last edited by DMcCunney; 02-19-2008 at 07:52 AM.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:00 AM   #40
slussen2
Enthusiast

Quote:
It includes a 14MB file called Webster 1913.prc, which is the dictionary file. 7-Zip transparently combined the .001 and .002 files into a single Zip archive, then extracted the distionary file from it and put it in the sub-directory.
______
Dennis
Then it's only the dictionary file that goes onto the SD card?
Old 02-19-2008, 09:10 AM   #41
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
Then it's only the dictionary file that goes onto the SD card?
Correct. The Webster 1913.prc is the dictionary file. It's a Mobipocket book in a special dictionary format with a high compression ratio.

The 001 and 002 files from MobileReader are a Zip archive split in two parts, because the site has a 10MB limit on upload file sizes, and the combined Zip file was larger. 7-Zip combined the parts and extracted the single dictionary file.

I don't know how Mobi is implemented on the Cybook. On my Palm OS device, there's a Preferences setting where I can specify the dictionary to use. I don't know what, if anything, you may have to set on the Cybook to make Mobi aware of the dictionary.
______
Dennis
Old 02-19-2008, 10:46 AM   #42
slussen2
Enthusiast

Now I don't know what's going on. I've just tried to exytract the files from the zip file Webster 1913 of 9216 KB and I'm getting the message - after it looks like the files are going to be extracted - "Archive file not valid".
Old 02-19-2008, 11:05 AM   #43
slussen2
Enthusiast

Ok, I deleted everything to do with Webster 1913 & started again from scratch, changing the names of the downloaded .001 & .002 files (having unchecked the "hide..." box). This time I was left with a Webster 1913 folder and inside it the Webster 1913.prc file. This I've dragged and dropped to my Mobipocker Reader awaiting export to an SD card.
It's all a bit mysterious to me. I have no idea why you change the names of the 2 files, why you use 7-zip, and why you end up with a .prc file. But then I'm a novice in these things....
Old 02-19-2008, 11:28 AM   #44
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
Ok, I deleted everything to do with Webster 1913 & started again from scratch, changing the names of the downloaded .001 & .002 files (having unchecked the "hide..." box). This time I was left with a Webster 1913 folder and inside it the Webster 1913.prc file. This I've dragged and dropped to my Mobipocker Reader awaiting export to an SD card.
Oh, good!

Quote:
It's all a bit mysterious to me. I have no idea why you change the names of the 2 files, why you use 7-zip, and why you end up with a .prc file. But then I'm a novice in these things....
The basic problem is the size of the dictionary and limitations of the site.

The largest file MobileRead can accept as an upload is 10MB. The dictionary is larger than that, even in a Zip file. (And it won't compress appreciably anyway -- it's already in a high compression format.)

In order to provide it on Mobileread, the Zip file had to be split into two parts to keep the file size of an individual part within the 10MB MobileRead limit.

The next problem is that MobileRead can't have files uploaded with extensions like .001 and .002. It won't know how to handle them. So the two parts of the archive had to have .zip tacked on as an extension.

7-Zip is recommended as the archive tool because it knows how to deal with multi-part archives. Point it at the .001 file, and it will recognize that it's part one, find the other parts, combine them, and extract the contents.

But that's why the parts had to be renamed once you downloaded them, to remove the spurious .zip extension. 7-Zip will recognize a file named Webster1913.001 as part one of a multi-part Zip file and look for and combine the other parts with it. It won't recognize Webster1913.001.zip as part one of an archive. It is going solely by the file extension on the file, and when it sees the .zip, it thinks it's a complete archive and doesn't look for the rest. It's not a complete archive, so attempts to extract the content bomb.

Clearer now?
______
Dennis
Old 02-19-2008, 11:54 AM   #45
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I don't know how Mobi is implemented on the Cybook. On my Palm OS device, there's a Preferences setting where I can specify the dictionary to use. I don't know what, if anything, you may have to set on the Cybook to make Mobi aware of the dictionary.
______
Dennis
You shouldn't have to do anything. I assume there's some "magic" which marks a Mobi book as a dictionary (?). With the (commercial) dictionary I use on my CyBook, all I hadto do was copy it to the SD card and it just "saw" it automatically as a dictionary.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote