Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 03-16-2010, 10:24 AM   #1
DougFNJ
Avid Reader
DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature, 2TB iPad Pro 11”
Will my Sony DRM'ed Epubs work on iPad?

I am considering the move.....that would seal the deal.....will the Epubs that I bought on my Sony Reader work on the iPad?
DougFNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 10:26 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
To the best of my knowledge, there is no App for reading DRM-protected ePub books available.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2010, 10:33 AM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
To the best of my knowledge, there is no App for reading DRM-protected ePub books available.
Are you sure. I thought the Kobo books app used Adobe DRM?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 10:48 AM   #4
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougFNJ View Post
I am considering the move.....that would seal the deal.....will the Epubs that I bought on my Sony Reader work on the iPad?
Not with Apple iBook (rha iBook is a laptop not a liseuse!!!!!) since they use their own DRM scheme (FairPlay) and nor Adobe's one (ADEPT)

No one is really sure for now, but that the more plausible way.
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 10:50 AM   #5
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Probably not since you can't read a DRM'd Sony epub in Stanza or any other reader software that supports epub.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2010, 10:51 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Are you sure. I thought the Kobo books app used Adobe DRM?

BOb
I did say "to the best of my knowledge". If my knowledge is flawed, then I'm delighted to be put right .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 10:52 AM   #7
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzil View Post
Not with Apple iBook (rha iBook is a laptop not a liseuse!!!!!) since they use their own DRM scheme (FairPlay) and nor Adobe's one (ADEPT)
You can read non-DRM'd epubs in iBooks but not DRM'd books from Sony/B&N/etc.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:11 AM   #8
thechansen
thechansen began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Quote:
I am more than likely jumping ship on Sony soon. My 505 had a good run but I doubt the Sony store will last. My choices were the kindle and iPad (well I was getting an ipad anyway, but as an ereader now). I WILL NOT tell you how to do it but I can assure you, all of my ebooks purchased through Sony are on my iPhone as we speak, resting quite nicely in the Stanza app, just waiting to be transfered into the iBook app on the iPad. Reason for me going ipad: the three biggest stores, all on one reader. Barnes and Noble has an ipad app coming, amazon has the iPhone app so it would make sense for an ipad version, and just like how iTunes took over music downloads, I can see the iBook store blowing up.

Last edited by thechansen; 03-16-2010 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Forget to put in why I was switching.
thechansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 11:26 AM   #9
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
Of course, I was speaking only for DRMed files
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 12:58 PM   #10
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
You have to remove the DRM -- and you can google for solutions. I haven't any Sony books, but I have a "friend" who removed the DRM from his Kindle books to read on Stanza now, and the iPad book app later.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 01:59 PM   #11
jes1
Zealot
jes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enough

Device: Astak EZReader, Dell Axim x50v, iPod Touch, nook
I'm not sure if TXTR will have an app for the iPad, but I put my drm'd Sony epubs on my iPod Touch using TXTR. I'm not overly fond of the app, but at least I can now read those books, too.
jes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 02:05 PM   #12
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
You have to remove the DRM -- and you can google for solutions. I haven't any Sony books, but I have a "friend" who removed the DRM from his Kindle books to read on Stanza now, and the iPad book app later.

Lee
Yep, just drm free those books. Just finished removing drm on my fictionwise .pdb books. All in anticipation of using the converted epub with ibooks.
foghat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 03:24 PM   #13
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
B&N is coming out with their own iPad app as is Amazon -- so you will be able to read their books. Of course, you can start by running the same iPhone apps that already exist if the new iPad specific versions aren't ready by launch.

I've never tried to ready a sony formatted book, so I don't know if there is such an app.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 03:47 PM   #14
Tamara
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
B&N is coming out with their own iPad app as is Amazon -- so you will be able to read their books. Of course, you can start by running the same iPhone apps that already exist if the new iPad specific versions aren't ready by launch.

I've never tried to ready a sony formatted book, so I don't know if there is such an app.

Lee
Not in the iBooks app though. There are no apps for the iPhone that will read a Sony formatted book.
Old 03-16-2010, 03:50 PM   #15
deltop
Zealot
deltop doesn't litterdeltop doesn't litterdeltop doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Not in the iBooks app though. There are no apps for the iPhone that will read a Sony formatted book.
Well the op refers to drm'ed epubs (not lrf) which DO work via the txtr app on the iPhone.

AFAIK the txtr app is the only iphone app which supports adobe drm. And it displays those fine.

Txtr announced back when the iPad was first launched that they would be working on an iPad app.
deltop is offline   Reply With Quote