Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 11-29-2010, 02:33 PM   #1
slainte
Zealot
slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
samsung galaxy tab or archos or advent

I had finally decided to invest in the samsung galaxy tab as I really like the size and I want a device I can read books and browse the internet on. Then I read a review and discover it does not have a USB port which I thought it had. It was the lack of the usb port that put me off the IPAD. How can I transfer across all my books without a usb port and without doing individually through internet?

I have seen the advent vega advertised and this has a usb port but havent read much about it and also the archos 70.

Please advise

Thanks
slainte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 12:56 PM   #2
darrellstaley
darrellstaley doesn't litterdarrellstaley doesn't litter

Device: Archos 70 Internet tablet, Droid X
See my reply with comments on Archos in E-book readers forum...
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=109500

Darrell
darrellstaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2010, 10:43 AM   #3
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony Xperia Tablet Z, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Lenovo Yoga 8, IPad 3
Nook Color over all of them.
ColdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 06:15 AM   #4
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdSun View Post
Why?
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 12:21 AM   #5
pyatrus
Enthusiast
pyatrus shares his or her toyspyatrus shares his or her toyspyatrus shares his or her toyspyatrus shares his or her toyspyatrus shares his or her toyspyatrus shares his or her toyspyatrus shares his or her toyspyatrus shares his or her toyspyatrus shares his or her toyspyatrus shares his or her toyspyatrus shares his or her toys

Device: Nexus 7 (2013); Sony PRS-505; Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by slainte View Post
I had finally decided to invest in the samsung galaxy tab as I really like the size and I want a device I can read books and browse the internet on. Then I read a review and discover it does not have a USB port which I thought it had. It was the lack of the usb port that put me off the IPAD. How can I transfer across all my books without a usb port and without doing individually through internet?
I have seen the advent vega advertised and this has a usb port but havent read much about it and also the archos 70.
Please advise
Thanks
I bought the Samsung Galaxy Tab on the day it became available on T-Mobile (11/10) and I am VERY happy with it. (And I know others who love their iPads, etc., as well). Choice IS a good thing!

BUT, I also own a Sony PRS-505 dedicated e-book reader that I am also VERY happy with (1200 items on it, mostly from MR Thank you!), and I also own a Sony Video Walkman for audio books that I also am VERY happy with.

The Samsung Galaxy Tab (SGT) has wireless as well as mobile broadband (the latter for a fee of course) but you can download a lot with the Android ebook readers that access several Internet ebook libraries thru the OPDS Internet Library format.

Also, the SGT has a microSD slot (up to 32 GB), and you can buy a USB type holder for it to plug it into, fill it up on another computer, then put it back into the SGT (I have a 16 GB, since the 32 GBs are not priced competitively yet.

So. What are your needs, your budget, etc.? The SGT is a great device, but there are lots of choices out there!
pyatrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2010, 01:55 PM   #6
slainte
Zealot
slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Have just ordered the samsung galaxy tab - hope it lives up to my expectations!
Old 12-06-2010, 05:05 PM   #7
Yoshi 1080
Addict
Yoshi 1080 doesn't litterYoshi 1080 doesn't litterYoshi 1080 doesn't litter

Device: iPad, iPhone, Mac
I usually use Dropbox to transfer files from and on my iPad wirelessly – I don’t see why this shouldn’t be possible with the Galaxy Tab, too.
Yoshi 1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 04:23 PM   #8
slainte
Zealot

re dropbox have done that with the samsung tab for book so that is the answer
Old 12-10-2010, 10:05 AM   #9
Kai Winters
Lover of Books
Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+
What reader formats with the Galaxy handle?
I played with one a couple of days ago and loved it but it only had the Kindle app and no books dl'd so I could not use the reader.

I have a Sony 300 reader and would love to use the Galaxy for the books I have in my Sony library but they are in epub format and/or Sony drm so I don't think that is an option.
Kai Winters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 03:39 AM   #10
metal1369
Enthusiast
metal1369 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermetal1369 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermetal1369 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermetal1369 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermetal1369 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermetal1369 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermetal1369 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermetal1369 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermetal1369 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermetal1369 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermetal1369 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 7" wifi
Quote:
can you elaborate please. thank you
metal1369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 04:59 AM   #11
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Given advice such as this, the original poster should probably clarify what country they are in as obviously the nook is limited to north america (usa only?)
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 02:37 PM   #12
slainte
Zealot

I have just put epub books on it and they read fine. Not sure what other formats you can use but as I have the sony 505 most of my books are in epub anyway. I am using dropbox to put the books on it and that works fine. I am really happy with it so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Winters View Post
What reader formats with the Galaxy handle?
I played with one a couple of days ago and loved it but it only had the Kindle app and no books dl'd so I could not use the reader.

I have a Sony 300 reader and would love to use the Galaxy for the books I have in my Sony library but they are in epub format and/or Sony drm so I don't think that is an option.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:30 AM   #13
Kai Winters
Lover of Books
Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+
Thanks slainte.
Kai Winters is offline   Reply With Quote