Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-28-2013, 08:02 PM   #286
Ollonk
Ollonk does all things with Zen-like beautyOllonk does all things with Zen-like beautyOllonk does all things with Zen-like beautyOllonk does all things with Zen-like beautyOllonk does all things with Zen-like beautyOllonk does all things with Zen-like beautyOllonk does all things with Zen-like beautyOllonk does all things with Zen-like beautyOllonk does all things with Zen-like beautyOllonk does all things with Zen-like beautyOllonk does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindle 4
The Kindle touch (5, if I understand correctly) is out of my price range, but the $69 is K4?
What about this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazon-Kindl...item4ac0af153b

Would it do the job?
Ollonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:15 PM   #287
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollonk View Post
The Kindle touch (5, if I understand correctly) is out of my price range, but the $69 is K4?
What about this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazon-Kindl...item4ac0af153b

Would it do the job?
That is the K3 model that twobob referred to.
Probably the minimum for slow graphics presentation.
I.E: Flash display of a static page. It has been shown here (by geekmaster) that has the processing power to show reasonably good 'slow scan' (low frame rate) video.

The K4, K5, (and OOPR Kpw) have an on-chip graphics co-processor in addition to being a faster processor.

The "Cheapest" model in the US Amazon store is the "Kindle" (A.K.A: Kindle mini, K4, Kindle non-touch).

Page through the prefix index pages (see forum sticky) - geekmaster put a picture of each model on the device specific pages.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2013, 08:44 PM   #288
Ollonk
Ollonk does all things with Zen-like beautyOllonk does all things with Zen-like beautyOllonk does all things with Zen-like beautyOllonk does all things with Zen-like beautyOllonk does all things with Zen-like beautyOllonk does all things with Zen-like beautyOllonk does all things with Zen-like beautyOllonk does all things with Zen-like beautyOllonk does all things with Zen-like beautyOllonk does all things with Zen-like beautyOllonk does all things with Zen-like beauty

I really appreciate the information.
This really makes me lean toward the Kindle 4, considering prices on eBay and whatnot.
Thanks guys!
Old 01-28-2013, 08:51 PM   #289
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
I really appreciate the information.
This really makes me lean toward the Kindle 4, considering prices on eBay and whatnot.
Thanks guys!
If you can find a K4 "Demo" machine, with the condition described as: "For spare parts only" - -
These are store demonstration machines, running demonstration software -
These machines are often cheap (in part because the K4 is glued closed - making it a bit hard to use them for 'parts').
AND they are very easy to "Un-Demo" by installing the factory consumer firmware.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:09 PM   #290
Ollonk

You mean like this?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Demo-Display...item460c2f8153

and this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Demo-Display...item460c394004

and this one's a touch: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Demo-Display...item3a7dd5ce91

Edit: also, before I buy one with no cables, it's just plain-jane micro USB, right?

Last edited by Ollonk; 01-28-2013 at 09:18 PM. Reason: added a link
Advert
Old 01-28-2013, 09:24 PM   #291
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
You mean like this?

Edit: also, before I buy one with no cables, it's just plain-jane micro USB, right?
Just like those. hammer. Nail. job done.

cables are cheap. micro thingy yes I believe so.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:28 PM   #292
Ollonk

Awesome! Now I just have to decide if I want a 4 or a 5.
Thanks for everything guys!

And I will also say, thank you for not just telling me "gtfo use search function" as happens on most forums when asking relatively ignorant questions.

Last edited by Ollonk; 01-28-2013 at 09:55 PM. Reason: No need to reply, I've answered my own questions.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:11 PM   #293
Ollonk

Success!

Hey guys, thought I'd just give an update.
I received a black(or silver? It's not white, but I don't know.. haha) K4 demo unit, and un-demo'd it with the "Guide to debricking Kindle Touch V4" pdf and the files from pastebin.
Kudos to you all, great community! Thanks a million!

Last edited by Ollonk; 02-01-2013 at 01:50 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:25 PM   #294
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hey guys, thought I'd just give an update.
I received a black K4 demo unit, and un-demo'd it with the "Guide to debricking Kindle Touch V4" pdf and the files from pastebin.
Kudos to you all, great community! Thanks a million!
Ah cool.

Thanks for the positive feedback
Old 02-01-2013, 02:01 PM   #295
Gianni
Gianni began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch jb
Hello, I'm trying to use a kindle touch kt5 with a raspberry pi (raspbian linux distribution).

I've enabled the usbnetwork on the kindle, and I'm able to ssh to it, entering a password.

pi@raspberrypi ~ $ sudo ifconfig usb0 192.168.15.201 && ssh root@192.168.15.244

I've installed the kindlevncviewer in the kindle.

Now I have to run Xvnc-start.sh?

In kvncviewer.sh I've removed
echo "send 139" > /proc/keypad
because it gives error...

thanks in advance...
Gianni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:02 PM   #296
twobob

and did you? IIRC you may need to just check the IP's in there.

[root@kindle root]# cat /mnt/us/bin/Xvnc-start.sh
Code:
#!/bin/sh -xe

orientation=`ssh root@192.168.2.2 cat /sys/module/eink_fb_hal_broads/parameters/bs_orientation`
if [ $orientation == 1 ] ; then
	geometry=1200x824
else
	geometry=824x1200
fi

/usr/bin/Xvnc --SecurityTypes=None -geometry $geometry -depth 16 -dpi 160 -alwaysshared :1 &
sleep 1
DISPLAY=:1 xterm &
DISPLAY=:1 dwm &
vncviewer :1 &
x2vnc -west 127.0.0.1:1 &
ssh root@192.168.2.2 /mnt/us/kindlevncviewer/kvncviewer.sh 192.168.2.1:1

That's what I have in there

Last edited by twobob; 02-01-2013 at 02:06 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:05 PM   #297
twobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
Oh, right! Got to remember to check this, I won't probably have the time for the next 3 days. Thank you for the notice!
You're welcome
Old 02-01-2013, 04:51 PM   #298
Ollonk

Quick question:
How would I go about opening Kindle VNC with KUAL? Is there some documentation about making applications work as extensions?
Old 02-01-2013, 06:20 PM   #299
Gianni
Gianni began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch jb
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
and did you? IIRC you may need to just check the IP's in there.
I fixed the IP, and tried all the different possible permutations but it doesn't seem to work, maybe it is not compatible with the kt5 after all..
Gianni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:22 PM   #300
twobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianni View Post
I fixed the IP, and tried all the different possible permutations but it doesn't seem to work, maybe it is not compatible with the kt5 after all..
I use it all the time.

Give me an hour or so and Ill dig up some working examples.

trying to recall a few basic tests that you should run in the first instance.

Tags
application, kindle, source, viewer, vnc