Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 07-01-2010, 02:16 AM   #1
cristianm
cristianm began at the beginning.

Device: Boox 60, Kindle 3, PRS-650
Screen contrast

Boox's screen contrast is a bit lower than Kobo's, meaning that the background is perhaps up to 2% darker on a scale from 0% to 100%. Not much, and very readable still, but clearly noticeable.
Knowing there is only one manufacturer for the Vizplex screen, I wonder if any technical explanation is available. Since the screen is placed in front of the Wacom touchscreen, shouldn't be any difference.
... any technical savvy around?
cristianm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 12:13 PM   #2
Delta Tango
Groupie
Delta Tango can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Delta Tango can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Delta Tango can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Delta Tango can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Delta Tango can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Delta Tango can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Delta Tango can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Delta Tango can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Delta Tango can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Delta Tango can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Delta Tango can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Onyx Boox
It's probable due to the protective material placed over the actual display.
Delta Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2010, 04:11 PM   #3
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
are you using the same font in each? same book file?
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 08:19 AM   #4
cristianm

I used the same file (in fact I have the same book collection on both devices).

The difference is still there when I shut them down, aka blank screens. I've printed a rough calibration paper page with gray stripes going from levels of 1% to 14% grayscale in 1% increment, and I would say Boox has a background of about 9% level of gray and Kobo is closer to 7% (measured in natural light in a windowed room, otherwise these values may be lower - for example in direct sunlight).

There's absolutely no criticism in this, I'm perfectly happy with both devices ... just looking for a tehnical explanation if any.

Last edited by cristianm; 07-02-2010 at 09:00 AM. Reason: Measurement environment
Old 07-02-2010, 10:43 AM   #5
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
the reason for the difference would be something in the code that drives the display. I posted in another thread that if you read the Boox with full refresh off you get a whiter area around the letters than the normal backround. So their blank state is not as "white" as it could be.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2010, 06:52 PM   #6
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
I think the contrast is a bit lower in the Boox because the text is dark gray, not black. Look at the status bar to see what black really is.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 05:05 AM   #7
cristianm

For those interested to see the screens of Boox and Kobo side by side I took two pictures in the same conditions, loaded into Photoshop and converted them to grayscale.

If you open the Info Window in Photoshop and hover the mouse inside the black rectangle added to each picture, you see grayscale ranging from 28 to 32% for Boox, and from 23 to 27% for Kobo.

I think mr. Dulin is right, and I also found that minor differences may occur even in the manufacturing process of different Vizplex batches.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Boox.jpg
Views:	639
Size:	746.0 KB
ID:	54987   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kobo.jpg
Views:	642
Size:	773.0 KB
ID:	54988