Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 08-09-2017, 12:33 AM   #106
Hrafn
Evangelist
Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Kepler Pro, Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangri View Post
Is there a basis for this statement?
1) Trying it out on my own tablet.

2) The rainbow on the 'Camera' icon in point (4) of the page you linked to: the red-blue transition has good contrast in 'color', but is imperceptible in 'monochrome'.

Given that the other 'color schemes' (deuteranomaly, etc) are for forms of color blindness, it would seem obvious that this "developer option" is to allow developers to see how their app would look on a monochrome display, or to color blind users, not to provide some strange and undocumented benefit to end-users with that display or disability (if it were the latter, it would be an accessibility option not a developer one).
Hrafn is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2017, 03:25 PM   #107
zkip
zkip has learned how to read e-bookszkip has learned how to read e-bookszkip has learned how to read e-bookszkip has learned how to read e-bookszkip has learned how to read e-bookszkip has learned how to read e-bookszkip has learned how to read e-bookszkip has learned how to read e-books

Device: Onyx Boox Max Carta
Updating firmware from Linux

Just to say that, although the instructions all talk about performing the update from Windows, I've successfully managed to run it on my Max Carta from Linux (Ubuntu 16.04 LTS) using the Linux version of MfgTools available from https://github.com/NXPmicro/mfgtools

A few points to note, but TRY THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK:

(1) I had the update hang when I compiled using the default gcc 5.x ; using 4.8 seemed to work though (pass "CC=gcc-4.8 CXX=g++-4.8" as arguments to make when compiling).

(2) If you don't want to run the tool as root, you'll need udev rules as follows (there are two USB IDs for different stages, different to the ones required for Fastboot, ADB or USB mass storage):
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="15a2", ATTR{idProduct}=="0063", MODE="0660", GROUP="plugdev"
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="066f", ATTR{idProduct}=="37ff", MODE="0660", GROUP="plugdev"

(3) Usage of the command-line tool isn't well documented, but this is what I ran after compiling:

./mfgtoolcli -p 1 -o MaxCarta_2017-05-19_22-37_dev_0d4c523_user/ -c "MX6SL Linux Update" -l Android-EVK-SD

(4) The log file reports "Failed to initialize memory" and "Command Boot excute failed" at one point, but it seems the boot in fact succeeds as the rest of the actual update commands do proceed.

(5) At the end, the tool reports "Done" but does not exit until you press CTRL+C, and the device shuts down and no longer appears in lsusb at all. At this point you can disconnect and power on. As described for the update from Windows, this first boot will take a while!
zkip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 05:11 AM   #108
Randy11
Guru
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92
Thanks for this solution without Windows. I like it. If it's working, it's better than an 'chroot' session with 'Wine'.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
onyx android