Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-20-2008, 03:03 PM   #1
t_rectenwald
t_rectenwald began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen Cybook G3
Kindle Power

I'm having a strange issue with my Kindle and was wondering if others have experienced this. There are two issues actually, that are most likely related:

1) My Kindle battery drains even when the device is powered off (both power and wireless). The drain is not huge, but noticeable.
2) The Kindle will, at seemingly random times, power on while charging. I.e. screen is on, but power/wireless switches are off. Even when disconnected from the charger, it remains "on."

So, I sit here looking at a fully functional powered on Kindle, with the power switch off!!! It is crazy. Has anyone seen this? Perhaps this is a defective unit.

Thanks,
Tom
t_rectenwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 03:11 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I've seen this twice, both after I happened to run down my battery. The power switch doesn't actually cut power to the Kindle. Instead, it behaves much the same as the power button on your PC. The downside is that some part of your Kindle is indeed on when the Kindle is supposedly off.

Since your problem is persistent, I think your Kindle is in some way defective.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 03:32 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by t_rectenwald View Post
The Kindle will, at seemingly random times, power on while charging. I.e. screen is on, but power/wireless switches are off. Even when disconnected from the charger, it remains "on."
After you disconnect from the charger (or even before), is the Kindle responsive to key presses (with the switches off)? I ask because no power is required to maintain the screen "on", and this is not what we are used to from powered devices. For example, when an E-Ink device "hangs" the last image stays on the screen. So, something is causing the image to appear - but once it is there it isn't surprising that it stays there.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 09:35 PM   #4
t_rectenwald
t_rectenwald began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen Cybook G3
Yes, the Kindle is completely responsive. The device is, for all intensive purposes "on" and functioning normally, even though the physical switch is off. Good to know another has seen this happen. Something remains on in the Kindle, draining the battery even when the switch is off.

I'll open a ticket with Amazon and post the results here.

Thanks,
Tom
t_rectenwald is offline   Reply With Quote