Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-24-2018, 07:18 PM   #121
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura Edition 2, Moto G5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma678 View Post
My Auro cannot memorize the last position where I exit the book, and it always returns to the beginning of the last chapter I was reading. It happens on every recent f/w. Is it normal? Or do I miss anything in Settings? My books are all in kepub formats.

Thanks.
That seems like the book is missing the kobo spans (they are used to keep track of the position). Did you use a tool like kepubify or Calibre to convert the book, or did you just rename it?
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 07:53 PM   #122
koboy
Fanatic
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
My Auro cannot memorize the last position where I exit the book, and it always returns to the beginning of the last chapter I was reading. It happens on every recent f/w. Is it normal? Or do I miss anything in Settings? My books are all in kepub formats.

Thanks.
are you noticing this behaviour with other/all (kepub) books?

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 11:01 PM   #123
ma678
ma678 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
That seems like the book is missing the kobo spans (they are used to keep track of the position). Did you use a tool like kepubify or Calibre to convert the book, or did you just rename it?
I renamed all epub books to kepub. I guess I shouldn't have done so.
ma678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 11:56 PM   #124
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Touch, Glo, Aura H2O, Glo HD, Aura ONE, Clara HD
Quote:
I renamed all epub books to kepub. I guess I shouldn't have done so.
That will work if you just want to see what the kepub reading experience is like, but the reading position and bookmarking won't work properly. You need to the spans geek1011 mentioned in the books. You can use the KoboTouchExtended driver in calibre, or a conversion in calibre or the kepubify tool from geek1011 to do this properly.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 08:32 AM   #125
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura Edition 2, Moto G5
Davidfor is correct. Also, after you convert, you may have issues with the right side of the page being cut off. If this happens, you can patch your firmware with the full screen reading fixes, or you can add the option --fullscreen-reading-fixes to kepubify.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 12:25 AM   #126
ma678
ma678 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
Davidfor is correct. Also, after you convert, you may have issues with the right side of the page being cut off. If this happens, you can patch your firmware with the full screen reading fixes, or you can add the option --fullscreen-reading-fixes to kepubify.
Thank you!
ma678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 10:45 AM   #127
serwei
Enthusiast
serwei began at the beginning.

Device: Smart Q7
Sorry to interrupt but I'm experiencing sideload epubs crashing on the KA1 but works fine on the old Aura with new fw. Anyone else? Wondering if it's a fresh loading or rendering issue as some books work if I jump a few pages in...
serwei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 11:24 AM   #128
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serwei View Post
Sorry to interrupt but I'm experiencing sideload epubs crashing on the KA1 but works fine on the old Aura with new fw. Anyone else? Wondering if it's a fresh loading or rendering issue as some books work if I jump a few pages in...
We need a lot more info than that. Start with a description of what is actually happening. And explaining what you mean by "crashing" would be a good idea. And, please, include the actual firmware version number you are using. The more explicit you are with the problem, the more likely someone will be able to help.
Old 07-05-2018, 11:31 AM   #129
serwei
Enthusiast
serwei began at the beginning.

Device: Smart Q7
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
We need a lot more info than that. Start with a description of what is actually happening. And explaining what you mean by "crashing" would be a good idea. And, please, include the actual firmware version number you are using. The more explicit you are with the problem, the more likely someone will be able to help.
Hi,

Well it's this firmware.
I just tried it with a Overdrive book, Stephen Kong's new Outsiders.
It opens blank, and crashes out back to My Books with tree book marked as Finished.
Seems random, as the other book that just crashed before now works.
Is there some trickling database in the background?
serwei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 11:50 AM   #130
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Aura H2O, Aura HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Air, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Quote:
Hi,

Well it's this firmware.
It opens blank, and crashes out back to My Books with tree book marked as Finished.
It would be more useful if you gave the firmware version. "this firmware" is useless, the firmware version is 4.8.11073 would be useful. If nothing else, it's on the Settings/Device Information page of your KA1.

Since you mentioned database, have you checked the SQLite database on your KA1 for corruption? If you are using calibre and have the KoboUtilities plugin installed, there is an option for checking the device database. Otherwise, google for SQLite database tools.

As davidfor said, the more information you can give, the more likely someone is going to be able to help you with your problem. Giving information that amounts to "my vehicle makes a funny noise" is not useful.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 02:11 PM   #131
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Glo HD, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Haven't we seen crashing issues that were related to the fonts being used?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 04:16 PM   #132
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Is it possible this crashing could be caused by a corrupt database?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 08:04 PM   #133
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Hi,

Well it's this firmware.
The behaviour vaguely described sounds like a problem that was seen with 4.8.10956. It was heavily discussed in the thread for that firmware, and was so such a problem that Kobo actually stopped sending that firmware out. It mainly affected sideloaded books, and they could frequently be opened the a second time. There was also a relatively simple workaround that reduced the significantly reduced the frequency of the problem. This problem was fixed with firmware 4.8.11073.

Now problems I have with your report:

Under no circumstances would I use the word "crash" for this. There were no error messages, you could continue doing things, the device didn't restart. Not a crash.

What is an "Overdrive book"? Is it a book you borrowed through the Kobo store? Or did you download it via ADE and sideload it from there? If the latter, then DRM made the problem I mentioned above worse.

"new fw" doesn't mean anything. The way Kobo offers firmware means that it can be a month to reach everyone. Plus, you posted this a few days after firmware version 4.9.11311 was released. Right now, depending on the device, where you are in the world, were you bought the device, where you signed up to your Kobo account, the "new" firmware could be one of four or five different versions. And if I include the Mini, there are two more. With all that, it is very likely that your two devices are running different firmware versions. Taking the 30 seconds to check and be explicit about it in your post cost nothing and saves a lot of potential misunderstanding.

Now, as stated, this sounds like a problem with firmware version 4.8.10956. It affected sideloaded epubs if the "Publisher default" font was being used. Changing to another font, other than the two Kobo fonts near the bottom of the list, would largely avoid it. Kobo have fixed this with 4.8.11073 by changing the default font back to Georgia.

There are some other causes for something like what you describe, but they usually means a book with errors, or reopening a book after it was replaced on the device.