Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-03-2011, 12:02 PM   #1
billmilo
Connoisseur
billmilo has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
The Screensaver Thread

I searched in vain to find a thread which members shared their screesavers, but there was none. So let's see your screen savers, and if anybody has a request about a screensaver I can make them one or two.

Here are some I made today.

billmilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 01:56 PM   #2
jangell2
Addict
jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
You could start by indicating which kindle this for. Second, it's my understanding that you have to hack or jail break your kindle to install a screen saver. Seems like I've read a certain release of the kindle software has stopped jailbreaks. That true?

I'd like to have my screen saver with my own photos. Can you document how you made yours so that I might do my own?

Thanks.
jangell2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2011, 02:56 PM   #3
billmilo
Connoisseur
billmilo has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
These photos are 600x800, too small for the DX, but should work on other Kindles. I'm on 3.0.2, but the screensaver hack works on the 3.0.3 as far as I know.

I followed this guide to jailbreak my Kindle. https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kind...nd_3.x_Kindles

proceed with caution though.
billmilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 04:44 PM   #4
silasgreenback
New Leaf Turner
silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
With a lot of images, I'll insert the text "Ex Libris" + my name. A couple below are examples, minus my name.

Bentolman:

Crepax:

Emshwiller:

Manara:

Last edited by silasgreenback; 02-04-2011 at 01:49 AM.
silasgreenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:39 PM   #5
tokind
tokind began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 3g
awesome pics all!

could someone please walk me though the specifics of resizing ... i have made a couple of 600x800 images save in png... and smaller than 64kb... but no go
i have lightroom and tried that... no go... i tried photoshop .. no go... i tried faststone... no go... i must be doing something stupid or just missing something blaringly obvious, but i just can't get it to work... or... perhaps i need to re-install the ss hack?
tokind is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2011, 11:12 PM   #6
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
tokind

Where are you placing the screensavers. They must be placed in the appropriate folder created by the sshack. Then you have to actually RESTART your kindle.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:29 PM   #7
silasgreenback
New Leaf Turner
silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokind View Post
awesome pics all!

could someone please walk me though the specifics of resizing ... i have made a couple of 600x800 images save in png... and smaller than 64kb... but no go
i have lightroom and tried that... no go... i tried photoshop .. no go... i tried faststone... no go... i must be doing something stupid or just missing something blaringly obvious, but i just can't get it to work... or... perhaps i need to re-install the ss hack?
I do everything with MS Paint and sometimes Irfanview. If I bother converting to grayscale, I use Irfanview.

In MS Paint, I either use a blank 600 x 800 image and then paste into it, or open the image and change through Image>Attributes.

If the image is too large, you can shrink the % through Image>Stretch/Skew.

When the image is ready to go, just copy it over to F:\linkss\screensavers.

Here's the blank template, though if you get comfortable with resizing and manipulating attributes, it's not really necessary.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kindle Template White.PNG
Views:	503
Size:	8.2 KB
ID:	66007  

Last edited by silasgreenback; 02-03-2011 at 11:33 PM.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:05 AM   #8
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
very cool!

I've gotten so tired of the dead authors lately that I've been considering doing some. I've never gotten around to it though and I'm not very creative.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 09:34 AM   #9
DaveCR-V
DaveCR-V began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
very cool!

I've gotten so tired of the dead authors lately that I've been considering doing some. I've never gotten around to it though and I'm not very creative.
I agree Emily Dickinson creeps me out I would love to put my schedule in agenda form as a screen saver as the unit supposedly doesn't suck down any juice whilst displaying an image it would be helpful.
DaveCR-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 03:44 PM   #10
tokind
tokind began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 3g
@FF2 and Silas

Thanks for the suggestions! I think that I may have forgotten to do a full reboot after I put the images in... works now!! Much appreciated!
tokind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 05:27 PM   #11
maverixxx
maverixxx began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
First timer and very new, but already very hooked these are my first hand crafted screen savers.

maverixxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 05:46 PM   #12
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jangell2 View Post
You could start by indicating which kindle this for. Second, it's my understanding that you have to hack or jail break your kindle to install a screen saver. Seems like I've read a certain release of the kindle software has stopped jailbreaks. That true?
Yes, it's true you have to hack your own Kindle to add screensavers. But for anyone that has a Sony it's just a matter of copying and pasting the images into the correct folder on the Sony internal storage card. I'm not sure if Nook users have to do anything extra to add images to their devices.

I like the idea of a screensaver thread. It's applicable to all the major e-ink devices.
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 07:15 PM   #13
silasgreenback
New Leaf Turner

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverixxx View Post
First timer and very new, but already very hooked these are my first hand crafted screen savers.
Very cool indeed!

As a warning to you, I may wind up co-opting the first two and using them for bordering. Sometimes if images are on the smaller side, they look best with some sort of textured edging instead of a plain white or black background. What you've posted might be just the thing to use.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:50 AM   #14
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by silasgreenback View Post
Very cool indeed!

As a warning to you, I may wind up co-opting the first two and using them for bordering. Sometimes if images are on the smaller side, they look best with some sort of textured edging instead of a plain white or black background. What you've posted might be just the thing to use.
Silas - can you post back with your results? Nice idea.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 03:52 PM   #15
maverixxx
maverixxx began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by silasgreenback View Post
Very cool indeed!

yup done that before when I needed a border, tried one on my new baby as is and when it popped up on random I loved it so much I created the series.

Not sure about Copy right on some of the others I have so will hold off posting them till Im sure they are legal.
maverixxx is offline   Reply With Quote