Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-19-2011, 01:23 AM   #121
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggleton
I've actually thought about it a bit more and would like a mind interface to my ereader so that it simply knows when to refresh the screen.
See, now you're talking my language!
Wake me up when we're past this whole tactile, motor-skills input/interface hooey.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 05:20 AM   #122
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggleton View Post
I've actually thought about it a bit more and would like a mind interface to my ereader so that it simply knows when to refresh the screen.
Mind-reading might be a way off, but I suspect that the technology exists now to create an app for a mobile device that could watch the position of your eyes with its front-facing camera, and turn the page when you get to the bottom.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 06:53 AM   #123
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin
Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 and 2 Kindle 3's - and now a K4 + HTC Desire HD
You Fickle Scion ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Bye, bye NOOKtouch. Keeping my Kobo though. Might have to get rid of the NOOKcolor as well. Can't wait!!! Been envious of you guys with Whispersync.
Kevin2960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 01:02 PM   #124
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin2960 View Post
You Fickle Scion ....
It's not my fault more suitable choices present themselves
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 12:31 AM   #125
Ditchleyportrait
Fanatic
Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
i'm ambivalent about this news. i'd rather own an amazon tablet than an apple tablet computer, but this sort of flies in the face of their flagship brand, the kindle.

eye strain, eye strain, eye strain. i'm limiting my computer time now, because eye strain is a very serious problem for me.

as long as i have my e-ink reader, i'm happy for this tablet affair.

however, i hope e-ink grows to maybe replace lcd or crt monitors someday. eye strain sucks!
Ditchleyportrait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 12:37 AM   #126
L.J. Sellers
Novelist
L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
A little more information about the coming Kindle tablet.

http://www.csmonitor.com/Innovation/...nd-iPad-report
L.J. Sellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 03:25 AM   #127
joenunya
Banned
joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle4pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchleyportrait View Post
i'm ambivalent about this news. i'd rather own an amazon tablet than an apple tablet computer, but this sort of flies in the face of their flagship brand, the kindle.

eye strain, eye strain, eye strain. i'm limiting my computer time now, because eye strain is a very serious problem for me.

as long as i have my e-ink reader, i'm happy for this tablet affair.

however, i hope e-ink grows to maybe replace lcd or crt monitors someday. eye strain sucks!
Then stop buying the cheapest LCD on the shelf when you buy a computer. Not trying to be mean there but people complain about eye strain are almost always using the worst LCD display that the manufacturer could get away with including or installing in the system you buy.

Two things you use more than anything else and those are the keyboard and the display (and yes I know there are mice and those matter also). Both are extremely important to healthy computing but people always cheap out when selecting or evaluating their computer.

Research what the best displays are, spend a good $300-$400 or so on the best you can find in the size you need, calibrate it or have it calibrated, learn how to adjust the brightness off of something other and maximum and I am willing to bet your eye strain will magically disappear.

There really is a difference between LCD's built for users who will be on them 8-14hrs/day every day and the crappy displays included as standard with 99% of the off-the-shelf systems out there. It's a shame but when most people shop for the best deal they can easily overlook a good display.
joenunya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 05:43 PM   #128
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by joenunya View Post
Research what the best displays are, spend a good $300-$400 or so on the best you can find in the size you need, calibrate it or have it calibrated, learn how to adjust the brightness off of something other and maximum and I am willing to bet your eye strain will magically disappear.
Sounds reasonable. What exactly is the science behind that? Just curious.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:49 PM   #129
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:

You would lose that bet with me. I tried everything. For 3 months I put the e-ink away. A few days after I started reusing my reader my eyes felt a lot better. And I do read a lot on high quality LCDs. But e-ink is just more comfortable for a lot of people, you can't argue that away. Some have more sensitive eyes, it is not a myth. I am not trying to convince you to use it, stay with whatever works for you. For many it is e-ink.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 05:38 PM   #130
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin
Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 and 2 Kindle 3's - and now a K4 + HTC Desire HD
I should have married you Scion ... Buying new eReaders every month ... the PERFECT wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
It's not my fault more suitable choices present themselves
Kevin2960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 06:13 PM   #131
Ditchleyportrait
Fanatic
Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
Quote:
Then stop buying the cheapest LCD on the shelf when you buy a computer. Not trying to be mean there but people complain about eye strain are almost always using the worst LCD display that the manufacturer could get away with including or installing in the system you buy.

Two things you use more than anything else and those are the keyboard and the display (and yes I know there are mice and those matter also). Both are extremely important to healthy computing but people always cheap out when selecting or evaluating their computer.

There really is a difference between LCD's built for users who will be on them 8-14hrs/day every day and the crappy displays included as standard with 99% of the off-the-shelf systems out there. It's a shame but when most people shop for the best deal they can easily overlook a good display.
that's interesting you say that. i'm on this huge mac at this college over here. giant screen. anyway i have noticeably 0 eye strain. the thing is a thousand times better and less bright and has more clarity than the glowing thing i've been using at home.
Ditchleyportrait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 01:56 AM   #132
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggleton View Post
I must say that having not used a touchscreen ereader, I cannot offer an opinion as to the validity of their functionality, specifically regarding dirty screens. What I would like on my Kindle is just for the page turn buttons to be replaced by a little touchpad that I can swipe up or down to flow the text. I don't know if that would work either, I suppose there would be inadvertent swipes perhaps?
You don't need a touch based K3 to test out how the screen handles fingerprints. Just touch, tap, & swipe the screen like it was a touch. You'll find out about fingerprints. The K3 screen is the same as the other touchscreen just no IR to allow touching to work.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:00 AM   #133
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Thanks for telling me that they way I'd prefer it to work is wrong ('cause it's not like I've tried it both ways or anything). I'll sleep better knowing that.

Not everyone is going to want things the same. But for the people who are complaining about fingerprints before have really used an IR touch reader, swiping will show less fingerprints then a tap. I'm not saying a tap to change the page is wrong. I'm saying a swipe shows less fingerprints and for a lot of people, that's good for them.
Old 07-22-2011, 02:04 AM   #134
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.J. Sellers View Post
A little more information about the coming Kindle tablet.

http://www.csmonitor.com/Innovation/...nd-iPad-report
The topic of the article is incorrect.

Quote:
Amazon tablets mix best of Kindle and iPad: report
Unless the tablet will be eink, it will not be mixing the best of Kindle.
Old 07-22-2011, 02:07 AM   #135
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
You would lose that bet with me. I tried everything. For 3 months I put the e-ink away. A few days after I started reusing my reader my eyes felt a lot better. And I do read a lot on high quality LCDs. But e-ink is just more comfortable for a lot of people, you can't argue that away. Some have more sensitive eyes, it is not a myth. I am not trying to convince you to use it, stay with whatever works for you. For many it is e-ink.
But have you adjusted your computer monitor? Sometimes it's not the monitor that's the issue, but the settings. A lot of time they come set to almost full brightness and some of these other settings they have to make the colors pop out at you are not good as all they do it tweak the monitor to make them even brighter.

Tags
amazon, kindle, tablet, touch