Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 07-24-2011, 07:26 PM   #1
sherryk_us
writer/reader
sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs 950, Sony prs 505 and REB 1200
Calibre Library Disk Full

A question for those more computer savvy than me:

I've been keeping my Calibre library on a 32GB thumb drive. It's almost full now, and I'm wondering if I could somehow split my collection in some logical way and have 2 libraries each one on a different thumb drive. I don't know if this is possible. Suggestions are welcome. I'm a huge reader and hate to get rid of any books. I don't want to store them on my main computer because I don't have all that much free memory.

Suggestions welcome.

Thanks

Sherry
sherryk_us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 07:53 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherryk_us View Post
A question for those more computer savvy than me:

I've been keeping my Calibre library on a 32GB thumb drive. It's almost full now, and I'm wondering if I could somehow split my collection in some logical way and have 2 libraries each one on a different thumb drive. I don't know if this is possible. Suggestions are welcome. I'm a huge reader and hate to get rid of any books. I don't want to store them on my main computer because I don't have all that much free memory.

Suggestions welcome.

Thanks

Sherry
You can create more than one Library.
My backup Library is "YellowLib" (the color of the thumb drive. Drive label: Yellow ), I also have "BluLib" on the Blue thumb drive.

Thumb drives are slow.
Why not get a external USB drive for about the same money and Lots, Lots bigger
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2011, 08:35 PM   #3
sherryk_us
writer/reader
sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs 950, Sony prs 505 and REB 1200
That's actually a great idea. I just started with the thumb drives because they are small enough to keep on my laptop. But the external would hold everything and that would be nice and handy.

Thanks for the suggestions.
sherryk_us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 02:52 AM   #4
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Thumb drives are slow.
Why not get a external USB drive for about the same money and Lots, Lots bigger

Especially when dealing with *lots* of small files (like a Calibre library consists of), they are abysmally slow. I did a mass update of my library (changing almost half of it) and the backup to a USB HD took 54 minutes using FreeFileSync. The same to my 32GB stick is still chugging away after 16 hours, and is now at 94.5%.

For large (40K books in my case) Calibre libraries USB sticks are not really a good solution.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote