Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-22-2009, 09:34 PM   #1
Terranova3y2
Terranova3y2 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Unable to create account to buy books on the ebook store

Hey guys,

I just bought my first ebook reader today and it's already giving me a headache. I picked up the PRS-600 and installed the Reader Library software when I clicked on the "eBook Store" I was told to register my device, it brought me to a Sony website where I put in the serial number and my personal details and that was that. The problem is, on the Reader Library it's still telling me to register my device :S

When I checked help files and the "How it Works" section of the Sony website it told me to go to the eBook Store page and there should be an account registration button in the top navigation bar, I've looked in every drop down menu and page and I can't find it.

I've uninstalled, reinstalled the program and nothing.

I tried searching these forums for the answer but I couldn't see anyone having the same problem.

Is there something I'm doing wrong or is it a known bug?

I added a screenshot to clarify the page I'm talking about

Click image for larger version

Name:	Reader Library.JPG
Views:	318
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	41746

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Terranova3y2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 09:40 PM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
You need to register the device to an account, and it sounds like what you did before was more of a generic product registration. Open the Sony library software, and on the left in the menu bar click "eBookstore." On the left corner of the main page (you're browsing the store through the library now), you'll see the store logo, and on the right of that there should be a login or sign in. Create an account there (it might just say sign in, but if you click it there will be a "Create an Account" option). It should prompt you at some point to add a device, but if it doesn't by the time you create your account, you can add your Reader by going to "My Account" in the eBookstore (via the library software) and going to "Manage Devices."

Hope this helps!
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 09:41 PM   #3
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Oh darnit, I just saw your picture and realized you are registering with WH Smiths, which totally changes things. I can't help you then
Old 12-22-2009, 09:48 PM   #4
Terranova3y2

I think that WHSmiths thing is just an advertisement, so it seems theres no login button for me...wtf
Old 12-22-2009, 09:49 PM   #5
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Try clicking the little home icon on the top of the screen and see where that takes you.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:53 PM   #6
Terranova3y2

I tried, it just refreshes those 3 adverts.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:54 PM   #7
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Uggh. I have no idea what it is doing. Hopefully one of our UK members will chime in soon for you.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:57 PM   #8
goldilocks
Addict
goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Is your reader plugged iinto the computer? Don't know if that would be a problem or not.
goldilocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 09:57 PM   #9
Terranova3y2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Uggh. I have no idea what it is doing. Hopefully one of our UK members will chime in soon for you.
I just hope there is a simple solution Thanks for trying to help

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldilocks View Post
Is your reader plugged iinto the computer? Don't know if that would be a problem or not.
I've tried it with it plugged in and out to see if there was a difference but nothing
Old 12-22-2009, 10:01 PM   #10
Terranova3y2

Hmm, I've just got something new now.

I plugged in my Reader then closed down the Reader Library and opened it again and got a "The page you are looking for does not exist" :S

EDIT: Nevermind, when I clicked the Home button it brought me back to the 3 adverts page again
Old 12-22-2009, 10:28 PM   #11
goldilocks
Addict
goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Are you in the UK? I found this on the website:

The Reader Store is currently available in the United States and Canada only.

If you reside in the United Kingdom, please visit Sony-UK for more info on availability in your area.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:32 PM   #12
Terranova3y2

Quote:
Quote:
Are you in the UK? I found this on the website:

The Reader Store is currently available in the United States and Canada only.

If you reside in the United Kingdom, please visit Sony-UK for more info on availability in your area.
I'm in Ireland. Well I guess that explains that. Why the hell are Sony advertising the ebook store here when it's not even accessible.

Could you give me the link you got that info from, I didn't see it anywhere myself.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:48 PM   #13
goldilocks
Addict

Here's the link: http://ebooks.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/99

Now, I'm not saying you should do this but I think some people use the Sony store by saying they are somewhere else. But I don't know how involved it is (like credit card info with address). But maybe you could still get the freebies!
Old 12-22-2009, 10:50 PM   #14
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terranova3y2 View Post
I'm in Ireland. Well I guess that explains that. Why the hell are Sony advertising the ebook store here when it's not even accessible.

Could you give me the link you got that info from, I didn't see it anywhere myself.
You're OK. The Sony store is only available in US and Canada, but in other countries they use other stores, in your case WH Smiths.

Well in the meantime you can download some books on here (free! go to the top of the screen, and on the blue bar you'll see ebooks, then select BBeb for Sony - there's some good stuff in there). Right now you are being stopped from *buying* ebooks. So if you want to get rocking and rolling check out what we have here!

Download is easy, just save the file, then in the Library click "File," then "Import Files" and select the book you just downloaded and then it's in your library
Old 12-22-2009, 10:50 PM   #15
vagosv
vagosv began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
What happen is that you select UK on the beginning of the installation, so you should reinstall and select the proper country, also you should delete some folders of the app to complete the reinstall.
vagosv is offline   Reply With Quote