Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-23-2011, 03:51 AM   #1
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
copying and pasting text

I have a question.
Is it possible to select, copy a selection of text from a book in Kindle or in a Kindle application? And paste it somewhere.

I am thinking mostly of the Kindle applications. Mac, iPad, iTouch in my case.
The reason for asking is that this possibility might be useful, while discussing a book. At least I am finding the need for it.

A solution is to de-protect the book and convert it to a more application friendly format. But other than that, is there any suggestion?

Thank you.
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 06:34 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Certainly. Highlight a section of text in a Kindle book and it appears in a file on the Kindle called "My Clippings". You can then copy it from there to your PC.

I'm not sure if it's possible to copy text from the Kindle for PC application. At first glance, I can't see a way to do so.

Last edited by HarryT; 07-23-2011 at 06:37 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2011, 07:30 AM   #3
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Certainly. Highlight a section of text in a Kindle book and it appears in a file on the Kindle called "My Clippings". You can then copy it from there to your PC.

I'm not sure if it's possible to copy text from the Kindle for PC application. At first glance, I can't see a way to do so.
thank you Harry.

I found a trick with PC application. I select the text, search it in Google and copy the google link that contains the text. Cumbersome, but it works.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:46 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Very clever! .
Old 07-23-2011, 09:55 AM   #5
markdek
Addict
markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by beppe View Post
thank you Harry.

I found a trick with PC application. I select the text, search it in Google and copy the google link that contains the text. Cumbersome, but it works.
Can you explain further?...ok, search in the Kindle browser, then what?
markdek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2011, 09:58 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Beppe is referring to the Kindle to PC application. If you highlight text on that, you get a pop-up menu, one of whose options is "Lookup in Google". Select that, and it opens your web browser, with a URL containing the text you've selected. That allows you to copy the text, and paste it elsewhere.

If you have a "real" Kindle, you can use the Clippings file, so no need for such subterfuge.
Old 07-23-2011, 11:08 AM   #7
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool interesting

Quote:
thank you Harry.

wow! that is really an interesting idea!
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 11:36 AM   #8
markdek
Addict
markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Ahhh, thxs; I have a Kindle, so I don't use Kindle for PC much.......really, not at all.
markdek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 01:29 PM   #9
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Beppe is referring to the Kindle to PC application. If you highlight text on that, you get a pop-up menu, one of whose options is "Lookup in Google". Select that, and it opens your web browser, with a URL containing the text you've selected. That allows you to copy the text, and paste it elsewhere.

If you have a "real" Kindle, you can use the Clippings file, so no need for such subterfuge.
I just tried this. I could actually scroll through the whole book on google. That surprised me that it would give access to the whole book.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 02:49 PM   #10
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool really?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
I just tried this. I could actually scroll through the whole book on google. That surprised me that it would give access to the whole book.

Carol
it was probably the book you picked, the several i've tried have had at most several chapters available.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 02:51 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

What Google returns is actually completely irrelevent to beppe's cunning trick. It's the search URL that gets you the text.
Old 07-24-2011, 02:02 AM   #12
beppe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post

Carol
Serendipity
Old 07-24-2011, 03:09 PM   #13
Bricorn
Addict
Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG
Quote:
thank you Harry.

Sneaky, I like it.
Bricorn is offline   Reply With Quote