Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-25-2017, 02:57 AM   #1291
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Aura H2O, Aura HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuram View Post
Hmm might make more sense to just cancel and re-order on the Kobo store. What format does the Kobo store deliver in, kepub?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
With Kobo you have two ways to obtain content; Kobo desktop and WiFi sync of the device will get the content in kepub format.

Alternatively via the website you can download in Adobe ePub format; this will be an acsm file that gets processed by Adobe Digital Edition (ADE) to download the actual ePub format.

Whichever route is used the content will be DRM encumbered.
For books downloaded either via syncing the Kobo desktop application or your Kobo ereader or downloaded from the website to your computer, DRM is not necessarily present. I'm finding that about 30% of the epub format ebooks I download from Kobo's website need ADE to process the .acsm file, the remainder are DRM free and download directly to an .epub file. Admittedly, an epub file with a rather unfriendly name -- at least, I don't consider 9a43cf2c-9a41-435e-aefa-d5ccc44011f9-epub-fbf70bfe-6abe-4f28-be8a-da7dc8f06773.epub as a friendly name.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2017, 03:09 PM   #1292
Kuram
Enthusiast
Kuram began at the beginning.

Device: PW1, KAO (current)
If I'm sideloading books (to KAO), should I be converting to kepub or simply epub? I've read the pros and cons of both and it seems kepub is better/more responsive, unless I'm in fullscreen mode, using full justification, or worried about hypenation (which I'm not for all 3). Would like to get feedback of those who've actually used both extensively if possible.

edit: actually now that I remember, kepub will add a header that isn't removed with the Metazoa patches (at least that I saw in the options), so if I don't use fullscreen mode I will invariably have the header wasting space. Is that accurate?

Last edited by Kuram; 10-26-2017 at 03:13 PM.
Kuram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 03:53 PM   #1293
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Quote:
edit: actually now that I remember, kepub will add a header that isn't removed with the Metazoa patches (at least that I saw in the options), so if I don't use fullscreen mode I will invariably have the header wasting space. Is that accurate?
You can reduce the size of that header space in kepb, but you cannot remove it. ePub has no header and it renders the text better.

There are pros and cons for each format.

For kepub...
If you have a lot of footnotes
If you have images too small to see properly or read (like a map) because you can zoom in

Otherwise, ePub works well and displays the text better.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 04:17 PM   #1294
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle PW2 and Voyage; Kobo Aura HD and One
Quote:
If I'm sideloading books (to KAO), should I be converting to kepub or simply epub? I've read the pros and cons of both and it seems kepub is better/more responsive, unless I'm in fullscreen mode, using full justification, or worried about hypenation (which I'm not for all 3). Would like to get feedback of those who've actually used both extensively if possible.

Why not experiment and see what you like best? As JS Wolf said--there are pros and cons for each format.

My personal choice is kepub--because I like the in book statistics and chapter page numbering available with kepub. With kepub, there is an option to show "page count" by chapter instead of for the whole book in the footer. When this is chosen, the page count is actually a "screen count" of the number of "screens" for the chapter and will change when changing font/margin/line spacing sizes.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 04:30 PM   #1295
Kuram
Enthusiast
Kuram began at the beginning.

Device: PW1, KAO (current)
I come up with these questions while I'm at work, so I try to find the theory and then I'll put it into practice when I get home. The header on it's own is too much of an annoyance for me, so that settles my choice fairly easily.
Kuram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 05:42 PM   #1296
jackie_w
Wizard
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo AuraHD/Aura6"/AuraH2O/GloHD/AuraOne
Quote:
If I'm sideloading books (to KAO), should I be converting to kepub or simply epub? ...
I agree with dordale. Read a whole book of each format. Afterwards you'll probably know which you like best ... or which format drove you to distraction

Along the way, if something's really bothering you, it's always worth asking in the relevant firmware Patch thread if there's a way round your problem. Not all patches have been made public so you never know whether someone else once had a bright idea that they thought was too nit-picky for others to be interested in.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 09:22 PM   #1297
ebok
ebok began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
New to Kobo Aura One

Hi everyone. I just got a Kobo Aura One today and I'm stoked. I have a couple of questions:

1. How is the latest firmware compared to past with regards to stability and battery life?
2. Which firmware version should I be looking into if I want the best stability and battery life?
3. Which firmware version works best with nightmode and KOreader? Do I sacrifice stability and battery life to have those them on? If yes, is it even worth it?

Thanks!
ebok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 10:10 PM   #1298
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Touch, Glo, Aura H2O, Glo HD, Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebok View Post
Hi everyone. I just got a Kobo Aura One today and I'm stoked. I have a couple of questions:

1. How is the latest firmware compared to past with regards to stability and battery life?
2. Which firmware version should I be looking into if I want the best stability and battery life?
3. Which firmware version works best with nightmode and KOreader? Do I sacrifice stability and battery life to have those them on? If yes, is it even worth it?
I don't use the nightmode hack or KOreader, so I can't comment on them. For the others, I would probably suggest the latest release which is 4.6.9995 and will be what the device downloads during setup. Otherwise, it is probably one of the 4.2.x or 4.3.x versions. One of these might give better battery life, but I don't think it is enough to worry about.

To me stability isn't much of a problem. There are some things that would crash the earlier firmware, but for most you would be very unlucky to see them. Unless there is something specific you do want, or don't want, I think there are enough extra features, bug fixes and performance improvements to make 4.6.9995 the best choice for the Aura ONE. And most of the other devices.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote