Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-30-2011, 12:12 PM   #1
outlander78
Zealot
outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Arc 7
Westerns?

One genre I have never read is the classic western. I gather they sat alongside pulp and mystery novels for decades, but unlike the other two, I can't find a good way to get into western novels. Can you suggest some good ones, please - either authors or titles to look for? Perhaps even a publisher similar to Hard Case Crime, but for the western genre?

thank you,
Andrew
outlander78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 12:39 PM   #2
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlander78 View Post
One genre I have never read is the classic western. I gather they sat alongside pulp and mystery novels for decades, but unlike the other two, I can't find a good way to get into western novels. Can you suggest some good ones, please - either authors or titles to look for? Perhaps even a publisher similar to Hard Case Crime, but for the western genre?

thank you,
Andrew
Zane Grey and Louis L'Amour are generally regarded as the masters of the genre.

One book I read lately and hugely enjoyed was 'Log of a Cowboy' by Andy Adams. Adams actually was a cowboy, and writes from experience.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 01:17 PM   #3
outlander78
Zealot
outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Arc 7
Thank you - I'll check them out.
outlander78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 01:20 PM   #4
Kiwimick
Addict
Kiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five words

Device: Sony PRS650
J T Edson and his Dusty Fog series is worth checking out as well
Kiwimick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 01:38 PM   #5
benham
Guru
benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, PRS-505 (BLUE)
Louis L'Amour is the consummate Western writer. Every place he wrote about, he had either been to or knew through his conversations with old-timers that it existed at the time of the story. He painted with words. Pick any book. My first was Comstock Load and still one of my favorites. It's a longer one, though. Haunted Mesa is more modern day. It is a very good book, but not one you would choose if you want to see if you like the genre.

Kiwi, thanks for the heads up on the JT Edson.
benham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 01:58 PM   #6
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Andrew, I believe that the first western best seller was The Virginian by Owen Wister, published in 1902.

I suggest you start with that one.

Among modern authors, I can recommend Elmore Leonard.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 02:12 PM   #7
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
You might also be interested in our discussion of Riders of the Purple Sage by Zane Grey
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 02:17 PM   #8
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
You might also be interested in our discussion of Riders of the Purple Sage by Zane Grey
That book seems to be universally loved amongst Western readers. It comes up every time I ask for a good place to start reading Westerns myself. I should get around to it soon.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 02:20 PM   #9
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterBooks View Post
That book seems to be universally loved amongst Western readers. It comes up every time I ask for a good place to start reading Westerns myself. I should get around to it soon.
You'll see from our discussion thread that it has some major flaws, but that it is still a generally enjoyable read. I am certainly glad that I got round to finally reading it - at least I know what the fuss is all about .
Old 05-30-2011, 03:11 PM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I love the classic stuff, too, but don't overlook some of the fantastic more recent works either. Robert B. Parker's (of Spencer fame) westerns starring Vigil Cole and Everett Hitch are excellent (Appaloosa, Resolution and Brimstone). I can also recommend James D. Best's Steve Dancy stories. The first book (The Shopkeeper) is available for $4.99 - $5.99 pretty much anywhere ebooks are sold.

I'd also feel remiss if I didn't mention Larry McMurtry's Lonesome Dove.

Blue Heaven by C.J. Box is a modern day thriller with a classic western subplot that might serve as a nice transition from crime/mystery to westerns.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 05:04 PM   #11
orlok
Close to the Edit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I love the classic stuff, too, but don't overlook some of the fantastic more recent works either. Robert B. Parker's (of Spencer fame) westerns starring Vigil Cole and Everett Hitch are excellent (Appaloosa, Resolution and Brimstone).
My favourite author of all time .
Old 05-31-2011, 04:35 AM   #12
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
*Lonesome Dove* is by far my favourite ever western novel, Outlander. Must have read it half a dozen times. I did see the TV series and it was excellent, but no movie could ever do justice to the book itself. Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:53 AM   #13
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I never read the "pulp" westerns much but I remember seeing Louis L'amour, Max Brand, Luke Short and Ray Hogan on the paperback shelves.

Larry McMurtry is a favorite of mine and a step above the standard western fare.

Also check our Dorothy Johnson's short stories (The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, A Man Called Horse), Thomas Berger's Little Big Man, The Ox-bow Incident by Walter van Tilburg Clark, Shane by Jack Schaeffer, and The Way West by A.B. Guthrie.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:46 AM   #14
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Of all of those so far, Shane is the only one I've read. I studied it in high school and I can remember really enjoying it.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:26 AM   #15
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Also Zane Grey's _The Lone Star Ranger_:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99817

(said to be the inspiration for _The Lone Ranger_, but don't hold that against it)

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote