Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 08-16-2018, 07:14 AM   #1
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
Icarus battery drain

My Icarus E564BK seems to run out of battery very quickly. I suspect it’s to do with various Google apps installed trying to dial out, even though I have the wi-fi turned off. Is it save to uninstall the Google Play services and the Google Play store? In terms of books, I only ever sideload via Calibre (to the SD card), and if I need a new app, then I can easily sideload it too.

Alternatively, is there a way to prevent apps from trying to dial out?
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 09:15 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddz View Post
Alternatively, is there a way to prevent apps from trying to dial out?
Turning off notifications may do the trick.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 04:40 PM   #3
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
Eventually I tracked down where to turn that off (not exactly easy to find!) We'll see how the battery does now.
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 05:21 PM   #4
airbus02
Enthusiast
airbus02 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.airbus02 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.airbus02 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.airbus02 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.airbus02 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.airbus02 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.airbus02 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.airbus02 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.airbus02 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.airbus02 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.airbus02 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: kindle pw3
note: Maddz, I just realized that we have different models of the Icarus. I have the 7.8" 300 dpi model, so the below may not be all that applicable. I suspect the android-based e-readers as a group don't do as well with battery life. On top of that, as you make the e-reader larger and more capable, it cuts into battery life. The Oasis 2 doesn't have the battery life of the paper white and the paper white w/300dpi doesn't have the battery life of the lower res version.

Having come from a Kindle Paperwhite 3, the Boyue/Icarus does not do as well either with passive drain (no use, no wi fi no bluetooth, no notifications) or with active battery use.

With the Kindle PW, I could charge the device and leave wi fi on while not using it for quite a long time (more than a week) with negligible impact on battery life.

Kindle's own estimate of 21 hours is about right (30 minutes/day for six weeks).

Essentially, I rarely worry about the battery with the paperwhite3. If it's been a couple weeks and I'm going to be using it, I charge it. Much of the time, I don't even look at the charge level.

The Icarus's passive battery loss (wi fi bluetooth notifications all off) no use, appears to be about 5%/day
with bluetooth and wifi on it's closer to 10%

Icarus itself says 12 hours of use (1 hour over 12 days) if used as a reader.
I suspect that's close. If I read for an hour in the Kindle App, it's about 10%. My guess is that using the native reader software would do slightly better.

If I use it as a tablet, my guess is that the life is a very tablet-like 6-8 hours. I write with mine, which I do with bluetooth and wifi on (to synch to google drive). I suspect this is one of the more demanding actual uses for it, since typing means constant screen writes, use of bluetooth keyboard, wifi, and writes to memory.

bottom line, it's generally fine for 2-3 days without my needing to charge it. Should I use it purely as a reader with everything off, a week would be reasonable.

It's not quite "don't worry about the battery", but I don't worry about it running out during the day unless I've used it for browsing (not really the best way to use it) writing for a couple hours or if I spent 6-7 hours reading (wish I had the time to do that).

Last edited by airbus02; 08-21-2018 at 10:45 AM.
airbus02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 02:05 AM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus02 View Post
The Icarus's passive battery loss (wi fi bluetooth notifications all off) no use, appears to be about 5%/day
I have my device set to power off after 2 hours of no use. Obviously when powered off it has essentially no drain from android or any app.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote