Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-13-2011, 04:46 PM   #1
WikiStealer
WikiStealer began at the beginning.

Device: none
Kindle vs. Nook as a tablet lite or mobile device

I'm looking to acquire a jailbroken Kindle/rooted Nook, probably 3G since I assume such a network is more reliable than just going around trying to find open wifi networks. I don't expect to use it heavily, I just like the idea of being able to check Wikipedia/Yelp/Twitter/Facebook/Gmail on the go without a data plan. I don't have any care for video or games on such a device, I'm well aware of its limitations. Apps are nice but unnecessary. So, my questions are:

1. Is such mobile use of an ebook reader feasible? From what I understand limited browsing is already very possible, but I'd like to be able to Tweet once in a while or update various statuses. I mean feasible in terms of the processing power of the device and 3G/wifi speeds.

2. How extensive is 3G, if on say the west or east coast of the U.S. would it be possible to get coverage on a random city street?

3. Which device is more compact for such mobile use?

4. Are there any recommendable devices other than Kindle/Nook?

This is basically my concept:

Of course, having a portable library on the go is great as well.
WikiStealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 05:48 PM   #2
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: K1, GKDX, K3
There's a coverage map on the Amazon Kindle page that shows the coverage of the 3g service.... I'll be back in a second if I can find a picture of it.....

From my experience with a kindle 3g, using it for a quick Wikipedia search or facebook post it will work just fine. It's definitely not as fast as your phone might be but it does get the job done.... and probably has a bigger screen than your phone for more (greyscale) web-page viewing.
Anarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2011, 12:51 AM   #3
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
The Nook is Android so you can install 3rd party software. For example, I understand the Opera browser works on it.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 02:20 AM   #4
WikiStealer
WikiStealer began at the beginning.

Device: none
Any answers to my actual questions?
WikiStealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 05:03 PM   #5
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

1) yes on the Kindle- I have no experience on the nook.

2) I get a 3G signal everywhere I go- there's never been a time or location where I haven't been able to pick up a 3g signal... I never understand how people say they get a Wifi signal everywhere, unless they have open-minded neighbors or hang out at libraries or McDonalds all the time...

3) It depends on what version of the Kindle or Nook you're talking about but both are very thin and small. The difference between the two is negligible. Either would suit.

4) .... I can't think of any other devices that have free, no-strings internet access.... maybe an ipod touch if you want to pray to the gods that you can find an open hotspot? You weren't really clear on this point, it depends on what other features you want your device to have.
Advert
Old 07-17-2011, 07:03 PM   #6
TedJ
Groupie
TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarel View Post
I never understand how people say they get a Wifi signal everywhere, unless they have open-minded neighbors or hang out at libraries or McDonalds all the time...
Two locations the majority of users spend the majority of their time are at work and at home. I have WiFi at both. Many shops and cafés i frequent also have free WiFi.

The only time I require a 3G connection is from a moving vehicle... and I should probably be looking where I'm going, not buying books or surfing the web.
TedJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 07:57 PM   #7
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarel View Post
2) I get a 3G signal everywhere I go- there's never been a time or location where I haven't been able to pick up a 3g signal... I never understand how people say they get a Wifi signal everywhere, unless they have open-minded neighbors or hang out at libraries or McDonalds all the time...
Or Starbucks or B&N...

I have a Sony 950, and it has a browser and 3G. I also have a K3 and specifically opted for the Wi-fi versus 3G because I hardly ever need 3G access. When I am away from home, more than likely Wi-fi is available at the hotel or airport. There is usually a McDonalds or Starbucks nearby when you need to stop on the road. The Sony 950 and K3 both have wikipedia integrated into word look-up/searches.

3G is available in most big cities. Coverage is much more extensive in the Eastern US than in the West. It's hard to say what your options would be if you are in a small-town, especially out West. You should consult the Amazon or AT&T websites for coverage maps.

Are you set on e-ink? You might want to investigate the NOOKcolor. Otherwise, I think the Kindle 3 with 3G will meet your needs best. The browser is decent and allows you to download books directly from websites like Feedbooks and Project Gutenberg. I like that the browser has an article mode that makes it much easier to isolate the text of the article from all the graphics, comments and advertising on a webpage. It should meet your basic needs as long as your expectations are set appropriately.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 10:56 PM   #8
Anarel
Evangelist

Hn, that sounded... >_< I mean, I understand it, but I'm lucky enough to have a 3g signal and unlucky enough to not have open Wifi, I guess.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:23 PM   #9
jago25_98
Zealot
jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: n35 p800 n30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
and allows you to download books directly from websites like Feedbooks and Project Gutenberg
ah... but what about this $0.30c/mb or $3 threshold or $0.10c per email charge... so are we needing a credit card linked?

I love the idea of free 3G globally but I can't help thinking that it's too good t be true, like perhaps someone will create a wifi 3G hotspot teathering app or take the simcard out and the service will somehow be ultra restricted.

I seem t ohave more faith in the Nook being hackable. I found mention of a landscape app for it once rooted that makes .pdf support really good... probably a lot better than trying to reflow via Caliber on the K3... and pdf support for me is really important...

...that said 3G free globally would be really really nice....
jago25_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 06:33 PM   #10
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I'd go with the Nook Color and root it. It's probably the most economical Android tablet available. Rooted it gives you way more possibilities than the Kindle which is really just a book reader and web browser(and not that great at web browsing). The kindle is e-ink though which works much in bright light than the Nook Color.

Even though I've got a zoom I keep thinking of getting a Nook Color...to supplement it...yeah that's it, supplement it!

Last edited by kennyc; 07-20-2011 at 06:35 PM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 07:44 PM   #11
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedJ View Post
Two locations the majority of users spend the majority of their time are at work and at home. I have WiFi at both. Many shops and cafés i frequent also have free WiFi.
And two major locations when away from home with stores everywhere are McDonald's and Starbucks; not to mention libraries and bookstores.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 12:48 AM   #12
TedJ
Groupie
TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: Kobo Touch
The free WiFi at every McDonalds I've been to in .au has been slow to the point of being unusable and I don't frequent Starbucks as I drink coffee.
TedJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:30 PM   #13
jago25_98
Zealot
jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: n35 p800 n30
"I'd go with the Nook Color and root it."

Love the idea but... LCD display... got enough of those... and I'm paranoid the next gen displays are just about to come though... ok the Notion Adam wasn't what I was hoping but now I'm hoping the Mirasol displays will come out...

for me the whole point is that I don't like reading off LCD. I sit indoors and get a headache. I'd rather be on the beach. Is the Nook colour nicer to read somehow?

With a book I read a bit, look up, think.. continue a bit more; it's thoughtful.

With a LCD I get to a point where I just have to go outside and take a break... and I forget what it was I sat down to read! So I generally don't read at all... not now that I travel so much I can't carry books!

Boy, I hope these displays come out on phones then I can carry just one things about
jago25_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 05:23 AM   #14
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
As I said, if you are going to read in direct sunlight....
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:42 PM   #15
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
A nook color is much more tablet like than a Kindle. But it doesn't have 3G, making it much less tablet like if you don't have wifi. :-)

As for wifi availability, you'll have to consider your own usage patterns; I tend to find wifi availability to *not* be pervasive, despite the prevalence of Starbucks and McDonald's.

I.e., if I'm at my mom's house and someone asks how old Einstein was when he died, "Let's drive to McDonald's and look it up!" isn't a great answer.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote