Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-25-2013, 06:58 AM   #23776
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
When asking something of a Japanese, and they say 'hmmm... that would be a bit difficult,' most American business people would say something like, 'OK, how can I make it easier, perhaps expedite it?' not realizing that what the Japanese really meant was 'There is absolutely no bloody way in hell of this EVER happening in your lifetime or mine!' He just said it in a more polite way.
I suspect Americans have similar problems with English understatement and self-deprecation.

Coke Zero in my cup. I'm partial to a Coke Zero, now and then.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:59 AM   #23777
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Yeah, ok, note to self - Bring your katanas if you visit Japan - you might need them!
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2013, 07:01 AM   #23778
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I suspect Americans have similar problems with English understatement and self-deprecation.
I have quite a bit of experience talking with folk in various parts of the British Isles. It is quite entertaining, esply with the words that are pronounced/spelled exactly the same way, but have wildly different meanings...I'll never forget the first time some one told me they were heading to the store to buy some "fags" is a more tame example.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:47 AM   #23779
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
Yeah, ok, note to self - Bring your katanas if you visit Japan - you might need them!
Bring your magic armor too. These kids start practicing kendo in elementary school. By the time they reach college teams, they are smooth and fast. Most seem to lack creative strategy but make up for it with accuracy and speed. I have a friend who makes 1,000 cuts EVERY day, and has for the past 55+ years. You should see this fellow's arms and shoulders!

Just time for a small glass of lime juice and then bed... if I can get my lips to un-pucker.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:36 AM   #23780
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Rooibos Lemon. Doctors at 2:30, fever last night. No voice for two day.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2013, 12:14 PM   #23781
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Even after almost 20 years together, my wife and I often find that we are not 'communicating' on the same channel. We will both look at the same situation and see very different things. Then when we try to talk about them, the cultural language problems emerge and it often becomes a huge mix up.
Stitchawl
I have similar cultural problems with my wife. She's from Kansas.

Good luck, ProfCrash!

A quick tea and I'm off to see the horses!
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:07 PM   #23782
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
I hope you will be better.

Decaf Sumatra in my cup.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:52 PM   #23783
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
What does the baby think of a mommy who can't talk? Does he react oddly?
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:53 PM   #23784
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

He seems oblivious and is chatting more. I cannot wait for spring. This winter has sucked hard.

Cranberry juice and off to change a diaper.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:15 PM   #23785
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'll light the fire
You put the flowers in the vase
That you bought today

Our house is a very, very fine house
With two cats in the yard
Life used to be so hard
Now everything is easy
'Cause of you

( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fm-q0ELuk1A )

Good morning, everyone! The house is almost done! One more shoji to paper, a few more upper walls to scrub, then it's off to the shop for some silk flowers to decorate a bit... Mr. Estate Agent... Bring on the customers!

There is East India Company's "Royal Breakfast" tea in my mug today, and some home-made pita bread with Za'atar/olive oil on top, and a few Kalamata olives and hummus beside it. A good way to start the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
I have similar cultural problems with my wife. She's from Kansas.
Having lived a while in Junction City, Kansas, I can fully understand you dilemma! All those Tin Men, Scarecrows, little dogs, nasty old ladies on bicycles, etc., etc. It can be SOOOOO trying at times!

Quote:
I cannot wait for spring. This winter has sucked hard.
This has NOT been a good winter for you at all! I'm sure next one will be better! And Spring is just around the corner, so get well quickly so you can take Lucas out jogging with you!

One more cup of tea, then work, work, work!

Stitchawl
Old 02-25-2013, 07:20 PM   #23786
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
Being a mommy is hard work
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:33 PM   #23787
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

Spring will be nice. Walks, hikes, and softball.

Pneumonia twice, asthma, rotovirus,whatever virus I have now. I started the winter taking vitamins. I'll end the winter on four drugs and a nebulizer. I knew my immune system was going to weak after giving birth but this is nuts.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:55 PM   #23788
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
So Stitchawl, everything in Shogun is still true? To some extent? Like, it's still necessary to belch after eating?
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:20 AM   #23789
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by maianhvk View Post
So Stitchawl, everything in Shogun is still true? To some extent? Like, it's still necessary to belch after eating?
Pretty much so. While it's not 'necessary' to belch, it isn't considered bad manners the way it is in so many other cultures. And much of the polite interaction, even among enemies (business or otherwise) is still practiced. As in "Please excuse me, but my Oyabun has instructed me to cut off your right hand. I will try not to make a mess." Police have captured criminals who have been surprised during a crime or a fight because they ran off without putting their shoes back on first... Of course they took them off before entering the house to rob it... A woman always pours tea or sake for a man... You must always address someone as '-san,' '-sama,' '-chan' (for a child,) or '-sensei' and almost always in the third person; asking me 'would Steve-san' like a cup of tea? rather then 'would you like a cup of tea. In face, just to 'save face' in case I didn't want one, I would be asked "wouldn't Steve-san like a cup of tea" rather than presuming that I would... This is a BIZARRE country!

It's the most difficult culture to deal with that I have ever encountered in all my travels.

Women get angry if you hold the door open for them, people will stop to talk at the entrance to an escalator, having dinner with friends in a restaurant means that everyone 'may' get their food at very different times, and that's OK. No one waits until everyone is served. Little children are allowed to run amuck in department stores and supermarkets, tearing up and down the isles screaming with joy...If mother were to scold them, it would mean she hasn't properly disciplined them already, so she does nothing. And that's the norm. Besides, here, it is the school teacher's responsibility to teach the children manners and good behavior.

I think I'm ready to go back to Thailand.

More tea please, wife. (I should beat her. She should have been attentive enough to notice my cup was just about empty...)

Spoiler:
I'd try, too, but she'd beat the crap outta me! 4'11" tall...128cm... but don't mess with her...

Stitchawl
Old 02-26-2013, 04:07 AM   #23790
Iridal
Mysteriarch
Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 4, Kindle 3
On the down side: I don't think I have ever been more tired, I have a contact allergy on my hands and it itches like crazy (and I'm not allowed to scratch or even rub my hands AND I WANT TO SCRATCH SO BAD!), my throat is sore, my nose and sinuses are filled with an endless amount of yucky green stuff. I feel miserable.

On the plus side: Daylight War (Peter Brett - Demon Cycle book 3) has finally arrived yesterday! 800 pages filled with fighting and demon ichor to get through! And I have a coffee in my cup, which is keeping me alive at the moment. Barely ...
Iridal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
languages, tea enthusiasts, what is in your cup?