Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 01-22-2009, 08:07 AM   #1
PieOPah
Addict
PieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505
Footnotes

I am currently editing a book which has a large number of footnotes.

I am editing the document in MS Word. I have all the footnotes at the end of the document. Each note is bookmarked and then the relating number is hyperlinked to point to the bookmark.

Whilst navigating through the document, this works with no problems, jumping to the correct footnote.

When I convert to LRF however, I seem to lose the 'accuracy'. Basically, the footnotes span several pages, but whichever hyperlink I select, I am only ever taken to the first page of footnotes rather than the page which has the relevant info.

Could somebody please advise me on how to get these footnotes working correctly within my lrf document?

Many thanks,
PieOPah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 08:11 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I don't know how Word does it, but footnotes (or, to be more correct, endnotes) work just fine if implemented as standard HTML hyperlinks. Might be worthwhile exporting the Word doc as HTML and seeing how Word is handling the link.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 08:12 AM   #3
PieOPah
Addict
PieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-books

Thanks,

I'll give that a try

Edit: Well, I have converted it to HTML and this works fine now. The only problem is that all of the formatting looks horrible I'll have to have a play to see where I've gone wrong...

Thanks for the tip

Last edited by PieOPah; 01-22-2009 at 08:22 AM.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:48 AM   #4
PieOPah
Addict

While using HTML and then converting fixed the problem, it did make the layout of the whole book look horrible (using Calibre to convert) and I couldn't work out how to fix this.

So, I have put each footnote on a separate page. This has fixed the problem...
Old 01-22-2009, 08:55 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
When you are dealing with reflowable documents such as most eBooks, you'll find that footnotes do not work well at all. The solution to the problem is to use endnotes with a seperate note on it's own page. This is how the Discworld novels do it in eBook form and it works quite well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 09:01 AM   #6
PieOPah
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The solution to the problem is to use endnotes with a seperate note on it's own page.
See above post

Thank you anyway...

I am currently reading a Robert Rankin book which has a number of footnotes. All of these are on the same page which is why I couldn't understand the problem in the first place.

Still, I am happy that it is fixed - plus having the footnotes on a separate page means the next one isn't being accidentally read!