Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 10-15-2009, 06:34 AM   #91
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRebel View Post
Yes, I am listening to the TV.... wait, what are you talking about?
You suggesting I buy another battery?
Possibly. You definitely seem to have an attraction for battery issues for some reason.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 06:02 PM   #92
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
most of the time I tried with the included adapter, as that is what is suggested in the manual (I read the F manual :P ).
When the device was locked up, it didn't seem to get charged, but when not locked up, it seems to charge correctly....I don't know, it's very non-deterministic with this device. In this case, non-deterministic is not good at all.
hahahaha...sorry that one is subtle but funny, I suppose it depends, sensitively, on initial conditions? Still it has a strange attraction causing one to NEED to investigate...

But it might not be a battery issue at all, it could very well be the adapter connection and/or the USB hub...of course of the battery used is a smart Li-Poly and had smart circuitry on it, that could be flaky...now that the Bebook Mini is getting out there more info is sure to turn up on this reader. Someone posted a link to the Bebook site that one of the people there, and there were pictures, had paint come off on a BLACK device just like the color devices here. So more info is bound to trickle out about the battery issue.

I am probably going with a Pocketbook 360 but am going to wait a bit, though at least the 360 has been in use in Ukraine, Russia and a few other places for a while now...still their 302 touch screen looks nice as well, darn all these new devices.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 06:13 PM   #93
wpeace
Seer
wpeace began at the beginning.

Device: Nook WP7 Pocket PC/SmartQ7/Pocket Pro/A5A iPad Streak 5
Quote:
I tried pushing and holding almost every button and a few combinations.... right now it should be on it's way back to CA....RMAed
I took the time to read through this thread to see if I saw anything different than what I've seen, but I have not.

My PEZ also has been having the same problem, getting stuck in "keyboard locked mode." I have been able to use the reset button to restart the device.

Holding in the reset for a couple of seconds before releasing. Depressing once does not appear to work. My battery was charged when this occurs. The one time my battery was drained when it was locked the lock released normally and the PEZ powered off.

My indication is there is some h/w glitch as I've also noticed it only occurs when the PEZ is in "keyboard lock" mode for an extended period.

To remedy that, I've gotten in the habit of just powering it off. While inconvienent, I've not seen a lockup in over a week.

REGARDLESS, The one thing I'd like to see as an enhancement is visibility into how much power is left in the battery while reading (maybe a status bar). It's a bit annoying to have to bring up the menu to see battery life.
wpeace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 06:42 PM   #94
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpeace View Post
I took the time to read through this thread to see if I saw anything different than what I've seen, but I have not.

My PEZ also has been having the same problem, getting stuck in "keyboard locked mode." I have been able to use the reset button to restart the device.

Holding in the reset for a couple of seconds before releasing. Depressing once does not appear to work. My battery was charged when this occurs. The one time my battery was drained when it was locked the lock released normally and the PEZ powered off.

My indication is there is some h/w glitch as I've also noticed it only occurs when the PEZ is in "keyboard lock" mode for an extended period.

To remedy that, I've gotten in the habit of just powering it off. While inconvienent, I've not seen a lockup in over a week.

REGARDLESS, The one thing I'd like to see as an enhancement is visibility into how much power is left in the battery while reading (maybe a status bar). It's a bit annoying to have to bring up the menu to see battery life.
Well I have found with a .mobi that my PP "locks up" for lack of a better phrase. Usually the issue occurs when first loading the book, or if the reader has been left alone for a few hours or in keyboard lock mode. They light flashes when pressing buttons but nothing happens. Holding the power turns the unit off without issue.

I have only had that issue when reading a .mobi that I made with Calibre (havent tested another .mobi) but other file formats I have used (both bought and converted by Calibre) havent caused me any grief.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 07:20 PM   #95
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
..... It's a bit annoying to have to bring up the menu to see battery life.
Same goes for the page number...
Old 10-19-2009, 09:52 PM   #96
Toeknee
Enthusiast
Toeknee began at the beginning.

Device: Astak EZReader Pro
Quote:

I was having that problem. What ended up working for me is holding the the EXIT button (left half of the round button in the bottom right corner). If you hold it for a couple of seconds, it does appear to back out of every situation I have encountered which "feels" like a locked device scenario.

Hope it works for you.
Toeknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 12:28 AM   #97
wpeace
Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
Well I have found with a .mobi that my PP "locks up" for lack of a better phrase. Usually the issue occurs when first loading the book, or if the reader has been left alone for a few hours or in keyboard lock mode. They light flashes when pressing buttons but nothing happens. Holding the power turns the unit off without issue.

I have only had that issue when reading a .mobi that I made with Calibre (havent tested another .mobi) but other file formats I have used (both bought and converted by Calibre) havent caused me any grief.
For me it was a .pdf. I'm not sure what's causing the problem, but it's not happened in a while, shortly after I started downloading (ADE) library books.
Old 10-25-2009, 04:34 AM   #98
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:

<snip>

I just had the cold sweat breaking out, as my Mini didn't want to unlock and only gave beeps.

I had it locked without using it the whole day yesterday (this doesn't normally occur!) And when I wanted to unlock it this morning, only beeps. After about an hour on current from the wall socket, it suddenly rebooted. Pfeww....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Same goes for the page number...
The reason I'm reading mobipocket again is part because I like to see the battery life while reading (and page numbers) and the mobipocket reader does support that (luckily!)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 09:17 PM   #99
wpeace
Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I just had the cold sweat breaking out, as my Mini didn't want to unlock and only gave beeps.

I had it locked without using it the whole day yesterday (this doesn't normally occur!) And when I wanted to unlock it this morning, only beeps. After about an hour on current from the wall socket, it suddenly rebooted. Pfeww....

The reason I'm reading mobipocket again is part because I like to see the battery life while reading (and page numbers) and the mobipocket reader does support that (luckily!)
I'm starting to see this occur more often now any time I enable the keyboard lock and leave it idle for a period of time.

Different book format this time so I doubt if it's the book format. I have also seen it lock moving to the next page.

Actually holding down the power button for an extended period of time sends the device into a series of beeps which once released cause it to reboot. Once that happens I can restart and read until the next lock-up or power down.

Really odd think is once this happens a restart takes longer than normal, actually stopping during startup. Holding in the power button takes it immediately to the book list.
Old 10-29-2009, 01:14 PM   #100
oncdoc
Addict
oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle, pocket pro
i loaded a graphic intense pdf and hit too many buttons too quickely that caused a lock up.

with a faster processor i would think the pocket pro should handle any combination of button presses without lockup.

firmware needs more maturation.

i am running some funny chinese firmware btw.
oncdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 03:49 PM   #101
Joe999
Joe999 began at the beginning.

Device: Astak EZ-Reader Pocket Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe999 View Post
The batteries are currently only available from Astak (i checked the Jinke web page and they do not have one for the V5 only the V3). You have to call the Astak customer service number (1-866-368-8788) and do the order over the phone (their website does not currently have the option to buy the batteries). Cost was us $17.99 including shipping by USPS. They told me i could send back the original battery to have it replaced but i did not want to go thru the hassel. Additionally the batter is holding a slight charge so my mother is able to use her Reader for several hours before the battery dies. I did not want to deprive her of it while waiting for the new battery to arrive in the mail.

I have bought 3 of the PP 5" (2 as gifts) and so far only the one device has had any issues.
Just a follow-up. Since replacing the battery in my mothers PP she has not had any more problems with it. It they start up again i will post to let you guys know.

Additionally the batteries can now be ordered from the astak web site. Robert provided the links on a separate post.
Joe999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 04:21 PM   #102
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe999 View Post
Just a follow-up. Since replacing the battery in my mothers PP she has not had any more problems with it. It they start up again i will post to let you guys know.

Additionally the batteries can now be ordered from the astak web site. Robert provided the links on a separate post.

Wonderful!

Tags
help needed pocket pro