Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-08-2011, 06:50 AM   #61
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Two kindle PWs wifi, kindle fire, iPad3 wifi
I think there is a simple explanation for this: France is a bueaucrats' paradise. They have to have lots of pointless regulations so that the army of fonctionnaires has something to do in enforcing them.
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 06:54 AM   #62
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMB View Post
I think there is a simple explanation for this: France is a bueaucrats' paradise. They have to have lots of pointless regulations so that the army of fonctionnaires has something to do in enforcing them.
Isn't that a slightly ironic thing to say, given that you're in Switzerland? If anyone's fond of rigid regulations, it's the Swiss .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2011, 07:38 AM   #63
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

In my experience, they can't hold a candle to the French!
Old 05-08-2011, 08:43 AM   #64
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
I have wonderful news for you. The current copyright system allows you to buy as many copies of a book as you want to and to give them away one by one to increase human awareness.

You are just not allowed to make the authors and publishers pick up the check for your generosity.
There is no one by one in the digital realm, that's the wonderful thing about ebooks. Copyright is antiquated.
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 02:53 PM   #65
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
Buying from local stores will allow those local stores to continue trading and act as competition to the multinationals that put profit before everything else.
I'm so relieved! I can go to my local mom and pop and just pluck a book off their shelves since they don't care about making a profit. That's so nice of them to consider my needs above their own.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2011, 04:17 PM   #66
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by jplumey View Post
I'm so relieved! I can go to my local mom and pop and just pluck a book off their shelves since they don't care about making a profit. That's so nice of them to consider my needs above their own.
Too late, they already closed down. Looks like you'll have to make do with the latest Katy Price book from Tesmart instead.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 07:15 PM   #67
jorlin
jorlin began at the beginning.

Device: Bebook Club
Lightbulb Formula for eBook price

I live in the Netherlands, under Dutch and European law (fixed prices for books).

I love rummaging in antique bookstores to pick up some rare pBooks.
And I thank the fixed price system for the fact that not all of the regular bookstores are out of business, or my choice would be a lot smaller indeed.

Sorry for going offtopic for a bit:

I think the price of an eBook could be as follows (a bit simplified):
Code:
price(pBook) - [price of paper used for pBook/ individual copy]
Of course there is a certain balance between costs for hosting (including bandwidth) the eBook and the price of physical distribution of a pBook.
With both methods, the cost per book for the reproduction of the book will fall quickly.
The fixed price for the *author* should stay the same.
In the eBook world, it's much more feasible to publish in small numbers even by the author him/ herself.

I think the eBook model should really shine when it comes to educational textbooks. Those publications as pBook have a nasty habit of having a revision every year, making the last year's book worthless, because the teacher will reference the new, reviewed book.
In the pBook world this means that a lot of paper will be wasted making a book that some will only need a single year.

eBook textbooks on the other hand, could just be patched.
It's only logical that these patches should be far cheaper than the book as a whole.
This would save a lot of paper by adopters of e-readers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
(...)
You are just not allowed to make the authors and publishers pick up the check for your generosity.
Actually, Giggleton is allowed to do that, but only if *he is the author of the book*.

Last edited by jorlin; 05-09-2011 at 07:24 PM. Reason: making formula stand out
jorlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 07:58 PM   #68
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorlin View Post
I live in the Netherlands, under Dutch and European law (fixed prices for books).

I love rummaging in antique bookstores to pick up some rare pBooks.
And I thank the fixed price system for the fact that not all of the regular bookstores are out of business, or my choice would be a lot smaller indeed.

Actually, Giggleton is allowed to do that, but only if *he is the author of the book*.
**What If I am the author of all books, or what if you are**

Also, I still don't understand who these ebook sellers are, if not the author. Who is restricting who?
Old 05-10-2011, 04:49 AM   #69
DMB
Old Git

I have to disagree with jorlin. I too live in Europe (Switzerland) and buy very few books or DVDs here because they are so dear and I can usually get them at much better prices elsewhere. If I were restricted to buying locally, the result would be that I would buy far fewer books and when I did would play safe by buying things I am 100% sure I want. As it is, I buy cheaper books and am willing to try more authors I don't know or to give a second chance to someone who wrote a book I didn't like. If the book is relatively cheap, it doesn't feel like a failed investment if I discard it part-read.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:17 AM   #70
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
It is far from clear that price controls would help any market... price controls generally create deadweight costs and lead to suboptimal levels of supply.

But I think that is irrelevant. You want to support your local bookstore? Donate your own money, but don't try to donate mine.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:34 AM   #71
Giggleton
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
But I think that is irrelevant. You want to support your local bookstore? Donate your own money, but don't try to donate mine.
But that's the problem, the idea that you can own anything. If there was nothing to sell there would be no market.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:52 PM   #72
lindaf
lindaf doesn't litterlindaf doesn't litter

Device: kobo 1 and kobo wifi
In quebec (Canada), a set price for books has been looked at many times by the legislators. It never went through, but the thinking is that mega stores (like Costco or Walmart) which only carry bestsellers should not be allowed to sell them at cost (like some stores are doing). The small libraries need to sell the blockbusters in order to be able to stock some less popular books, like poetry or philosophy. As I said, it never went through, but what will happen now with ebooks? Will the librairians ask for something similar?
lindaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 01:09 PM   #73
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
It is far from clear that price controls would help any market... price controls generally create deadweight costs and lead to suboptimal levels of supply.
I'm not sure what you mean by "help any market." But I'm pretty sure that the point of these regulations is not to "help" the market. It is to restrict the market.

And it is very clear (and has been for many decades) that these regulations (and other, similar regulations, like shop closing laws) have had their intended effect. They are basically working perfectly - the number of small bookstores in France or Germany is unlike anything you will find in the US.

Quote:

This, of course is sort of the key point. (Sort of because you are not actually being forced to donate anything).
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 01:44 PM   #74
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by "help any market." But I'm pretty sure that the point of these regulations is not to "help" the market. It is to restrict the market.

And it is very clear (and has been for many decades) that these regulations (and other, similar regulations, like shop closing laws) have had their intended effect. They are basically working perfectly - the number of small bookstores in France or Germany is unlike anything you will find in the US.

This, of course is sort of the key point. (Sort of because you are not actually being forced to donate anything).
Hmm... I am sure that the lucky guy who inherited the small bookstore, is
perfectly happy that his life is so well planned out and insured by his society
and government. He need not even concern himself with the idea of ever
growing his business into a big bookstore, those aren't allowed. (Of course
if you have the right connections...) Yes, the semi-socialized Euro economy
is such an example for all the little shopkeepers of the world.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:04 PM   #75
Giggleton
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindaf View Post
In quebec (Canada), a set price for books has been looked at many times by the legislators. It never went through, but the thinking is that mega stores (like Costco or Walmart) which only carry bestsellers should not be allowed to sell them at cost (like some stores are doing). The small libraries need to sell the blockbusters in order to be able to stock some less popular books, like poetry or philosophy. As I said, it never went through, but what will happen now with ebooks? Will the librairians ask for something similar?
The cost of an ebook is equal to its price, which is in 99.9% of the cases set by the author. I'm not talking about true costs, maybe ebooks don't even have costs. Only price.

Things should get really interesting when more people have ereaders.