Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 08-03-2003, 07:52 PM   #1
BasilC
Zealot
BasilC is on a distinguished road

Device: Palm Tungsten T3
Question Anyone know how to convert a pdf table into a table in Word or HTML?

I'm trying to convert Internet train timetables into a form which will work with iSilo. A lot of UK online timetables are in pdf format, which is a real pain.

I try selecting the text and copying it into Word or Excel, but no joy, it gets completely garbled.

Anyone know of an alternative. I thought about saving it as an image and then running a sophisticated OCR against it, like Textbridge Pro, but I suspect that's an expensive program and I'm not sure it would work anyway
BasilC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 02:45 AM   #2
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
I recommend using Gemini (see post http://www.turcic.com/forums/showthr...=1772#post1772) which is the only one that can specifically convert pdf tables to html. It is not cheap though
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 06:30 PM   #3
BasilC
Zealot
BasilC is on a distinguished road

Device: Palm Tungsten T3
Thanks, Alex, I might give it a go.

Last night I downloaded a trial version of ABBYY FineReader 6.0 Professional , which is an optical character recognition program which can convert pdf files.

I tried it on a sample timetable, but it didn't make a very good job of it. The problem seems to be that it's actually working on the basis of an image of the pdf page, and this particular image is very misleading as to where the column dividers are. However, I haven't read the extensive instructions and tutorials, so there might be a way to improve the performance.
BasilC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2003, 01:16 AM   #4
palmtungsten
palmtungsten began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Tungsten T2
Not sure if this would work, but if you have documents to go premium edition (from dataviz, http://www.dataviz.com/products/docu...ogo/index.html) it has pdf support, just drag and drop the pdf file to DTG window and the conversion is automatic, and you'll be able to read the pdf file on your palm.

Good luck!
palmtungsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 09:45 PM   #5
Novelwriter
Big Dog
Novelwriter began at the beginning.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by BasilC View Post
I'm trying to convert Internet train timetables into a form which will work with iSilo. A lot of UK online timetables are in pdf format, which is a real pain.

I try selecting the text and copying it into Word or Excel, but no joy, it gets completely garbled.

Anyone know of an alternative. I thought about saving it as an image and then running a sophisticated OCR against it, like Textbridge Pro, but I suspect that's an expensive program and I'm not sure it would work anyway
Here is a quick and easy (FREE) online way to convert files:

http://www.convertpdftoword.net/

Novelwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 08:47 PM   #6
carlobee
Fanatic
carlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-books

Device: The new iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novelwriter View Post
Here is a quick and easy (FREE) online way to convert files:

http://www.convertpdftoword.net/

i've been using this too. i'll recommend this one.
carlobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 12:33 AM   #7
EricDP
Groupie
EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook, BlackBerry
What happens if you use Calibre?
EricDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 01:02 AM   #8
Poppa1956
Evangelist
Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Verizon Ellipsis Tablit w/Kindle and Nook apps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricDP View Post
What happens if you use Calibre?
It ain't pretty. Unless there's some trick to it I could learn by reading the manual.

Last edited by Poppa1956; 06-25-2010 at 01:03 AM. Reason: Like that will happen.
Poppa1956 is offline   Reply With Quote