Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-16-2007, 02:50 PM   #1
benn600
Enthusiast
benn600 is on a distinguished road

Fast: Storage

Where does Sony CONNECT store its data files, like the books? I see a folder in my documents but after copying everything FROM my brand new reader (all the pre-loaded stuff), it doesn't show up there.

Do most people clean it off and just keep what they are reading? I don't want it filled with a bunch of junk--just stuff I am currently reading or may need.
benn600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 03:10 PM   #2
benn600
Enthusiast

I found it:
C:\Users\[Profiles]\AppData\Local\Sony Corporation\CONNECT Reader\Database\kLibrary

That's for Vista.

I backed all the stuff up to my server so now I can delete some of it--that way I'll still have a backup copy.
Advert
Old 05-16-2007, 03:56 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
For the books you've purchased, Sony Connect keeps the purchased books in My Documents\My Books\CONNECT Reader. The purchased books all have a .lrx extension. This is of course for Windows XP Professional (not that God awful Vista)
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 04:14 PM   #4
benn600
Enthusiast

Don't you worry for more than a split second. I format our computers every summer, which is approaching, and I'll be reverting to XP.
Old 05-16-2007, 04:15 PM   #5
benn600
Enthusiast

It's too bad they can't store all the books in the same folder. Why do they need to separate everything? I also wish it had a built in FLAC -> mp3 encoder. I store literally all my music in FLAC, ripped from CDs I own, and it would be handy if it had that feature built in.

I use J River Media Center, which will easily do it, but it's an extra step and I need a place to store all the converted MP3s.
Advert
Old 05-16-2007, 04:23 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I use a Rio Karma as my portable music player and it handles FLAC, OGG VORBIS, MP3, non-protected WMA, and WAV. So I can keep my FLAC as is and it works quite well.
Old 05-19-2007, 09:39 AM   #7
benn600
Enthusiast

The only problem is then you can't fit a ton of music. My iPod Nano 8GB obviously doesn't handle FLAC so my media program, Media Center (not Microsoft), has an autoconvert feature.
Old 05-19-2007, 09:43 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I thought I was pretty familiar with music formats, but FLAC is a new one on me. What uses it?

Perhaps better to store as MP3 for maximum flexibility?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 09:45 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

FLAC stands for Free Lossless Audio Codec

It's free and open source. It's a lossless codec. An iPod with Rockbox can play FLAC easily.
Old 05-19-2007, 09:55 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Thanks - I'll do some research on that. As I say, I've not come across it at all.

Since I use my iPod mainly for audio books, quality is pretty much irrelevent to my needs. MP3s encoded at 64k mono are perfectly good enough for the spoken word, and you can fit a LOT onto an iPod at that sampling rate.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 03:09 PM   #11
bingle
Addict
bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT
Thanks - I'll do some research on that. As I say, I've not come across it at all.

Since I use my iPod mainly for audio books, quality is pretty much irrelevent to my needs. MP3s encoded at 64k mono are perfectly good enough for the spoken word, and you can fit a LOT onto an iPod at that sampling rate.

The good thing about FLAC, and the reason I use it, is that it's lossless - MP3 encoding strips out part of the music information for compression purposes. FLAC keeps all of the information, so it's perfect for archiving. You can store FLAC files, and transcode them on the fly to different formats.

If you try to transcode an MP3 file to another lossy format, such as AAC or Ogg, you'll end up with a worse file than you started with, because each format strips out different pieces of the file. With FLAC, you can safely produce MP3, AAC, or whatever format hasn't been invented yet.
bingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 03:17 PM   #12
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by benn600
The only problem is then you can't fit a ton of music. My iPod Nano 8GB obviously doesn't handle FLAC so my media program, Media Center (not Microsoft), has an autoconvert feature.
You should install Rockbox on your nano, best firmware for portable player and it supports FLAC: http://www.rockbox.org/
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 09:10 AM   #13
benn600
Enthusiast

It kind of looks like the viewable interface is horrible--just text based--from the screen shots?
Old 05-26-2007, 06:14 PM   #14
Elltrain
Elltrain began at the beginning.

Rockbox has full skin support. I particularly like Julius's:

http://pijulius.blogspot.com/2006/05...pod-video.html

It really is a great program -- and no more itunes mucking around with your file structures. You can drag and drop your files natively, and rockbox will read them. It will also build a database so you can continue to access your files through the ID3 tags, just like the apple software. It will also read all sorts of other audio formats, and add video support to non-video ipods.

Personally I can't stand itunes. A 70 meg program to transfer mp3s to a hard drive? yuck! It's worse than the connect store, imho.
Elltrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 08:13 PM   #15
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
FLAC is a good format although for lossless compression I favor Monkey Audio (*.APE) and transcode for the Creative Zen mp3 player. While I am not a fan of audio books, I am a big fan of Old Time Radio (OTR) and have thousands of hours of classic shows. (Yes, even an almost complete run of both Philo Vance and The Goon Show.)

Like Harry, almost all of them are encoded as 64k mono and sound great (given the age of the original recordings and the technical limitations of period for transcribing from AM radio.)

All that said, I do not keep any audio on the Sony Reader. It is great for books and the mp3 player is great for audio. I would rather carry two devices than comprimise the strengths of either.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote