Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 05-06-2021, 03:55 PM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
May 2021 Nominations

This is the thread for the New MobileRead Bookclub nominations. Everyone gets three nominations and two seconds.

We'll go one week for the nominations and and one week for the voting. But I will be giving more time for this book to be read.

So let the nominations begin.

Nominated
Sundiver by David Brin (John F)
This is How you Lose the Time War by Amal El-Mohtar and Max Gladstone (hildea)
The Andromeda Strain by Micheal Crichton (drofgnal)

Seconded

Thirded (off to the vote)
The Postman (John F, JSWolf, Paperbackstash)
All Systems Red (JSWolf, Mim, hildea)
Dune by Frank Herbert (Paperbackstash, John F, drofgnal)
Binti by Nnedi Okorafor (hildea, Mims, JSWolf)

Last edited by JSWolf; 05-12-2021 at 03:26 PM.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 04:52 AM   #2
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Is the theme what you proposed for the rest of the year in the other thread? That would be science fiction, correct?
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2021, 05:50 AM   #3
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by drofgnal View Post
Is the theme what you proposed for the rest of the year in the other thread? That would be science fiction, correct?
Correct, this was Jon's proposal:

Quote:
This is what I propose for the rest of the year.

May: Science Fiction
June: Historical Fiction
July: Free-For-All
August: Mystery
September: Patricia Clarke Memorial Library
October: Non-Fiction
November: Fiction
December: Fantasy
So for Science Fiction, I will nominate Sundiver by David Brin.

From Amazon:
Quote:
In all the universe, no species reached for the stars without “uplift” guidance, except possibly humankind. Did some cryptic patron race begin the job long ago, then abandon us? Or did we leap all by ourselves? That question burns, yet a greater mystery looms ahead, in the furnace of a star. Under the caverns of Mercury, Expedition Sundiver prepares for the most momentous voyage in our history – into the boiling inferno of the sun, seeking our destiny in the cosmic order of life.
David Brin’s Uplift novels are among the most thrilling and extraordinary science fiction ever written, comprising one of the most beloved sagas of all time. This freshly revised re-issue includes a substantial author's introduction about the personal and scientific journeys leading to his now-classic first novel.

Sundiver is the first book in David Brin’s magnificent Uplift series, including also:
Startide Rising
The Uplift War
Brightness Reef
Infinity’s Shore
Heaven’s Reach
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 05:57 AM   #4
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I will also nominate The Postman by David Brin.

From Amazon:

Quote:
He was a survivor—a wanderer who traded tales for food and shelter in the dark and savage aftermath of a devastating war.

Fate touches him one chill winter’s day when he borrows the jacket of a long-dead postal worker to protect himself from the cold. The old, worn uniform still has power as a symbol of hope, and with it he begins to weave his greatest tale, of a nation on the road to recovery.

This is the story of a lie that became the most powerful kind of truth. A timeless novel as urgently compelling as War Day or Alas, Babylon, David Brin’s The Postman is the dramatically moving saga of a man who rekindled the spirit of America through the power of a dream, from a modern master of science fiction.

“The Postman will keep you engrossed until you’ve finished the last page.”—Chicago Tribune
It also won the Locus Award for Best Science Fiction.
Old 05-07-2021, 06:14 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post

From Amazon:

Seconded.
Advert
Old 05-07-2021, 06:46 AM   #6
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

And once you've read the book, you can watch the movie*, starring Kevin Costner.

*This is neither a recommendation for or against the movie.
Old 05-07-2021, 08:14 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by drofgnal View Post
I've modified the list. I think it will be good to go.
Old 05-07-2021, 11:20 AM   #8
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:

From Amazon:

I'll second this one as well. Looks good.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 11:23 AM   #9
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
For my nomination for Sci-Fi, I'll do a soft science fiction/higher on fantasy, the classic Dune. It's a larger book so not sure if we want it this later in the month (average page account 890). I've never read it, but it came to mind as a book on my TBR I wanted to get to soon.

Quote:
Set on the desert planet Arrakis, Dune is the story of the boy Paul Atreides, who would become the mysterious man known as Maud'dib. He would avenge the traitorous plot against his noble family - and would bring to fruition humankind's most ancient and unattainable dream.

A stunning blend of adventure and mysticism, environmentalism and politics, Dune won the first Nebula Award, shared the Hugo Award, and formed the basis of what is undoubtedly the grandest epic in science fiction.

Frank Herbert's death in 1986 was a tragic loss, yet the astounding legacy of his visionary fiction will live forever.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 11:30 AM   #10
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
For my nomination for Sci-Fi, I'll do a soft science fiction/higher on fantasy, the classic Dune. It's a larger book so not sure if we want it this later in the month (average page account 890). I've never read it, but it came to mind as a book on my TBR I wanted to get to soon.
This would be an excellent choice. I've read it at least two times. However, this is not a second, yet.
Old 05-07-2021, 12:55 PM   #11
hildea
Wizard
hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux (had Onyx Boox Poke 3 and BeBook Neo earlier)
I nominate "Binti" by Nnedi Okorafor.
Quote:
Her name is Binti, and she is the first of the Himba people ever to be offered a place at Oomza University, the finest institution of higher learning in the galaxy. But to accept the offer will mean giving up her place in her family to travel between the stars among strangers who do not share her ways or respect her customs.

Knowledge comes at a cost, one that Binti is willing to pay, but her journey will not be easy. The world she seeks to enter has long warred with the Meduse, an alien race that has become the stuff of nightmares. Oomza University has wronged the Meduse, and Binti’s stellar travel will bring her within their deadly reach.

If Binti hopes to survive the legacy of a war not of her making, she will need both the the gifts of her people and the wisdom enshrined within the University, itself - but first she has to make it there, alive.
Note that "Binti" is a novella (20k words/74 pages), while "Binti: The Complete Triology" is an omnibus with three novellas (including "Binti") and a short story (113k words/417 pages total). I nominate just the first novella (although I'll probably buy and eventually read the complete thing), because I think it's nice to have some shorter options as well as full length novels.

https://nnedi.com/books/binti.html
https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/binti
https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/bin...mplete-trilogy

Last edited by hildea; 05-08-2021 at 03:56 AM. Reason: Changed Kobo links to US/English from Norway/Norwegian
hildea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 03:56 AM   #12
hildea
Wizard
hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My second nomination:
This is How you Lose the Time War by Amal El-Mohtar and Max Gladstone

Quote:
Among the ashes of a dying world, an agent of the Commandant finds a letter. It reads: Burn before reading.

Thus begins an unlikely correspondence between two rival agents hellbent on securing the best possible future for their warring factions. Now, what began as a taunt, a battlefield boast, grows into something more. Something epic. Something romantic. Something that could change the past and the future.

Except the discovery of their bond would mean death for each of them. There's still a war going on, after all. And someone has to win that war. That's how war works. Right?
Another novella (36k words/137 pages). Hugo winner in 2020.

https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/thi...the-time-war-2
Old 05-08-2021, 05:14 AM   #13
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
I recently bought a book from amazon as a 'deal of the day' that sitting in my TBR list. Also was a pretty good movie. I'll nominate The Andromeda Strain by Micheal Crichton.

Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Unfortunately it's not a deal of the day price anymore.

Last edited by drofgnal; 05-09-2021 at 06:12 AM.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 05:17 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

And I shall nominate All Systems Red by Martha Wells. It is also a novella. It's the first story in the Murderbot series. Given the series name, it's not as violent as it sounds.

Quote:
In a corporate-dominated spacefaring future, planetary missions must be approved and supplied by the Company. Exploratory teams are accompanied by Company-supplied security androids, for their own safety.

But in a society where contracts are awarded to the lowest bidder, safety isn’t a primary concern.

On a distant planet, a team of scientists are conducting surface tests, shadowed by their Company-supplied ‘droid — a self-aware SecUnit that has hacked its own governor module, and refers to itself (though never out loud) as “Murderbot.” Scornful of humans, all it really wants is to be left alone long enough to figure out who it is.

But when a neighboring mission goes dark, it's up to the scientists and their Murderbot to get to the truth.
Overdrive: https://www.overdrive.com/search?q=a...lassification=
Kobo US: https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/all-systems-red
Amazon US: https://www.amazon.com/All-Systems-R.../dp/B01MYZ8X5C
eBooks.com UK: https://www.ebooks.com/en-gb/searcha...ll+systems+red
Old 05-08-2021, 06:04 AM   #15
hildea
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
And I shall nominate All Systems Red by Martha Wells.
Seconded.

I've read it before, but it's a while ago, and I've been planning to reread it before reading the rest of the series.