Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Flea Market

Notices

Old 01-31-2011, 10:25 AM   #1
anabolina
Groupie
anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current: tablet, kindle paperwhite, onyx boox t68. Past: Sony, nook
Looking for 2 E-Readers for $50 each

Hi all, I just bought my first e-reading device, the Sony PRS-350 and am really liking it and now I want to share the joy with my family or more importantly my grandmother. I really think she has run out of space for books in her house and she sometimes has trouble getting around to stores and libraries. Now the local library does subscribe to over drive so I would like to get her and the aunt who lives with her an e-reader with an e-ink display.

The only other requirement is that it must be compatible with epubs and pdfs downloaded through overdrive and it should have a 6 inch screen. While I really like my 350, the screen is a little small and if they try to increase the font size, they would have to do a lot more page turns.

Now it would be nice for it to have adjustable font sizes and be stable and durable (the aunt sometimes watches my cousin's toddler and travels for work 50%-75% of the time so it'll get banged around a bit.)

Oh and the screen should not be cracked and it should hold a charge please.

So if anyone has any old e-reader devices sitting around that they are willing to let go for around $50 each with shipping, then please let me know. I'm on a bit of a budget right now and as much as I love my grandma and aunt, my budget doesn't allow for more than $100. I would just get one, but since my aunt travels so much, I thought she would appreciate it too. I'm really new to this whole e-reader thing so if $50 is too little for a old, used e-reader, definitely let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by anabolina; 02-18-2011 at 10:05 AM.
anabolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:43 AM   #2
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
I think you are going to be hard presses to find something in your price range... even some of the older models fetch close to $100 each... who knows though, perhaps there will be something out there that will fit into your budget
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2011, 11:04 AM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
NOTE TO ALL MEMBERS:

Please read the STICKY, which is directed toward ALL careful Members of MobileRead.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 12:55 PM   #4
anabolina
Groupie
anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes and there's no hurry so I suppose I can wait and keep trying Craigslist and Ebay. Gma's birthday isn't until the end of February and my aunt's isn't until May. By then I might be able to save up a bit and spend up to $75. Just gotta keep on trucking lol. I'll keep an eye out for the sales and I'm sure something will turn up...

Last edited by anabolina; 01-31-2011 at 01:02 PM.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:07 PM   #5
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...Reader+blog%29

This may be something thought the review is not, eh, great
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2011, 11:29 PM   #6
MR. Pockets
Addict
MR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch, Aluratek Libre Pro
I know nothing first hand, but I have heard that the Literati is a good ereader if;
1. You can stand a backlit screen
2. You are willing to deal with the "third rate product" issues (poor button response, slow speeds, etc)
3. You are willing to reset it a lot

But like I said, that is just what I hear. Oh and;
4. Being "techie" doesn't hurt in the least...
MR. Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:05 AM   #7
MR. Pockets
Addict
MR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch, Aluratek Libre Pro
Quick update. My brother and sister each bought a literati and the latest firmware makes it a rather nice (for $40) ereader. Battery life isn't great (about what you would expect from an lcd backlit device) and loading 3rd party books is a tad difficult, but the Kobo bookstore is implemented well and Calibre seems to fix most side loading issues. (There are several other small "quirks" like the cover partially covers the power button, syncing the reader doesn't always work the first time you try, etc, but I am going to get one for myself.)

There is a small "hack" for it outlined at this thread;https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=113151. I just set it to go to "http://www.google.com/webhp?rls=ig" and search for whatever site I want from there.

Last edited by MR. Pockets; 02-04-2011 at 01:43 PM.
MR. Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 05:14 PM   #8
anabolina
Groupie

thanks for the replies rcuadro and MrPocket. I ended up just buying one for my grandmother since her birthday was Saturday. I picked up the PRS-300 off craigslist for $65. I little more than I wanted to spend but reasonable and no need to worry about shipping. The guy even lived about a 15 minute drive away so it didn't take long. Gma loves it and spent the whole weekend learning how to use it :-) I gave it to her with about 100 ebooks, a mix of newer ones with public domain ones I found here at the wonderful mobileread and set up a Singapore library account and adobe digital editions account so she can find some of her own books to download. Even with 100 books on it, there is still plenty of space. The PRS-300 is certainly more tetchy then my PRS-350. I'll have to wait on my aunt's for awhile though. Maybe I'll find another sub-$85 ebook reader in the future.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:41 PM   #9
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Glad it all worked out!

If you go to your first post, you can choose Edit and then change the tag on the thread from "Buy" to "Ended" so that other MR readers know you've found one. Just a tip.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 10:04 AM   #10
anabolina
Groupie

thanks!