Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-19-2017, 06:19 AM   #1231
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
In general, on the reader UI, go to Library/Books. Towards the upper right you will see "Page X of Y". Multiply the number of books in the first page by Y; this will give you a rough number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulvro View Post
Hi John,

Your reply amazes me a bit. Because I literally described step by step exactly what I did. It took a lot of space to do so but I did it in order to avoid the confusion that you now speak of. I told exactly step by step what I did and what assumptions it was based upon.

Sometimes less is more, especially when mixing opinions with requests for help?

With your step by step, you ended with:

Quote:
... how does one know if one has put in several hunderds of books without being foreced to meticulously count them all one by one?
If you use the steps I suggested you can get an exact count of the books on the reader; you do not need to count them one by one.*

Also, on the "old" home screen, when you side load books, a tile appears on the home screen saying how many ebooks were added; I don't know what the new home screen does.

* You can get to the last page by swiping backwards on page one** (you can also click on the "of" and enter the last page number). You may also need to apply some UI filters. To see the number of books sideloaded in a session:

1) use the steps I outlined to get the current count, call it A
2) sideload your books
3) Again use the steps I outlined to get the new count, call it B

The number of new sideloaded books is B - A.

** I am using an older firmware.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 07:55 AM   #1232
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Hi John,

Your reply amazes me a bit. Because I literally described step by step exactly what I did. It took a lot of space to do so but I did it in order to avoid the confusion that you now speak of. I told exactly step by step what I did and what assumptions it was based upon.
If you want to see how many books there are on your device, tap the three dots are the top-right of the book list. Then select "Manage downloads". That shows the number of books on the device in a few categories. This is also available through the Settings.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2017, 09:43 AM   #1233
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

On the new home screen, when you sideload, does it add a tile saying how many books were added?
Old 05-19-2017, 09:52 AM   #1234
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
On the new home screen, when you sideload, does it add a tile saying how many books were added?
No. The only indication is that the covers in the My Books tile will change to three of the new books.

And I'm impressed with the algorithm to choose those three covers. Someone has managed to code it to pick the three worst covers and put the most embarrassing one on top.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:54 AM   #1235
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
Quote:
It doesn't show how many books, just the number overall. It does show the last 3 books (although 2 of the covers are truncated) under the My Books tiles.

oops, crossed with davidfor's comment.
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2017, 10:04 AM   #1236
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F

Also, on the "old" home screen, when you side load books, a tile appears on the home screen saying how many ebooks were added; I don't know what the new home screen does.

Oops. Looking at this again, the tile wasn't from the most recent sideload? Maybe if you dismiss it before you sideload it would be for the most recent sideload?

And again, this was for the old home screen and old firmware.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:54 AM   #1237
Alan_S
Evangelist
Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura ONE
Quote:
Why doesn't someone in this field do the same when it comes to E-Readers? It's clear that there are a lot of people for whom this E-Reader holds no secrets. Wouldn't be a great thing if someone wrote a "Manual for E-Reader Dummies" which didn't concentrate on selling books but on entering existing books, manuals and documents? Wouldn't that be a great idea?
I read what you write here and maybe I won't help you very much, but problem is, there is many options for reader devices software wise.

For example, I don't use nickel at all (software you're struggling with is called nickel). I use koreader and it has file manager, not book manager (nickel has only book manager, i.e. what troubles you).

This is just one suggestion, that you maybe try to go koreader way. It looks like you understand files, folders, things like this better that pretty complicated way nickel works.
Alan_S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 09:19 PM   #1238
Futuregrace
Zealot
Futuregrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kindle Oasis 2019, iPad Pro 11, Voyage
Have I understood that this device can be in bathtub with you and you dunk it and it's fine or is it more like slash safe? Anyone use it in pool?
Futuregrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 09:25 PM   #1239
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

The specs say:

Quote:
Meets requirements of IPX8 rating. Waterproof for up to 60 minutes in up to 2 metres of water.
So, a lot more than a "dunk".
Old 05-19-2017, 09:44 PM   #1240
ratinox
Fanatic
ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, iPad Air 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
So, a lot more than a "dunk".
On the other hand, bath water probably isn't the best thing going for the screen. Likewise chlorine.
ratinox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 09:32 AM   #1241
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
And I'm impressed with the algorithm to choose those three covers. Someone has managed to code it to pick the three worst covers and put the most embarrassing one on top.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 07:15 PM   #1242
paulvro
paulvro began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
OK, due to some unforeseen things getting in the way it's only this past evening that I was able to use Calibre, both to erase a bunch of books my wife appeared not to want as to add a bunch she did want. All went flawlessly and the books appeared immediately after the "black period" that occurred after logging the Reader off the computer.

I am always careful in being overly optimistic but as for now I have the impression that Calibre solved the aforementioned problems. Too bad I had to go the Kobe and then Adobe route, this feels a lot more reliable.

Thanks again to all for your great help, and I'm sorry if I appeared somewhat scatterbrained. I just wasn't prepared for all these complications when I bought something which I more or less expected to be just as accessible as an external harddisk.
paulvro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 04:50 AM   #1243
paulvro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_S View Post
I read what you write here and maybe I won't help you very much, but problem is, there is many options for reader devices software wise.

For example, I don't use nickel at all (software you're struggling with is called nickel). I use koreader and it has file manager, not book manager (nickel has only book manager, i.e. what troubles you).

This is just one suggestion, that you maybe try to go koreader way. It looks like you understand files, folders, things like this better that pretty complicated way nickel works.

Thanks Alan, I just checked koreader but if I'm not mistaken it's an operating system for the Reader, not a file manager for the computer. Sounds sort of scary in case something goes wrong with the installation. In any case I would first need to have the correct Kobo software at hand in case something goes woring so that I could reinstall the original firmware.
Old 05-25-2017, 12:42 PM   #1244
Alan_S
Evangelist
Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura ONE
Quote:
Thanks Alan, I just checked koreader but if I'm not mistaken it's an operating system for the Reader, not a file manager for the computer.
It is just another software for reading ebooks.

Firmware is something completely different. You still would have firmware untouched (unless you start messing somehow with hidden system partition, which you usually don't see at all).

Also, nickel works on top of firmware, but when you do firmware upgrades, you usually update just nickel, or some very small part of firmware. But, this depends on actual firmware upgrade, recently Kobo went for 32bit image.

So, just look at it like having more than one reading software. I have 3 on my device (nickel I don't use at all, koreader I use and CoolReader, for just in case). You also would need to install one more software, KSM, to help you manage which reader you want to use.

It is not that complicated to install KSM, but you need to read instructions in KSM thread. Instructions are detailed and good. After that, installing koreader is just putting one directory (with all subdirectories, of course) in one exact location on your device. After that within KSM you choose which reader you want to use (koreader or nickel).

There could be a bit of learning, but not too much.
Alan_S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 03:04 PM   #1245
paulvro

Thanks very much Alan. It's good to know that these things exist. As for now my wife, being the owner and user of the Reader seems to be perfectly content (she always has problems using her laptop so there's no previous knowledge to get in the way) and my only task is to manage getting stuff onto and from her Reader for her. As it seems that Calibre is perfect for this I think that I'll stick with "Don't fix it if it ain't broke".

But I've registered your recommandations so whenever the need arises I've got something extra to try out. If I were the user I'd most certainly prefer the Koreader as mentioned by you, but I ain't. I'm more into stuff like photography, radio and satellite communication, international politics and modern history. Not much of a reader or movie buff.
with kindest regards,
Paul.