Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-01-2011, 04:40 PM   #106
ShooterMcGee
Enthusiast
ShooterMcGee has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ShooterMcGee has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ShooterMcGee has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ShooterMcGee has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ShooterMcGee has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-350SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunixer View Post
Ha. I believe it. If you count Harry Potter and Twilight as the trash that they are and don't put people who have read those in the numbers they would be even lower.
I think Harry Potter and Twilight could be used as gateway books to better material. Reading fluff is better than nothing, right? But it's a great way to introduce other authors. "Oh, if you liked Twilight, then you'll love <insert book here>"
ShooterMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 05:29 PM   #107
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I'd be interested to hear reasons from those calling 'Harry Potter' "trash."
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2011, 08:43 PM   #108
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
I'd be interested to hear reasons from those calling 'Harry Potter' "trash."
Same.

Buried underneath the kids' stories are some really acid send-ups of British politics -- even I know enough about the UK to catch those. I think that's one of the things I like about them: they exist on so many different levels.

I've been a bookworm since I was four years old, and after a neighbor introduced me to the Harry Potter novels (good thing they weren't ebooks!) I had them all on reserve or Amazon street-date delivery. Maybe I'm just plebeian; I can't get into James Joyce's Ulysses and Elliot's The Wasteland doesn't do a thing for me ... if so, guilty, but I loved the Harry Potter books. And I am so very not a pre-teen.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 10:44 PM   #109
Love.Forever.
Monarch Butterfly ...
Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S4, Nexus 7 32GB, Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8"
I can believe that. There's people I know in university now that haven't graduated yet but don't even read a book outside the readings needed for a course (if even that sometimes). But I love to read so I could see myself doing so after university
Love.Forever. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 03:25 PM   #110
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love.Forever. View Post
I can believe that. There's people I know in university now that haven't graduated yet but don't even read a book outside the readings needed for a course (if even that sometimes). But I love to read so I could see myself doing so after university
I have to admit that when I was in college it was difficult for me to read anything outside of the material I needed to read for class. In fact, the summer was usually the only time I read for pleasure when I was in college. It was probably a combination of me being a slow reader and a need for better/awesome time management.

Now that I'm done with college I read much more for pleasure. If/when I go to back to grad school, I know that reading done outside of class will probably fall by the wayside again. It doesn't mean I don't love reading just that required reading takes up a lot of time (for me at least).
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2011, 10:55 PM   #111
Love.Forever.
Monarch Butterfly ...
Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S4, Nexus 7 32GB, Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8"
I'm in university and yeah I have to admit, it's hard to read something outside of the sea of readings required. It's summer vacation, like for you, that are one of the only times I can read for fun, and winter vacation. I'm just trying to figure out which novels to tackle first now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithbw View Post
I have to admit that when I was in college it was difficult for me to read anything outside of the material I needed to read for class. In fact, the summer was usually the only time I read for pleasure when I was in college. It was probably a combination of me being a slow reader and a need for better/awesome time management.

Now that I'm done with college I read much more for pleasure. If/when I go to back to grad school, I know that reading done outside of class will probably fall by the wayside again. It doesn't mean I don't love reading just that required reading takes up a lot of time (for me at least).
Love.Forever. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 11:38 PM   #112
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k3G, kindle DXG, Sony T-1, iPad, iPhone, stone tablet
College students read books?
bZkindle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
reading, stats