Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Does lack of SD card support effect you're buying of the Nexus 7?
Yes, I'm not buying because of this. 101 41.91%
No, not a problem at all. 61 25.31%
I'm buying the 16GB because of this. 34 14.11%
I'm not in the market for a tablet, but I like to vote. 45 18.67%
Voters: 241. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-16-2012, 12:00 PM   #331
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Spoiler:
Now, if that came as a MicroSD....
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:03 PM   #332
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Now, if that came as a MicroSD....
Heat generation's probably a limiting factor for microSD, due to its much smaller size.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:03 PM   #333
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
OK. My Galaxy Tab 2 specifies "up to 32GB", but I haven't tried using an XC card in it.
If you have Ice Cream Sandwich on it then it can probably handle XC. I think that the physical and electrical interfaces are the same as SDHC, but new drivers would be needed to handle the new data structures that XC uses to utilize the larger address space.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:06 PM   #334
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
If you have Ice Cream Sandwich on it then it can probably handle XC. I think that the physical and electrical interfaces are the same as SDHC, but new drivers would be needed to handle the new data structures that XC uses to utilize the larger address space.
Yes, I've got ICS. Thanks for the info - if 64GB cards fall to a reasonable price I might pick one up and see how well it works. For the moment, 32GB is all I need, so I've no particular incentive to do so.

Appreciate the help - thanks.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:12 PM   #335
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes, I've got ICS. Thanks for the info - if 64GB cards fall to a reasonable price I might pick one up and see how well it works. For the moment, 32GB is all I need, so I've no particular incentive to do so.

Appreciate the help - thanks.
Ahh, heat. That is a problem.
As for 64GB cards, they can be had for €60 - 70 depending on card and outlet.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:15 PM   #336
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Ahh, heat. That is a problem.
As for 64GB cards, they can be had for €60 - 70 depending on card and outlet.
They're still generally over twice the price of 32GB cards - or at least they were when I last looked.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:18 PM   #337
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Quote:
They're still generally over twice the price of 32GB cards - or at least they were when I last looked.
My point was that they have begun to come down in price significantly, they are less than half of what they were just a month or so ago.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:20 PM   #338
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
My point was that they have begun to come down in price significantly, they are less than half of what they were just a month or so ago.
I need to look at the prices again, if that's the case. Thanks! I could do with a 64GB card for my camera, which eats up card space for HD video.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:21 PM   #339
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

I was under the impression we were talking about MicroSD cards.
If you want a regular SD card for your camera they're even cheaper.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:22 PM   #340
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
I was under the impression we were talking about MicroSD cards.
We were. Sorry to confuse the issue.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:16 AM   #341
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
NO problem here. . .

I'm seriously thinking about it. My Prs350 doesn't have an SD card slot, and I get along just fine without it.

Also, don't forget the whole Google approach has really emphasized the the connectivity aspect of computing. I think Google's vision is that of a great display and calculating device with modest storage, connected to hard drives via the internet (or if you MUST, storage that Google can't control!). It's that whole 'cloud' thing. They are doing it with productivity, entertainment, you name it. And many of their free apps of this type are as good as the 'paid for' apps.

The approach for entertainment and other assets are stored on either Googles hard drives, or some other storage media and the inherent connectivity of the device and a good internet connection allows you to have virtually unlimited storage.

At first, I wasn't too enthusiastic over this approach, but I've been involved in SalesForce at work (A Cloud based Customer Relationship Management system - enhanced to be pretty much a complete cloud database development system). I think it works pretty well.

Also, we are already sort of doing it any way! Amazon is kind of doing it for my android phone and I assume the same for all reading devices. The purchased books seem to be in a 'library' somewhere on Amazon's servers. But the app in my Droid displays the books I 'own' (a pleasant fiction I can't seem to give up!). If I want to read something, I select it, and it opens almost immediately, it downloads the book as I start to read it. At any rate, the book is then actually residing in the 'library' and on the phone, when I am done with it, I can keep it on the phone, move it to my PC, or delete it at my discretion, since I am always free to download it again.

The need to store and organize books is much simpler for the casual reader, and not any worse for the well organized Calibre user. No, I'd say I am moderately pleased with this methodology and I no longer have to worry about space management on the display device so much.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:25 AM   #342
StoryEnthusiast
K. C. Lee
StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone
128G on an SD card is just mind boggling! I'm still using 1G SD cards.
StoryEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:54 AM   #343
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
The approach for entertainment and other assets are stored on either Googles hard drives, or some other storage media and the inherent connectivity of the device and a good internet connection allows you to have virtually unlimited storage.
That net connection is also the cloud's major weakness for portable devices. It becomes a deal breaker for many.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:10 AM   #344
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
That net connection is also the cloud's major weakness for portable devices. It becomes a deal breaker for many.
Again, you have eaten from the banana tree of truth, monkey guy. Wisdom pours from your high perch in the tree.

The real elephant in the room is that "net connection." It is the elephant that will break the bridge from us to our trove of valuable data. Indeed the bridge that might take us from the stifling city to the wild jungle and a heaven of fruit.

The weight(cost) of that elephant grows day by day. It is in the elephant's nature, and it is the nature of the network providers to set that weight on our(the users) shoulders as we scurry to and fro across that bridge.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:47 AM   #345
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
Again, you have eaten from the banana tree of truth, monkey guy. Wisdom pours from your high perch in the tree.
I have lofty company

Spoiler:
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote