Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-02-2009, 10:37 AM   #1
strangeseraph
Connoisseur
strangeseraph will become famous soon enoughstrangeseraph will become famous soon enoughstrangeseraph will become famous soon enoughstrangeseraph will become famous soon enoughstrangeseraph will become famous soon enoughstrangeseraph will become famous soon enough

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
*Sigh* Sony Reader, or Wait for Canadian Kindle?

So there's the clincher. I like BOTH, from what I've seen of them. Both have their strengths and weaknesses.

Problem one: Kindle is not in Canada (yet?) though there's always rumours it will come eventually. I don't have a credit card so either way I'll have to use like, visa gift cards or something for purchasing books on the Amazon store. Anybody have positive experience with Visa gift cards?

Problem two: I could get a Sony so much sooner. I could get it here in town, we have a Sony store at the mall and I've seen Readers there. Soooo tempting. I like the red coloured version.

But everything I've read says that Kindle is a better reader. I dunno. I don't have an interest in the whispernet features.

But I'm a writer and putting my writing up on the kindle store would ROCK. What do you think? Should I wait in uncertainty for the Kindle, or get the Sony Reader? Or buy the Reader but get the Kindle if it comes out? I don't know.

strangeseraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:46 AM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
The Kindle isn't necessarily a better reader. It all depends on what you want in a reader. Personally, I wouldn't change my Reader for a Kindle for anything. I don't need wireless or dictionaries on my device. But some people love those features.

The biggest selling point for the Kindle really is the Whispernet, and if you don't need that I can't see why you would be disappointed with a Sony.

Not only that, but there's no information on when (if ever) the Kindle will come to Canada. I say go for it. And get the Red
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 11:25 AM   #3
sigma8
Zealot
sigma8 doesn't littersigma8 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Well, as far as the sheer act of reading goes, I don't think anyone would say the Kindle is a better reader. Both have virtually the same screen. Content is another story, of course. I'd ask yourself what kind of content you want, peruse the Amazon Kindle store, and then also check out the Sony store and/or third-party bookstores that sell eBooks. See what's available for free.

You can buy based on hardware, content, or a mix. IMO, Sony wins on hardware, and the Kindle wins on content. So you can either redraw the map or work with that one, and figure out where you are on it.
sigma8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 11:55 AM   #4
strangeseraph
Connoisseur
strangeseraph will become famous soon enoughstrangeseraph will become famous soon enoughstrangeseraph will become famous soon enoughstrangeseraph will become famous soon enoughstrangeseraph will become famous soon enoughstrangeseraph will become famous soon enough

Hahah, none of the stores have the ebook series I want. J. K. Rowling will not release her Harry Potter series as ebooks because she's worried about piracy.

I'll have another looksee at the Reader when I go down to the Sony store. Either with my income tax return when that gets done, or next month when I have a little more money.

Whee red!
Old 03-02-2009, 12:31 PM   #5
AbFabGab
Gadget-Luster
AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
If you like the Sony, get the Sony! : )
You could always sell it later, should you want to.

I'm not sure how the credit card thing works with Kindle.
I have heard it has to be a US based credit card..
not sure if the visa gift cards would work?
Maybe a Kindle person will chime in.
AbFabGab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 06:44 AM   #6
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by strangeseraph View Post
Problem two: I could get a Sony so much sooner. I could get it here in town, we have a Sony store at the mall and I've seen Readers there. Soooo tempting. I like the red coloured version.
Take the Sony. My reason? Simple.

The Kindle is Apple-white...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 07:05 AM   #7
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Definitely sounds like the Sony is the best choice for you. I don't expect the Kindle to be released internationally this year (although Canada could be the exception).

Quote:
But I'm a writer and putting my writing up on the kindle store would ROCK.
Does owning a Kindle give authors special privileges on the Kindle Store? I wasn't aware of this, can someone elaborate?
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 07:14 AM   #8
PieOPah
Addict
PieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Hahah, none of the stores have the ebook series I want. J. K. Rowling will not release her Harry Potter series as ebooks because she's worried about piracy.
Quite a stupid reason for not releasing a book in a specific format. Why did she allow the books to be made into movies? It is easier to pirate them and there would be a much bigger audience for the pirated movie than a pirated book!

Hell, if people want to get the HP Series in E-book format then it is readily available for anybody to download if they know where to look, so too late to worry about her books being pirated!

Surely she should release them for the extra revenue they would bring in (because she sure as hell could do with a few extra pennies in her pocket!). By not releasing them, she has forced people to create the pirated copies anyway.

I have books which I have scanned in because I am unable to buy them in the format I want (I don't distribute them and won't). Because the books are unavailable, I have been 'forced' to pirate them. Had they been available then I would have bought them (I asked publisher and was told that they would unlikely ever be distributed in E-book format although something they would look into in the future)!
PieOPah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:11 AM   #9
strangeseraph
Connoisseur

Well, I've decided on the Sony Reader, but the 505 or the 700? I realled liked the look of the red Sony reader, but is the 700 better? I don't want to choose my device based on colour alone.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:08 AM   #10
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Well, I've decided on the Sony Reader, but the 505 or the 700? I realled liked the look of the red Sony reader, but is the 700 better? I don't want to choose my device based on colour alone.
A lot of people have problems with the clarity of the screen (505 is much better). But it doesn't bother some people, and others also really enjoy the touch screen and faster page loads, as well as the annotation feature. But you really can't go wrong with the 505. I guess it depends on what you are planning to read.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:12 AM   #11
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
I was going to add that even as a Kindle owner (prefer both versions over the Sonys), I don't think you should wait for the Kindle to be available in Canada (an you're not).

Get your feet wet. The Sony is a great reader. There are a lot of even better readers coming up in the next 1-3 years and you may go in a completely different direction when they are released. In the meantime, you'll get a lot of enjoyable reading in.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:05 AM   #12
shighfield
Groupie!? GROUPIE!?!?
shighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enough

Device: EBW 1150, Kobo Touch
I was very happy with the PRS700. The screen didn't bother me and I found it a step up from the LCD on my EBW1150. It reads PDF beautifully and is fast, and the side lights are great for reading at night.

Having said that. If I had to do it again I'd buy the 505. My 700 has been at SOny for repair for over a month now. The 505 doesn't seem to have the dust issues, plus everyone raves about the screen.
shighfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 01:14 PM   #13
sigma8
Zealot
sigma8 doesn't littersigma8 doesn't litter

Yeah. I think Sony would actually sell more 700's if they didn't have the 505 sitting right next to them in stores. But, I guess it's good they do, otherwise people might feel a bit tricked. The 700 is definitely a nice machine in every other respect. One thing I hate about the 505 is navigating links in a document. Ack. So slow. Touch would be so nice.
sigma8 is offline   Reply With Quote