Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-21-2009, 06:10 PM   #1
mkrndll
mkrndll began at the beginning.

Device: none
Exclamation What eBook reader should I buy (Spain)

Hey!

<!-- That long paragraph is only to apologize for asking for help knowing how much information there's in the forums -->
I'm looking for my first ebook reader device. I've read a lot of info in the forums and the wiki, but I get lost in the crazy amount of information and the one-sided reviews. Another main issue I have is that everything I read seems to be regarding to US customers, but I can't find reliable information about how ebooks work in Spain.

Can you help me?
I'm looking for an eBook reader device that has the following features (by order of importance):
  1. has access to a good store with recent non-fiction titles in English (at least)
  2. costs under 500$ (the lower the better).
  3. has good support for Spain
  4. supports some kind of notation or, at least, highlighting.
  5. is readable under (direct) sunlight
  6. reads PDF's with science notations and, ideally, graphs.
  7. big screen, but low weight.
  8. long battery-life
  9. the ebooks from the store are DRM-free
  10. the lower the price of the ebooks the better
  11. is able to play music

I didn't add it first, but obviously, the better the resolution and the amount of grays, the better .

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by mkrndll; 11-21-2009 at 06:21 PM.
mkrndll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 06:31 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, mkrndll

I'm sure some of our members from Spain, and more knowledgeable members from other places will be chiming in soon with their views.

Enjoy the forums
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 07:34 PM   #3
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkrndll View Post
Hey![*]has access to a good store with recent non-fiction titles in English (at least)[*]costs under 500$ (the lower the better).[*]has good support for Spain[*]supports some kind of notation or, at least, highlighting.[*]is readable under (direct) sunlight[*]reads PDF's with science notations and, ideally, graphs.[*]big screen, but low weight.[*]long battery-life[*]the ebooks from the store are DRM-free[*]the lower the price of the ebooks the better[*]is able to play music[/LIST]
I didn't add it first, but obviously, the better the resolution and the amount of grays, the better
Man. If you find all that, some of us might move to Spain!
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 03:22 AM   #4
mkrndll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmon View Post
Man. If you find all that, some of us might move to Spain!
Hahaha, yeah, I can see that.

It'd be great to have a device with all those features. It doesn't have to though; I gave a list by order of preference, so that you can recommend something, maybe with less features, but that has the most important ones covered.
Old 11-22-2009, 05:15 AM   #5
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Hello,

Welcome to the forum. I was looking at your list and my answer is fast: none .

First of all, there's no good store for Spanish titles (there're some small stores, mainly with PDF e-books, some with sci-fi titles, other mainstream), but wide catalog and best-sellers: none.

I think the only one with big screen and touch screen is iRex (or iLiad, I don't remember well), and it's about 400 or 500€ (a friend of mine watched one at a VIP's, so perhaps you can find one there).

And DRM-free, tsk, tsk. There're going to be two big platforms in Spain, which will be introduced at December, but both of them will include DRM (one of them will seel ePub and Mobipocket DRM-ed books).

Sorry, I can help you more. And a recommendation (if nobody is angry about it). For ebook readers in Spain, you can look at: Lectores electrónicos.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 09:01 AM   #6
mkrndll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
Hello,

Welcome to the forum. I was looking at your list and my answer is fast: none .

First of all, there's no good store for Spanish titles (there're some small stores, mainly with PDF e-books, some with sci-fi titles, other mainstream), but wide catalog and best-sellers: none.

I think the only one with big screen and touch screen is iRex (or iLiad, I don't remember well), and it's about 400 or 500€ (a friend of mine watched one at a VIP's, so perhaps you can find one there).

And DRM-free, tsk, tsk. There're going to be two big platforms in Spain, which will be introduced at December, but both of them will include DRM (one of them will seel ePub and Mobipocket DRM-ed books).

Sorry, I can help you more. And a recommendation (if nobody is angry about it). For ebook readers in Spain, you can look at: Lectores electrónicos.
Thanks a lot for your comment and for your website recommendation I'm sure it's gonna help me a lot!
Old 11-23-2009, 09:32 AM   #7
trikar
trikar began at the beginning.

Device: International Amazon Kindle
Editorials Spanish of Spain Sucks. They want to sell epub ebooks and have hate & afraid to Amazon Mobi. Amazon Kindle its the best ereader now. Why Spanish editorials dont sell new ebooks in Amazon?
trikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 10:22 AM   #8
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
My advice would be prs-600, as it can take note, and that reflow make it a bit better to read pdf.
But, reading complex book will never do on a 6", you'll need a bigger screen to read these properly. (iRex is where you should look there, but only the latest have ePub support)

trikar, blame amazon for insisting a using a differant format than the rest of the world

Last edited by EowynCarter; 11-23-2009 at 10:25 AM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 10:33 AM   #9
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post

trikar, blame amazon for insisting a using a differant format than the rest of the world
Well, I've got a different point of view as former Palm user .
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 01:18 PM   #10
SeniorSeau
SeniorSeau began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkrndll View Post
Hey!

(...)

Can you help me?
I'm looking for an eBook reader device that has the following features (by order of importance):
  1. has access to a good store with recent non-fiction titles in English (at least)
  2. costs under 500$ (the lower the better).
  3. has good support for Spain
  4. supports some kind of notation or, at least, highlighting.
  5. is readable under (direct) sunlight
  6. reads PDF's with science notations and, ideally, graphs.
  7. big screen, but low weight.
  8. long battery-life
  9. the ebooks from the store are DRM-free
  10. the lower the price of the ebooks the better
  11. is able to play music

I didn't add it first, but obviously, the better the resolution and the amount of grays, the better .

Thanks for your help!
Dude, I am in about the same situation than you.

I am visiting Chicago next week, and I was really hpoing to see the IrexDR800 and the new Sony Ereader in stores. Unfortunately, I am kinda aware this is not going to happen.

Check out Irex DR8000 and Sony Reader Daily Edition. They both might be useful for you when they hit stores, so take a look at them if you haven't already.

I highlighted the features I am looking for in a ereader. If you guys think some of the already available ereaders might be "the one for me", your comments will be highly appreciated.
SeniorSeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 02:38 PM   #11
mkrndll

I met with fellow mobilereader Max today and he showcased the iLiad v2 for me. It's a great device and it has only convinced me that an eBook reader is a must acquisition.

@SeniorSeau: I've also found out today that 8 inches is the way to go for me. It seems that -indeed- we're exactly in the same situation, because I was looking at both the Irex DR800 and the PSR-900. I'm just hoping the rumored price of the DR800 won't go up.