Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-07-2013, 03:30 PM   #1
JAcheson
Tech Writer
JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Nook Color, Nook Simple Touch, Vizio Tablet, Nexus 10
Vizio Announces Windows 8 Tablet

Vizio Windows 8 Tablet PC Hands-On (Engadget)

It has a 1080P screen, and uses a dual-core 1GHz AMD Z60 APU.

It appears to be a full Windows 8 tablet, not Windows 8 RT.

So far, I am not seeing any mention of a new Android tablet from Vizio. It appears this has taken its place. I find that disappointing.
JAcheson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:36 PM   #2
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAcheson View Post
So far, I am not seeing any mention of a new Android tablet from Vizio. It appears this has taken its place. I find that disappointing.
They probably don't think Android is capable of doing serious business.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:05 PM   #3
JAcheson
Tech Writer
JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
They probably don't think Android is capable of doing serious business.
It's quite possible they didn't make the kind of money they wanted to on their 8" Android tablet. Windows 8 isn't setting the world on fire either, though.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:50 PM   #4
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
It's quite possible they didn't make the kind of money they wanted to on their 8" Android tablet. Windows 8 isn't setting the world on fire either, though.
Well, that's true too. There's a ton of Android tablet makers out there, and very few truly unique ones. Asus has one with its dockable keyboard, but that's one of the few.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:21 PM   #5
JAcheson
Tech Writer

Looks like Vizio announced a 10" Android tablet as well. The Verge has the story:

Vizio's 10-inch tablet combines Tegra 4, stock Android, and an ultra-light body (hands-on)
Old 01-07-2013, 09:02 PM   #6
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Nobody is crazy enough to bet everything on one system.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:10 AM   #7
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Nice screen resolution!
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:31 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Windows 8 Pro devices have only been shipping for a few weeks - it's a bit early to judge their success. Friend of mine's just bought a Win8 desktop from Dell and loves it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:18 AM   #9
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
I was very tempted to buy their original release as I have a Vizio TV but did not. I don't think their android tablet sold very well, but I'm just guessing.

I'm interested in this move by them, but am not very interested in Win 8.... Meh.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:26 AM   #10
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
Strangely, I was very interested in windows 8 tablets before they were released. I wanted to replace my old laptop with a tablet. But the reviews have given me enough indication that it is not the time yet . I am going to use the laptop until it dies on me.
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:56 AM   #11
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Does anyone like Windows 8 ?

I downloaded a copy onto my Laptop for a while - and I found it horrendous; mind that was one of the betas and they may have taken commentary on-board. The 'front-end' remains a horror, I would have thought, for company use - seems too much tailored for tablets/phones than PCs ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:48 AM   #12
JAcheson
Tech Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
Does anyone like Windows 8 ?

I downloaded a copy onto my Laptop for a while - and I found it horrendous; mind that was one of the betas and they may have taken commentary on-board. The 'front-end' remains a horror, I would have thought, for company use - seems too much tailored for tablets/phones than PCs ....
I had a similar experience: went into it optimistically thanks to the good advance word of mouth, but absolutely loathed the "Metro" interface.

The good news is, you can pretty much ignore Metro, and get your business done in the desktop mode, but on the other hand, you can also stay with Windows 7 and get the same result.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:35 PM   #13
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
I've had my Samsung ATIV Smart PC 500T for about a month now. It’s an 11.6” Windows 8 (x86) tablet with a dual core Intel Atom CPU, 2 GB RAM and 64 GB SSD; and I’ve added a 64 GB micro SD card. The resolution is not as high as the purported Visio, but otherwise the specs are very similar.

After a month of use, my experience is very favorable. It’s a bit on the large size, but if it were any smaller my ancient eyeballs would have difficulty reading the screen, especially in the desktop (as opposed to the new (Metro) style UI). But then I have large hands, so it’s not much of a burden.

I find myself running it mostly in desktop mode, as most of my software is legacy windows rather than the newer RT apps. And even when both RT and x86 versions are available; for instance Internet Explorer, and Outlook vs. Mail/Calendar/Contacts etc. the x86 version is very much more capable. I believe I would not be satisfied with a ARM powered Windows RT tablet.

The Tablet does not have 3G/4G connectivity, but I have an old EVO 4G smartphone on Sprint with an unlimited data plan, so I loaded up FoxFi on the EVO and tether the ATIV with Bluetooth. It works well with a minimum of hassle.

I bought it from Best Buy, the day after Amazon dropped the price to $599. Best Buy price matched Amazon, so I got it for $100 off their regular price; I was quite happy about that.

My Win 8 experience has been generally positive, as with any Windows version change there is a bit of a learning curve, but I have been able to figure out how to do most things with a bit of hunting a pecking. There is, however a bit of a problem with peripheral drivers. I expect peripheral manufacturers to slowly catch up as happened with Vista, but at this point I have things that just don’t work. Most notably the scanner feature of my MFP, and my Livescribe Smartpen.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:38 PM   #14
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Love your sig, so true.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:44 PM   #15
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Oh, did I mention the battery life? It's basically phenomenal! I can easily get 10 hours out of it, and even with the EVO plugged in to the USB port to keep it charged up it still easily lasts a full work day.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote