Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 10-18-2010, 11:23 AM   #1
bokjeid
Addict
bokjeid began at the beginning.

Device: DR1000S
Will this external bettery pack be available with DR1000S?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Portable-12V-9V-...item3a5ee63d13

I found out that no white noise comes out from DR1000S when it is being charged(I don't know if it can also be applied to others' devices) and decided to buy an external battery pack which has large capacity.
The one at the upper link will work well with DR1000S, considering its specifications? Although its capacity is 15000mAh(Wow!)-5V, it seems so cheaper, doesn't it?
I wonder what your thoughts are.
bokjeid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:29 AM   #2
bokjeid
Addict

Another one with 'brand name', more expensive but less capacity:

http://www.anypower.com/eng/html/eme...y-charger.html
Advert
Old 10-19-2010, 04:36 PM   #3
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
I would imagine the same caution that applies to wall chargers would apply here. Many of them claim that they follow the USB spec and/or that they supply 5V, but apparently you can't always believe it.

Unless you get lucky and someone on here has used that exact brand/model before, I think the best we would be able to tell you is "try it and see what happens".
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 09:33 PM   #4
bokjeid
Addict

Yes, I'll buy it and post the result here later after I've finished repairing my own device..
Old 10-20-2010, 09:22 AM   #5
Jumpn Jack Flash
Lazy Git
Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.

Device: iRex DR800S
I have been thinking about using eneloops but I have not got around to it

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/31/s...e-your-gadget/

http://www.eneloop.info/products/mobile-boosters.html
Jumpn Jack Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2010, 02:55 AM   #6
Groen
eReader
Groen began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Tekkeon TekCharge MP1550

Some time ago I bought the Tekkeon TekCharge MP1550, which works together with the DR1000S. It takes four AA batteries, either disposable or rechargable batteries. It can charge the rechargable batteries. I have four 2700 mAh batteries in it, which allow me to recharge the DR1000S three times (so it is not an efficient way of using energy). The advantage of the this device is that if your rechargable batteries run dry during travelling, you can always buy some disposable AA batteries and continue working.

Mark
Groen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 08:38 AM   #7
bokjeid
Addict

Thank both of you very much!! I didn't know that there are such things at all!! Your information really helped me. Especially, Mark, TekCharge MP1550 really seems what I was looking for. It meets all of my needs. Even, the price of it plus 4 Ni-MH batteries is less than just half of the price of a Li-ion battery pack in the market now, following my search today. I think that I don't need a expensive Li-ion or Li-polymer external battery and Ni-MH is enough for my use for DR1000S, so it'll actually save much of my money. Although I think it is a very good product, it or similar ones are not being sold here. Thank you again, Mark.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:48 PM   #8
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Device: iRex DR1000S
Given the problems that other people have with using USB chargers that do not give a 'clean' 5V, be sure that the output of the 'power pack' is a "5V Regulated" like the Tekkeon. (and please report here which one you bought and if it works )
Mackx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:44 PM   #9
bokjeid
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackx View Post
Given the problems that other people have with using USB chargers that do not give a 'clean' 5V, be sure that the output of the 'power pack' is a "5V Regulated" like the Tekkeon. (and please report here which one you bought and if it works )
I see, I'm going to buy Tekkeon and post the result here, later!
Old 11-02-2010, 03:39 AM   #10
bokjeid
Addict

Today the Tekkeon arrived here and tried it - it works well now! I don't know how much additional battery time it would give to my DR1000S but I'm about to know it..
First of all, 'no white noise' any more from the device - great!!
Anyway, thanks for good informations about the battery pack items!

Last edited by bokjeid; 11-02-2010 at 03:42 AM.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:40 PM   #11
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Glad it works well, that's good to know. Thanks for following up and letting us know how it turned out.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:13 PM   #12
bokjeid
Addict

You're welcome
Old 11-03-2010, 02:39 AM   #13
bokjeid
Addict

I bought the left angled mini USB gender cable for DR1000S and the battery pack. You can see it at the below link.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Mini-usb-5-pin-B...item4aa5f25f62

While it is used, DR1000S can't recognize PC connection by USB cable. That's to say, it regards my PC as just a USB charger - the PC connection popup doesn't show up any more. So I should pull it off and use only original USB cable for DR1000S.
Is it common thing with the angled USB gender? How can I make DR1000S work properly on the connection with PC?

---
ps. I'd not like to unplug the angled USB gender from the device as long as possible, so as to prevent the mini USB port from being broken - I've seen other people's some cases in the past in this forum.

---
(added)
Ah, I found it out that some USB cables on the market doesn't support data transfer but only power supply. The one I bought seems like this kind. So it'd be a simple problem to solve - now I'm about to order another one which also supports data transfer. I didn't know about it at all. It seems that some caution needed when buying the USB gender..

Last edited by bokjeid; 11-03-2010 at 08:19 AM.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:06 PM   #14
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokjeid View Post
Ah, I found it out that some USB cables on the market doesn't support data transfer but only power supply. The one I bought seems like this kind. So it'd be a simple problem to solve - now I'm about to order another one which also supports data transfer. I didn't know about it at all. It seems that some caution needed when buying the USB gender..
Yeah, that would have been my first guess. Internally, it probably only has the wires for the power connected end-to-end. Not sure why they do that, doesn't seem like it would be a big deal to include the others as well, but I guess it's not uncommon. There must be some reason for it.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:28 PM   #15
bokjeid
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Yeah, that would have been my first guess. Internally, it probably only has the wires for the power connected end-to-end. Not sure why they do that, doesn't seem like it would be a big deal to include the others as well, but I guess it's not uncommon. There must be some reason for it.
Thanks for your reply to it. I ordered another left angled mini USB extention cable at USBFireWire.com(also posted in this forum), which costs more than $20(including shipping fee) although the another one(supports only power supply) I bought on ebay costed only $2(including shipping fee!). The one I ordered at this time seems to support data transfer(not only power supply) because there are pics of the one with GPS devices on the site. I assume 10 times expensive one would do..
In my guess, the USB extention cable which doesn't support data transfer like that would be somewhat cheaper than the other one which supports. Its margin would be a little in case of only one item but the wholesalers usually deal with hundreds or thousands or more items at once - so the cheaper cable would have been likely to be produced more and spreaded more widely on the market..
Anyway, I'll test the cable more than $20 after it is delivered here later!

Last edited by bokjeid; 11-03-2010 at 11:31 PM.